Converting Spoke Wheels To Run Tubeless

Colin, there are many different kits, some better then others...the best option is changing rims. The subject came up in the dirt ducati thread...there are several manufacturers that make kits to swap rims, and many complete wheels as well. Alpina has a good set-up...

tubeless kit supermoto wheel rim rk excel outex

I can see this solves the problem of the air escaping through the spoke holes but it doesn't convert the rim into a tubeless one. Theres no lip to hold the tyre in place in the event of a puncture or a hard knock against the kerb

Yep, it will only work with a tubeless tire and rim.

I'm running outex on the rear 5.50x17" wire spoked wheel on my GT1000.
It will work best on a spoked rim where the spoke nipples dont protrude much from the dimples/recesses on the inside of the rim. Unfortunately, thats not the case with GT1000 rims. I lose around 1.5psi per day.

That said, plenty of people have good results from it. Depends how flush the spoke nipples are, (imo) and how good you prep the surfaces. Must be spotless.

I now have Alpina tubeless rims on order after finding a customs friendly Italian distributor that also waives the 22% vat.

The biggest problem would be in the event of a puncture the tyre would not stay in place allowing you to not crash and still be able to slowly ride it.
A few years back I bought a set of mag wheels for my Honda Wave not realising that they weren't tubeless rims, whilst they stayed up okay if you did let the air out the tyres popped in and were difficult to inflate again even with a high pressure airline

Just ordered some tubeless wheels for the BMW F 800 GS from Alpina-UK (looks like its an Italian company http://www.alpinaraggi.it/). Two wheels came to around USD$ 2,200 with shipping. Bearings, sprockets, brake rotors, etc.. will be taken from the old wheels.

Orange rims in a BMW will be interesting

tb bmw by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

My rims were buckled from Russia last year, replacing the rims for stronger Excel rims would have been over USD$ 1,000 and not tubeless

excel rims by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

On the Alpina tubeless wheels, it looks like there's a rubber/ soft sealing washer under the spoke head. I'll fill the tires with slime for sealing safety.

IMG-20160324-WA00033.jpeg

Swiss2.jpg

Their manufacturing process looks pretty good, they even offer lifetime warranty on their unique spokes

10387295_982270931863197_7278522895476801640_n1.jpg

I saw this recently and thought the same Colin. Googling found this:-
http://cyb.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/KTM/Tubeless/i-mT2KWZM
Interestingly, a close up seems to show the rims here do actually have the tubeless 'safety lip'.
Bit of a minefield, lots of differing opinion on the web, I looked into it for my 1980 BMW which has cast wheels and in the end fitted tubes.

On the Alpina tubeless wheels, it looks like there's a rubber/ soft sealing washer under the spoke head. I'll fill the tires with slime for sealing safety.

They're O rings Phil.
There's some downloads on the Alpina UK site on how to change them.

They're O rings Phil.
There's some downloads on the Alpina UK site on how to change them.

Im still putting Slime in them.

Might have to research the slime option and its compatibility with the Alpina STS system. Apart from punctures, the odd O ring will eventually develop a slow leak.
Does anyone in Thailand sell the Slime ?

MX Moto Shop in Chiang Mai, now offering tubeless 17"/ motard wheels for around 14,000 Bht for the pair. Not sure yet how they are sealing the spokes, presumably o-rings/ rubber washers.

13321839_786710098096668_8935458035109627341_n.jpg

Video of their wheels in the link below:

[video]https://www.facebook.com/mxmotoshop/videos/782190975215247/[/video]

As you can see from the photo below it looks like o rings make the seal on the spoke heads

13254125_780873998680278_8604345949765834623_n.jpg

Might have to research the slime option and its compatibility with the Alpina STS system. Apart from punctures, the odd O ring will eventually develop a slow leak.
Does anyone in Thailand sell the Slime ?

There are agents for Slime in Thailand.

