Compact camera choices for motorbike touring

KTMphil

Bikes
2007 KTM 990 Adventure Suzuki DRZ 400
Compact camera choices for motorbike touring

Canon S95 IS

Most people would agree that the Canon S95 IS (USD$390) is probably the best compact camera for motorbike touring. It has the same sensor as the Canon G12 & G11, but a better faster lens!

There's a decent review of the Canon S95 IS below:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/recomme ... htm#pocket

D3S_6691-460.jpg

Canon G12

The Canon G12 (USD$ 470), is another great camera, which has a great cult following, but for motorcycle touring, it's bulkiness and extra weight doesn't make sense over the Canon S95 IS which has the same sensor and better lens, the S95 is also USD$100 cheaper.

Review of the Canon G12 below:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/compacts/g12.htm

0600.jpg

Panasonic Lumix LX5

The Panasonic Lumix LX5 is another decent choice (USD$400). Advantage's of the camera is its wide angle lens, the ability to add the Panasonic's G1 viewfinder & it will accept aftermarket zoom and wide angle lenses.

Review of the Panasonic Lumix LX5 is below:

http://lumix-lx5.net/

lumixlx5view-300x300.jpg

Below the Panasonic Lumix LX5 with an aftermarket lens attached

lumixLX5camera-300x300.jpg

Totally agree.. The s95 is on my wishlist at present.. size is fine, image clarity superb, and just a decent P&S.. Would like a bit more zoom but would come at the cost of lens speed and IQ..

The G series are a bit bulky.. decent cams.. but just that bit too big for a pocket.. Same goes for any of the micro 4/3s systems.. Theres times you might be prepared to carry the bulk for the IQ (or lens options with M 4/3) but its always a personal balance / compromise.

A few others in the lumix range stand out, especially with price v quality or if the shooter wants a really long lens option.. The ZS8 models have a 16 times optical zoom !! Or the TS3 ruggedized waterproof shockproof type jobs for really wet or rough trails.. Lumix tend to impress on image quality over many other brands at the same price.

Still for all around everything, and fitting in a pocket, the S95 is still my pic also.

I dont like to go anywhere without a camera, and having bust a couple of good cameras already, i now have a couple of small panasonics,like TZ4 10x and 12x zoom, and it wont be the end of the world when the rain/rivers/vibrations or crashes eventually destroy them.
The wide angle is 25mm on the newer one, easy to fit in a pocket, and the zoom is fantastic for the size.
They both seem to really struggle with autofocus for closeups like spiders, and most of the scenery(mountains, clouds etc)just seem all too hazy
I really miss shutter priority
Otherwise, the videos are good, and often a better option in low light
They were rated highly on dpreview,were in the top3 of the class.
5797928159_039965b981_z.jpg

The S90/95 is certainly the best out there. Small where it matters but with a f2.0. The Lumix LX5 is slightly better but the lens cap is not built in so one hand operation is impossible.

I use the Sony TX5, which is a waterproof tough camera, light enough to hang in my neck so on bike pics can be easily shot. Its also glove friendly as its the sliding cover design so there is no doubt if it is turned on or off. Great pics, great nightshots with its 6 shots combined feature. It also has a Panorama feature. This has now gone into storage as i just bought the Lumix FT3, a robust camera with GPS so my on bike shots can be easily traced on google map.

If robustness is not important, but size still is, the new bike bang for bucks digicam is the Olympus XZ1. With a f1.8 lens, pictures in unfavorable light will come out good. Best of all, at 5 times zoom it is still f2.5. You can get significant bokeh in portrait shots at 5x zoom and aperture set at f2.5. I have a G10 and S90, the XZ1 licks em both easily. The Art Filter features are also great, the occasional use may give a different and at times interesting view of the subject/scene.

The only bummer is the lack of an AE Lock feature, so backlit shots with fill in flash cannot be well controlled. This may be 1% of the time, and to me is not a deal breaker.

Smaller than the G10/11/12, its just very slightly bigger than an LX5. While it has a lenscap, one handed shooting is still possible, although you will still need both your hands to put the cap back.

Another value for money camera is the Nikon P300. A lot cheaper than the rest, it has an f1.8 lens too, but ends up f5.6 at the tele end.

If you can carry just one camera, then I'd choose the XZ1. For biking travel shots, its the best compromise between picture quality and portability.

The pics i shot on the Jobless Wanderers Thread were shot using a combination of Sony TX5, Canon S90, and a Sony A55 DSLR. Look there and see if you can spot which photos were by which of the three cameras.

Click Below for Jobless Wanderers Thread.
jobless-wanderers-thailand-laos-cambodia-2011-t478.html

Altho I'm a 4-wheeler, I do like my new, last year, Panasonic ZS7 digital camera. One reason is the built-in GPS feature. That's been real handy when I need to locate a photo on a map, and I've forgotten exactly where I took the pic.

The ZS7 price should be coming down as there's a ZS8 out now.

Amazon has both, as do lots of other www sites.

Believe the ZS7 camera is known as the TZ10 here in Thailand, at least that's what was on the one I saw at Future Park Rangsit a while back.

Mac

Mac - The Panasonic Lumix ZS7 get decent reviews

ZYFRONT-MD.JPG

Looks like you can order on the internet for around $300, so pretty good value....

...but for another 90 bucks you could have the Canon S95 & they last a long time.

KTMphil said:
Mac - The Panasonic Lumix ZS7 get decent reviews

ZYFRONT-MD.JPG

Looks like you can order on the internet for around $300, so pretty good value....

...but for another 90 bucks you could have the Canon S95 & they last a long time.

The Lumix is a good one, and with GPS its great for tagging positions.

The XZ1. Handheld. Picture of KL from Genting Highlands.
fbP8200105.jpg

Mike Hohman pointed out to me that the Canon Powershot S100 is soon to be released (Canon Powershot S95 upgrade) - retail price around USD$ 429

frontpage.jpg

From Mike:

"Coming in November at $429.

These 2 new features caught my eye:

Super slow motion movie recording (640 x 480 @ 120fps, 320 x 240 @ 240 fps)
Built-in GPS unit with image tagging and logger functions"

Review from dpreview.com (http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canons100/)

Preview based on a pre-production Canon Powershot S100

When Canon revived its Powershot S range with the S90 in August 2009, it was in acknowledgement of a clear demand from enthusiast photographers for high quality yet pocketable cameras offering extensive manual control. The S95, which followed almost exactly a year later, stuck with much the same formula - a relatively large sensor (at least in compact camera terms), a 28-105mm equivalent zoom lens with a fast F2 maximum aperture at wideangle, and a multi-functional control dial around the lens. But while its successor, the S100, looks much the same again on the outside, it is to all intents and purposes a brand new camera.

Crucially, the S100's three key imaging elements are all entirely new. The lens range has been extended wider and longer, to a 24-120mm equivalent 5x zoom; it retains the fast F2 maximum aperture at wideangle but is limited to a rather less-impressive F5.9 at telephoto (an inevitable consequence of the camera's compact dimensions). Secondly the S100 debuts Canon's latest DIGIC 5 image processor, which the company says is six times faster than the previous version, allowing more sophisticated image processing and noise reduction. But perhaps most significantly, the S100's image sensor is a Canon-made 12.1 MP 'high sensitivity' CMOS sensor in the 1/1.7" format (approx 7.5 x 5.5mm); only the second home-grown sensor the company has used in a compact camera after the Powershot SX1 IS of 2008.

Canon says the new sensor employs technology similar to that used in its EOS SLRs, including an on-chip noise cancellation system, and microlenses which cover more of the sensor area to improve its light-gathering characteristics. The company claims that this results in reduced noise and increased dynamic range; the maximum available ISO has accordingly been increased to 6400. A 4-channel readout system also substantially improves the continuous shooting rate, up to 2.3 fps compared to the S95's 0.9 fps. For real speed freaks there's also a scene mode that can capture 8 frames at an impressive 9.6 fps, but it's limited to JPEG images only, with no manual control.

The new sensor also allows the S100 to offer this year's must-have feature: full HD movie recording at 1920x1080 resolution, with a 24P output framerate. Unlike the S95, optical zoom is available while recording movies. This enhanced video capability is supported by a revised control layout, that now includes a direct movie recording button underneath your thumb on the back of the camera. Other features enabled by the new sensor and processor include user control over noise reduction, and a white balance system that can adjust different areas of the image separately to compensate for mixed lighting (when the camera is set to Smart Auto mode).

The lens's optical image stabilization system has been updated too, with no fewer than 7 modes available for different purposes including macro, panning, video, and tripod work. The 'Intelligent IS' system will automatically select the mode it considers most appropriate for the current shooting situation. The S100's lens also gains a built-in neutral density filter, as seen on Powershot G series, to allow the use of larger apertures in bright sunlight.

Also new to the S100 is its built-in GPS unit, similar to that used in the Powershot SX230 HS 'travel zoom'. This not only allows you to tag images with the location at which they were taken, but also includes a logger function that can keep track of your movements (regardless of whether or not you're taking pictures) and plot the result on Google Maps.

In terms of external design, the S100 gains subtle finger and thumb grips, which should reduce the chances of it slipping from your grasp if you're not paying due care and attention. The camera will also be available in a 'titanium silver' version alongside the more conventional black - this is not the shiny silver of the Elph / Ixus series, but a darker, matte-finish look.

I was sorely tempted by the G1x.. Especially as my missus seems to have snagged my DSLR and lenses.. But I still think the G format cameras as just a bit big for a 'tour camera' if your not a real shutterbug, and if you are the micro 4/3 panasonic GF3 is similar size with superior lens choices. In the pocket cams I still love the canon S.. Just (finally) ended up with an s95 which has sat with my brother in England so long, theres the 100 out for ages..

So much nice tech in cams.. Tho I will have to look at getting another DSLR.

Just ordered one.. couldn't stop myself. :roll:

LivinLOS said:
I was sorely tempted by the G1x.. Especially as my missus seems to have snagged my DSLR and lenses.. But I still think the G format cameras as just a bit big for a 'tour camera' if your not a real shutterbug, and if you are the micro 4/3 panasonic GF3 is similar size with superior lens choices. In the pocket cams I still love the canon S.. Just (finally) ended up with an s95 which has sat with my brother in England so long, theres the 100 out for ages..

So much nice tech in cams.. Tho I will have to look at getting another DSLR.

Sony Nex 5N
Image sensor size,comparison
G1X 18.7 x 14.9 mm
Nex 5N [highlight=#ffffbf:1k9qjyw9]23.5 x 15.6MM[/highlight:1k9qjyw9] equivilant to the EOS 600D

Nex 5 comes with Lens 18-55 mm.
CMOS 16.1 million pixels.
These 2 cameras almost identical in price the Sony with larger sensor and ability to change lenses.
I well see how Phil likes his G1X

sensor size.jpg
video-film-sony-nexn_-elon_1.jpg

For me the big draw with the higher end stuff is low light (so what F stop are you getting on the lens through its zoom range) and can you get nice depth of field effects.

Really that Sony looks impressive.

cnet.com is liking these new Sony cameras too...

Midnitemapper said:
Sony Nex 5N
Image sensor size,comparison
G1X 18.7 x 14.9 mm
Nex 5N [highlight=#ffffbf:aljth5if]23.5 x 15.6MM[/highlight:aljth5if] equivilant to the EOS 600D

Nex 5 comes with Lens 18-55 mm.
CMOS 16.1 million pixels.
These 2 cameras almost identical in price the Sony with larger sensor and ability to change lenses.
I well see how Phil likes his G1X

[attachment=1:aljth5if]sensor size.jpg[/attachment:aljth5if]
[attachment=0:aljth5if]video-film-sony-nexn_-elon_1.jpg[/attachment:aljth5if]

Midnight Mapper has been playing with his new Sony Nex 5N , the results are quite impressive, would be interesting to see the same shot with his Canon G12

don sony nex 5 test.jpg

Don - What P & S are you currently using? If they are not the waterproof/dustproof variety how do you carry them and how long do you typically get out of your P & S before they begin to fail?

I'm interested in trying the Canon S95. My concerns is that most of the riding is offroad and I worry about the telescoping lenses reliability in that environment. Do you use telescoping lenses for your point and shoot?

I'm currently using a Lumix DMC-TS1 (waterproof, dustproof, 28mm equivelent lens, blah, blah).

thumbnail.aspx

In 2009 it won reviews as the best waterproof P&S. Sadly I fall and crash bikes into far too many rivers.

P1070630-XL1-L.jpg

So people is a camera like the Canon S95 likely to produce better quality images and help mask my inadequacies with a camera better? or do i just stick with the ole Lumix?

Justin,
I am really sold on the Canon G 12 it is a very robust camera with a metal body [highlight=#ffff40:209a2f7g]easy controls to use[/highlight:209a2f7g] and fits easily into your pocket.
I don't look at cameras with cell phone batteries but prefer the robust 7.2 volt 1000 milli-amp batteries that really do the job in the long haul.
battery.jpg
This camera is in no way dust proof or waterproof, however I buy these at Big Camera, which is backed up by the Canon warranty and the incredible Canon service you get in Thailand.
The first time the rotating LCD went out I e mailed the service department with detailed description of the problem they said send it to Bangkok and it will be returned in a month or so... NOT good.
However later I found out that the local service centers will fix it while you wait, if they have the parts. So off to Kon Kean and they did just that, New LCD in an hour and they cleaned the whole camera, also!
Months later and thousands (20,000?) of dusty, muddy, trail photos, the G12 gave up the ghost, 8 months after purchase.
The lense was terribly scratched and LCD was gone again and most buttons did not work.
Still under warranty Big Camera sent it for repairs to Bangkok, Lo and behold it is returned 6 weeks later looking like new. The replaced all scratched and damaged parts including the lens!! However one of the buttons refused to work so they are extending the warranty for me until this is repaired!

Now I am so glad I bought the camera in Thailand not saving a few dollars buy mail order in USA. Now I buy the extended warranty on the Sony 5N and spare G12!
Canon Service and Big Camera should be commended!

Canon G12 excels at most things including the Panorama feature, which unfortunately must be done "post process".
Here is an interesting macro shot ...of this bug crawling on my computer and chair last night, Night macro shots of big bugs
Asian long-horned beetle
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asian_long ... tle#Damage
In the wild, Asian long-horned beetles require between one and three years to reach maturity. The adult lifespan is about 50 days for males and 66 days for females
Check out the link
bug2.jpg

bug1.jpg

Canon G1X test

Testing the Canon G1X against the Nikon D90 with 28-70mm f2.8 lens & a Panasonic Lumix LX5

Canon G1X auto settings

canon g1x standard.jpg

"REVISED" (saved the correct settings) Canon G1X with vivid, AWB adj & -2/3rds exposure (Ken Rockwells quick settings)

canon g1x vivid revised.jpg

Panasonic Lumix LX5 with vivid cranked

lumix lx5 vivid.jpg

Nikon D90 DSLR with 28-70mm f2.8 lens and vivid cranked

D90 vivid  28 70mm lens.jpg

Initial conclusions:

Need to play with the Canon G1X a lot to get the setting correct, managed to get the vivid to save and doesn't look so bad! (an evening with Danny Bowes has been planned)

You often seem to like to go for the almost cartoonish level of color with your cams ??

Vivid with either of those looks way off to me.

LivinLOS said:
You often seem to like to go for the almost cartoonish level of color with your cams ??

You don't think they look too bland without it?

KTMphil said:
LivinLOS said:

I agree that it over-saturates the images. I rather go for something more soft like this:

Canon g1x:
canon g1x standard_2.jpg

D90 with -30 saturation
D90 vivid  28 70mm lens.jpg

Probably a matter of personal choice.

Edit: after posting I realize that it's still very saturated and too dark. Somehow it is very dependent on your monitor settings as well. Anyways I don't think you can rely on those color effects (like the vivid option) to test the camera's quality.
Check how true the colors really are, how it behaves in low light conditions, different situations (for example with a very high shutter speed for sport photos), vignetting, chromatic aberration...

*Of course it's all subjective to the viewer, and on what monitor are you viewing?
Is it calibrated? On my Dell U 2410 those "overcranked" images look "fake" but on the normal laptop monitor are OK.
So the editor picks a middle ground were the average viewer on the average monitor looks OK.
the D90 images look clean on Dell U 2410 Shadow detail is lost on the G1x shots and color is bland.

Don't forget the 2nd half of the equation, the monitor!

What monitor you use makes a big difference, unfortunately. Even 2 copies of the same monitor will be/can be different. I have a 21 imac with a 27 cinema next to it and even these 2 don't quite match, even after calibrating both of them repeatedly. On top of that, even which browser you use will make a difference. Stay clear of IE if you can. You really can't go wrong with the 27-inch apple cinema display, it is really a stunning monitor and worth the money.

I like Max's renders the best, he's got the blues to come out in the skies, which is nice, but they are a little dark, like he says, and they have lost considerable detail. But anyway, all these cameras are going to take good pictures. It's less about the technical aspects of the sensors and lenses, and more about what you can do with it... :) The NEX7, 5n, the Canon G1X, the Panasonic GX1, and the Oly OMD, are all small and very capable/fast, just depends on 1) which one you like to actually handle/use the best and 2) and which one produces images that you personally like the best.

Like they say, the best camera is the one that you have with you, and all these can go anywhere, anytime.

Panasonice Lumix DMC-FT3 (same as DMC-TS3)

bigntall said:
I'm currently using a Lumix DMC-TS1 (waterproof, dustproof, 28mm equivelent lens, blah, blah).

In 2009 it won reviews as the best waterproof P&S. Sadly I fall and crash bikes into far too many rivers.

ts3.jpg

http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/compact/ts3_ft3/index.html
Last year I picked up my camera at Sim Lim Square, Singapore. I knew at that point that I needed a rugged camera as I have a tendency to meet the ground at times. ;-)
It fits in my blue jeans' pockets with ease.
I probably use about 10% of its functionality so usage tips are most welcome. I am hoping the images in my most recent posts are "dull" due to the air pollution and not my camera skills.

Lumix

Jb2112 - Looks like the ole Luumix has not changed in a few years. Mines almost the same. One of the things I have difficulty with is taking pictures in difficult lighting. This camera seems to have a difficult time with exposure. This was taken with the Lumix and i have tons of shots like this where the pic has difficulty in mixed light (which I'm assuming is awkward for most cameras).

P1020844-L.jpg

When setting up a P & S cameras settings what settings produce the best images as a very general term for this type of setting? Do you put it on Auto, or try a portrait setting which will hopefully blur the background or a scenery exposure that puts everything in focus? Are people shooting in RAW? This stuff is all new to me and trying to get better results without resorting to new gear. Unless the Canon S100 (s95) is the answer, haha.

Midnite mapper thanks for the reply, and good point on batteries bigger than your average cell phone for field work. Great advice with buying from Big Camera and just getting the additional insurance on the camera and just expect to utilize the warranty and repair Do they have a policy that covers accidental damage? I checked the website and there is no S100, only the S95. Are they usually a few months behind in terms of receiving new product? Sadly I don't think I have the patience for hauling a large camera about like the G12, but the S95 and the like would be doable. Don where and how do you carry your cameras and not drown them? I ruined one Sony in rain, one in the dust, and two phones in river crossings hence why I ride with a waterproof camera now and a bit hesitant to go back to non waterproof cameras.

KTMphil said:
LivinLOS said:

Most of the times our pictures are documenting a ride or situation and maybe should reflect what was there, not necessarily some software's morbid adjustments, and basically end up distorting reality. I absolutely suck at post processing and the times I have tried with using it it comes out all different than what was actually there. Kind of cartoonish as LivinLos states. When its hazy and dirty out do we really need to bump up the saturation and color levels to make the scene into something it wasn't? Its subjective, and like everything we all have our opinions on what we like. Of course others have a wonderful knack for doing it right, I'm just not one of them.

With the Canon G1X held stationary, using the HDR setting, where the camera takes several shots of the same image and overlays them, looks like it will be an interesting function

Taken in the HDR setting

6990393461_5bed6c231c_b.jpg

That looks a cool setting, much more natural. Are the file sizes a lot bigger with that setting?

bigntall said:
That looks a cool setting, much more natural. Are the file sizes a lot bigger with that setting?

The Canon G1X HDR file size is actually smaller, only 1.9 MB (standard file size at 14 MPIX is 3.9 MB) ...will have to check the file size settings on HDR

Re: Lumix

bigntall said:
This was taken with the Lumix and i have tons of shots like this where the pic has difficulty in mixed light (which I'm assuming is awkward for most cameras).

P1020844-L.jpg
For something like that shot, with a brightly lit background, you're best off forcing the flash on. This will reduce the shutter speed and the exposure of the background.

The talented photographer Danny Bowes ( website http://www.unitone.org/dbp/) came over to test out the Canon G1X tonight.... this is what he did in the dark in manual settings (adjusting the shutter speed and exposure himself)

I think the shutter speed was 8 seconds

danny 1.jpg

danny 3.jpg

Quite impressed with the Canon G1X so far, was good to have the Canon S 95 with us too in China for comparison.

The zoom isn't so great, something like this looks better for zoom

nikon  zoom.jpg

CNET just did a rugged camera shoot out of this camera v's the Olympus tough-TG1.

The video of the test is in the link below, looks like the Olympus came out on top very slightly:

CNET TV | Video Product Reviews, CNET Podcasts, Tech Shows, Live CNET Video - CNET TV

ts3.jpg

DMC-TS3/DMC-FT3 | PRODUCTS | LUMIX | Digital Camera | Panasonic Global
Last year I picked up my camera at Sim Lim Square, Singapore. I knew at that point that I needed a rugged camera as I have a tendency to meet the ground at times. ;-)
It fits in my blue jeans' pockets with ease.
I probably use about 10% of its functionality so usage tips are most welcome. I am hoping the images in my most recent posts are "dull" due to the air pollution and not my camera skills.

CNET just did a rugged camera shoot out of this camera v's the Olympus tough-TG1.

The video of the test is in the link below, looks like the Olympus came out on top very slightly:

CNET TV | Video Product Reviews, CNET Podcasts, Tech Shows, Live CNET Video - CNET TV

Interesting but the last 2 rounds of the fight show the pair are venluy matched.

I must admit if I needed to make a choice I would go with the Olympus just for handling and accessibility.

Thanks for raising this old post Phil... 1 year old, amazing how time fly's !

Ally

I use a Nikon AW100 P&S hung from my jacket. Water and shock resistant. It replaced a S6100 Nikon that was neither water nor shock resistant, which succumbed to an attack by an adolescent bull elephant... which threw the bike and me 3 metres. The Nikon DSLR around my neck survived... although it replaced a D100 that "drowned" in the tank bag in Flores. A prior camera, a Canon Ixus 105 also drowned when it fell out of a tank bag into a stream.

[h=1]Fujifilm X-E1 [/h]

Just released, a cheaper, smaller, and faster version of the Fujifilm X-Pro1.

View attachment 9701

Hm. A cheaper, smaller, and faster version of the Fujifilm X-Pro1 with only a few compromises? I expect it will take some intense testing to figure out where the downside is, but for now I'm trying mightily to silence the voice in the back of my head shouting, "Sign me up!"
(Credit: Fujifilm)
Based around the same excellent, antialiasing-filter-free sensor and image-processing subsystem as the X-Pro1, the X-E1 replaces that camera's hybrid viewfinder with a high-resolution electronic viewfinder. (See the X-Pro1 review linked above for an explanation of the sensor.) Fujifilm claims that the EVF is bright, with a 1:5,000 contrast ratio and a dynamic range sufficient for you to see differences in its film simulation modes. Aside from that and the smaller, 2.8-inch LCD, the body looks quite similar, with effectively the same control layout and attractive retro design. The company claims it's about 30 percent smaller overall, with magnesium alloy top and bottom panels.
(Credit: Fujifilm)
The most important improvement should be the new autofocus system. There's an AF motor in the body and the new lenses incorporate a linear motor for faster physical operation, and the combination theoretically delivers much better AF performance. The AF motor alone should deliver better-than-X-Pro1 performance as well with the older lenses, and Fujifilm says that with a firmware update you should see improved performance in the X-Pro1 with the new lenses.
What new lenses, you ask? Fujifilm's delivering the ones promised in the lens road map it roughed out at the X-Pro1's announcement in January, including the XF14mm f2.8 for $899.95.
The X-E1 will also be available in a kit with the new XF 18-55mm f2.8-4. At $699.95 the lens is more expensive than the typical 18-55mm kit version, but it's also a lot faster than the usual consumer model. And if the quality is anything like the other XF lenses, it's also a lot sharper. Both lenses use seven-bladed apertures, which is a bit of a letdown. If you're wondering why the X-E1 has a "traditional" EVF rather than the hybrid viewfinder, the new zoom lens partly takes the blame: you can't really use a reverse Galilean optical viewfinder -- the kind that used to be widely found in point-and-shoots -- with a zoom lens and keep it usable. You'll be able to buy them in November along with the camera.

WiFi enabled Canon Powershot G15 released

Z-canon-g15-top-s.JPG

With their latest enthusiast powerhouse camera, Canon leapfrogged the G13 and G14 names for the superstitious among us, landing instead on PowerShot G15. Luckily, this jump wasn't in name only. The Canon G15 boasts a bevy of advanced technologies, especially the 28mm wide-angle 5x zoom lens which starts out at a G-series-best of f/1.8 wide open and ends at a G-series best f/2.8 at full telephoto. That's some impressive speed and brightness throughout the entire zoom range. Add in the upgrade to a 12.1-megapixel, 1/1.7-inch High-Sensitivity CMOS sensor and a DIGIC 5 processor, and the G15 definitely has more imaging firepower to compete against its competitors' flagship compact digital cameras, which have arguably leapfrogged the G12 in recent months. It's nice to see that Canon's paying attention.
Sensor and AF performance. The new CMOS sensor is the same one built into the new S110, and it includes technology brought over from Canon's EOS DSLR sensors. The company says the sensor has "a wide range in the light-receiving surface area per pixel," thus improving light reception even in low light. ISO ranges from 80 to 12,800 -- a huge upgrade. The new sensor and the DIGIC 5 processor work together to help make AF speeds and shutter lag considerably faster in the G15 (53% and 45% reduction compared to the G12, respectively), according to Canon.

More in the link below:

Canon PowerShot G15 Camera - Preview

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
KTMphil Bike Talk 0
Back
Top Bottom