Chiang Rai to Chiang Mai - offroading.

crs

Bikes
KTM 250 EXC-F
Seemed like we were going to get a few days of dry weather, so thought I'd have a try at a Chiang Rai - Chiang Mai run before the rains mess things up…

Good route, on the whole - the only bummer is the amount of road you have to cover to get into/out of Chiang Mai. (Looking at the landscape from the 1001/118, I'd be surprised if there's not some excellent tracks hiding in there that might be used instead - but not practical for me to go exploring all that way beforehand.) Also, some of the grading work north of the 1150 spoilt what could have been nice riding in great scenery - but, when they've finished the job, it should be a good, fast joiner.

It's all on this big map: LINK - well down to the 1150, the rest is straightforward on already mapped tracks. The light green line is the way I went down - the darker green line just shows any different ways I came back.

(I used OCM for the background to make this map - I've put all the tracks up to OCM/OSM but it often takes a week or so before they show so some of the tracks and village names are missing. I'll redo in a couple of weeks.)

After leaving CR, the first off road part starts here, at a tea plantation near the Akha Hill Resort:

1.jpg

The track (double, bit steep and rutted) is shown in this vid taken when I rode it a few weeks back with Jim (with a bit of Floyd muxing as the mic was turned off):

After that, there's a bit of surfaced road between villages and a wide, graded dirt track - which isn't bad for a burn, but they are surfacing it from the far end up to just near where you turn off for the next trails section - which takes you down to Huai Khrai. Double with a bit of single, nice views - I like it.

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

You can get drinks, snacks, food, petrol at Huai Khrai - then you need to ride a bit of surfaced south (I explored very hard to find an offroad alternative but couldn't) down towards the Mae Suai reservoir. I at least found trails off to the south west last week which you can use as a joiner to bring you out on the 109 and skip some road. Vid of part of this, taken on the return here:

Petrol, drinks, food on the 109 then sealed roads south past the Chiang Rai Winery(?) to the 3259; west for a bit on graded till you can get back off road and head over the hills continuing south. There's a couple of ways you can do this - a few using different tracks to take you to the top then on from there (some a little easier then others) or there's a long steep, tricky single track further west that's good - but not if you're trying to be quick. Some pics for the way I went below- the first bit is steep but then it's a real nice trail. (Although the early rainy season winds meant the odd windfall problem - and I had to get the machete out...)

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

Here's a vid taken coming back the other way of most of it. (Sorry but there's a loud noise a couple of times when something gets stuck flapping by the mic - goes away each time after a few minutes.)

After getting over the hills you come out on to tracks like this:

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

But there's grading work in places (sign of the times):

17.jpg

If, after the work's finished, it ends up looking like this, I won't mind... But right now it's a dusty, hacked up work site for a good stretch.

18.jpg

Then down to the 1150, where you can get drinks, food, petrol... You can go the alternative way, via Phrao - which I did on the way back. Obviously more food choice in Phrao, and accomodation if you want to stay over - it didn't really take any longer as, with all the current grading work, the deep dust makes it slow going the more direct route. (Though that will change when the work's finished.) The road north east from Phrao is mostly well used, graded double track. Bit boring but better then the other way at the minute.

18b.jpg

South of the 1150, it's nice easy going trails. Good scenery and interesting enough tracks which you can do pretty fast. Lots of little hamlets - reminded me of Laos. Surprised to see this lack of development so close to CM. Some of the track is surfaced near the villages and on steep sections, but the majority is dirt. You could do this in a 4x4 fine.

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

Then you can either choose to go down to the 118 and into CM or over to the 1001 and in that way. The track over to the 1001 is OK, but not so much fun as previous due to more use. The 118 way is faster some -which is how I went on return. Real shame there's not better offroad routes to get you closer to CM... Unfortunately, the drive in or out of CM on either the 1001 or 118 is a pain in the ass - literally for me with my cut-down seat.

On the return the next day, like mentioned, I checked out going via the 118 and Phrao. The only other difference was nearer to CR when I saw dark clouds on the horizon and then it started to rain, so I chose a quicker, easier route back to CR from Huai Khrai. Still not bad trails though.

06460001.jpg

On the way down I covered 295k in 9 hours 30 minutes (7.2 hours moving time) and on the way back up it was 280k in 7 hours 50 minutes (6.4 hours moving time).

On the map you can see 'stops'. (The stops not marked are CR, CM, Phrao and where trails met the 1001 and the 118.) From these, you can figure how long it took to cover various parts of the route.

CR - 08.50
Stop 1 - 10.50
Stop 2 - 11.50
Stop 3 - 13.45
Stop 4 - 15.35
join 1001 - 17.20
CM - 18.25

CM - 08.15
exit 118 - 09.15
Stop 4 - 10.45
Phrao - 11.20
Stop 3 - 12.40
Stop 2 - 14.00
Stop 1 - 15.00
CR - 16.00

Here's the gpx for CR>CM and CM>CR.

View attachment CMtoCR.gpx
View attachment CRtoCM.gpx

Also, here's a big GPX mess
for all the exploring work I did. (Basecamp should open it - I think. Auke, let me know if you want more details, the single gpx tracks, whatever.) There's plenty of roads and previously mapped tracks amongst this but also quite a bit of unmapped. Note,some of this is goat tracks / rabbit runs leading to nothing ridable- just as a warning. If you view it all you can see the many places where I nearly made joiners to allow a route, but no go. (Trust me, I really tried - much getting stuck, etc.) Found some quality single track - shame I couldn't make a route out of it.

Screen Shot 2014-04-22 at 21.17.47.jpg

View attachment mess.gpx

As mentioned, I've added all the new tracks (cleaned up and edited to suit) on OSM/OCM already... They should all show in a week or so.

(I prefer the elevation mapping on OCM and the bilingual naming of villages but OSM differentiates track types better. E.g., I've marked some stuff from my exploring as footpaths and these show differently on OSM - but not on OCM.)

Bloody awesome Chris, like you say the single track sections have some nice fast bit's in and the video helps, but they would be a real bitch in the rainy season.

Hat's off for getting this stuff together :worthy:

Awsome...can't wait to get up north again and try some of those...best way to get back in shape. Thanks for the pics and maps

Chris - on your link map, looks like your link up trail hits R 109 way over to the east almost at the R 109 / R 118 intersection?

chris link up.jpg

Chris - the red route / line on the map below, is that the way you linked up R 109 to R 1150

Yes, that's the way I went on the way down. I went via Phrai in the way up. There's other ways - check the mess.gpx

EDIT - no it's not the way I went this time - those tracks are in the mess.gpx...

Sorry, on my phone so couldn't see properly.

Chris - on your link map, looks like your link up trail hits R 109 way over to the east almost at the R 109 / R 118 intersection?

The route from north of the 109 down past the 1150 roughly follows the CM/CR border.

Looks like you've got it all sewn up, tremendous work.

The two different rotes linking R 1150 to R 109 (at last)

1150 to 109 txt.jpg

109 to 1150 with txt.jpg

The fact that the right turn at the river was not mapped makes me think it's either deep in rainy season or just plain old nasty, can you remember it?
Nah - it's easy double tracks between villages there - check OSM or google.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the thanks, guys.

Quite a Coup . Serious Navigation done with the Iphone. Well done ;)

Yes that's quite a coup Chris, more interesting tracks filled in around that area

This is what it was like between the track I found and the one on the North Thailand map I linked up with. (That bit was already on OSM, Google, Bing, Nokia...) Might have been the odd rough or steep bit but I doubt whoever mapped that area for the North Thailand map stopped where they did because it was too difficult - unless it was done ages ago or in bad rains when track conditions were worse. Probably just ran out of time or something...

(EDIT: seems it was Justin, Luke and Mark who gave that gpx to Auke - so very sure they didn't turn around cos it was too difficult.)

There's loads and loads of tracks and exploring to do around there. I might go stay in Phrao sometime next year and do some more riding about... Really like the landscape (some high alt' conifer wooded).

What would be good is if some CM based riders would go exploring N,NE of CM to find better trails and hopefully joiners to the tracks further north... Avoiding the 1001 or 118. I know there's that ferry route - might be nice but guess it's slow.

04480001.jpg

04540001.jpg

Perplexes me why we didn't find this last time we tried to push through there. Anyway - fantastic job Chris.

I should give a thanks to Slash and Bob who, I think, were the first to map the track south of the 109 (roughly running parallel to it) that I headed down from over the hills towards the tracks already mapped north of the 1150. Some bits I could see they'd had a nosey on, I went further and found a route - but they were trying in rainy season, iirc - no way I'd try some of this in rainy season... Also, Russ who put the track south of the 1150 on OSM, which made things nice and easy.

This is what it was like between the track I found and the one on the North Thailand map I linked up with. (That bit was already on OSM, Google, Bing, Nokia...) Might have been the odd rough or steep bit but I doubt whoever mapped that area for the North Thailand map stopped where they did because it was too difficult - unless it was done ages ago or in bad rains when track conditions were worse. Probably just ran out of time or something...

(EDIT: seems it was Justin, Luke and Mark who gave that gpx to Auke - so very sure they didn't turn around cos it was too difficult.)

I did the part which stopped. Was there with my wife and if she gets hungry then we HAVE TO EAT NOW so had to return to find something to eat and then it was getting to late to explore further.

I did the part which stopped. Was there with my wife and if she gets hungry then we HAVE TO EAT NOW so had to return to find something to eat and then it was getting to late to explore further.

Ah - there's the answer... My wife is much the same.

^ definitely a Thai thing. Seems to be on their mind 24/7.

Good work in opening up the trail north of CM

Not to derail the thread.. But WTF is that with Thais ?? My missus is the same she goes from mildly hungry, to full on wolverine with PMT if she doesnt eat every couple of hours.. Proper mood swing, its like a mild diabetic syndrome or something.

All of the TGs I have been with have been the same, a constant need to graze.. Not just a desire to, but seems to suffer much more from 'hunger' when it comes.

:lol3 We could start a whole new thread on that subject, it's something in-bread in TG's

My one just grazes constantly all day, so never have this happen.

Yeah mine too.. But when your travelling, or in a strange country, or just have to have a 2 hour gap between feeds.. Really food = mood dependent.

Chris - Great job mate connecting onto the 109. Not trivial at all, awesome accomplishment. For those following along Chris's path the track leading North off the 1150, if you take the right fork it's a steep downhill heading north off the 1150. Luke and I were sliding out of control when it was slick and ended up piled at the bottom.

I rode with Matt across the Mae Ngat reservoir with the boat off road and tried for a day joining some additional offroad tracks in that area. We found a nice loop from the Mae Ngat dam East into Sansai and some tracks north of the Mae Ngat damn. Auke should have them on the map soon.

I can't see from the pic but what luggage are you using on the rear of the KTM?

Again great job on the ride.

Chris - Great job mate connecting onto the 109. Not trivial at all, awesome accomplishment. For those following along Chris's path the track leading North off the 1150, if you take the right fork it's a steep downhill heading north off the 1150. Luke and I were sliding out of control when it was slick and ended up piled at the bottom.

I rode with Matt across the Mae Ngat reservoir with the boat off road and tried for a day joining some additional offroad tracks in that area. We found a nice loop from the Mae Ngat dam East into Sansai and some tracks north of the Mae Ngat damn. Auke should have them on the map soon.

I can't see from the pic but what luggage are you using on the rear of the KTM?

Again great job on the ride.

Ta.

When that red clay gets wet and greasy, changes everything... (That 'I can't slow down and I'm going faster' sliding feeling.)

Wolfman - like as don't increase 'leg over' height much but you can easy fit a top bag if need space: Wolfman E-12 Saddle Bags | Dual Sport | Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

Look forward to seeing the gpx/tracks for your explorings north of CM.

Back
Top Bottom