Just got a friend to bring some Slime from the U.S, in checked luggage wasn't an issue. 2x 0.72 liter bottles cost US$ 20 for the two. Slime recommends 240ml per motorcycle tire, I'll add this when the tires are put on the tubeless rims/wheels. Probably will "paint" the spoke heads with the Slime.

13428358_10154993660543345_6063090136012401807_n.jpg

Your bike / wheels but why would use SLIME... dozen spare spokes incl. the sealing rubber rings on standby... voila'...
Currently getting around 5000-5500k's out of rear tyre (Karoo 3) with my F8GS, every time you would have to change tyre (messy) you have to refill the SLIME.
Did you check with the manufacturer Alpina about using SLIME as might affect the rubber rings, who knows but better to be 100% sure.
Love my Alpina tubeless wheel setup installed on the F8GS...'nuff said...

I'm concerned about a leak developing, lots of o-rings, you just need one to fail, chafe/ unseating from vibration, Slime might deal with that.

every time you would have to change tyre (messy)

I dont change tires & I think it might be worth the hassle.

One concern is that the Slime might be corrosive on the alloy rims, researching this currently.

Butch do you notice any material leakage over what tube deflation would be with the bike sitting un-used?

Your bike / wheels but why would use SLIME... dozen spare spokes incl. the sealing rubber rings on standby... voila'...
Currently getting around 5000-5500k's out of rear tyre (Karoo 3) with my F8GS, every time you would have to change tyre (messy) you have to refill the SLIME.
Did you check with the manufacturer Alpina about using SLIME as might affect the rubber rings, who knows but better to be 100% sure.
Love my Alpina tubeless wheel setup installed on the F8GS...'nuff said...

Butch do you notice any material leakage over what tube deflation would be with the bike sitting un-used?

Mate, lower tyre pressure for some offroad sections and re-inflate afterwards, does help to control tyre wear as well in my opinion with the K3's ~ no loss on tyre air pressure seen yet while bike is sitting unused for days.
Usually we have bike maintenance afternoon on Sundays (when in town) and wash / clean bikes and check fluids and any preventive maintenance work needed, would have notice any extensive air leakage thats for sure.

Highly recommend checking with Alpina about constant usage of SLIME concerning the alloy and rubber sealing rings.

Good to hear!! Might delay the Slime and test the integrity before hand.

Mate, lower tyre pressure for some offroad sections and re-inflate afterwards, does help to control tyre wear as well in my opinion with the K3's ~ no loss on tyre air pressure seen yet while bike is sitting unused for days.
Usually we have bike maintenance afternoon on Sundays (when in town) and wash / clean bikes and check fluids and any preventive maintenance work needed, would have notice any extensive air leakage thats for sure.

Highly recommend checking with Alpina about constant usage of SLIME concerning the alloy and rubber sealing rings.

[FONT=&quot]Yes i will order the spare spokes and orings , re the slime we do not recommend this as it has solvents that may damage the orings[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Regards[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Karl[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

Yes i will order the spare spokes and orings , re the slime we do not recommend this as it has solvents that may damage the orings

Regards

Karl

Karl referred me to Alpina Italy for the O rings.
Confusingly, the pdf download on Alpina UK's website states a different size O ring to what Alpina Italy quoted me.

- - - Updated - - -

I ordered the spare spokes and o-rings through him to save any confusion.

Karl referred me to Alpina Italy for the O rings.
Confusingly, the pdf download on Alpina UK's website states a different size O ring to what Alpina Italy quoted me.

- - - Updated - - -

I ordered the spare spokes and o-rings through him to save any confusion.

That should work

I only needed the O ring product codes as I will buy them from Mcmaster Carr next time I do a US order. They're so cheap I'll get both sizes that were quoted.

If you're swapping tires over from your old inner tube wheels, to the new tubeless wheels, be careful you didnt get a puncture with them before. My rear tire went down with the tubeless wheels, then someone reminded me I got a flat in China. Now plugged and holding 32 psi.

DSC_0312.JPG by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

750 Bht to transfer over bearings, sprocket, brake rotor & change the tires over to the new wheels.

14034962_10155199755333345_4951656773036580145_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom