Chiang Mai Smog

johnnysneds

Bikes
Multistrada 1200S Touring, WR450F, KTM200EXC, Gas Gas 280, PCX
Just looked out my window and Doi Suthep is totally hidden by smog (I presume). Its nice and clear south of the airport and usually you get a good(ish) view of the mountain. Ive only been here for 1.5 years and didn't notice the pollution so bad last year, if at all. Is there some sort of report on the levels of pollution that you can access somewhere.
Looks pretty grim!

Can't tell how current this is, it's from this website

http://ourchiangmai.com/air-pollution-i ... -thailand/

cnx air polution.jpg

Same every year, sadly. Look at any mountain at night and see the line of undergrowth fires creeping through the forests.

We will need wind & rain to clear it & typically thats another month away.

Last year was a good year. This is my 8th & most of them have been the same for February & March.

Ally

Smog Threats in Chiang Mai Province

CHIANG MAI: -- After smoke from fires has lingered over Chiang Mai and its surrounding area, the province is now reeling under high pollution levels, which could have a negative effect on the residents’ health.

Chiang Mai Province has been covered with smog throughout the day. The Suthep Mountain, which normally can be observed from all over Chiang Mai, is not visible due to thick smog.

The province has been reeling under smog for a week now. Furthermore, the air-quality monitoring station at Chiang Mai's city hall has reported that the Arctic oscillation index or AOI value is now at 109, though the average value should not go above 100.

Meanwhile, the PM10 level, which indicates the density of very minute dust particles in the air, has measured at 98.95 micrograms per cubic meter.

According to the Pollution Control Department, it AOI values between 101-200 can cause harm to people’s health. For this reason, officials have warned residents with respiratory problems to avoid outdoor exercise, and for all residents, especially children and the elderly, to avoid prolonged outdoor activities.

The Director of the Chiang Mai Natural Resources and Environment Office, Banpod Kanthasen, said the overall situation is average, but each related unit must work hard and continue to monitor the situation.

Banpod said there have been 120 reports of fires from January 1 to February 14, as 716 rais of farmland have been affected. Fires have occurred most in Hod, Koi, and Doi Tao districts. Officials are now keeping a close watch on these areas.

johnnysneds said:
My eye's were burning after the ride yesterday!

Says the man riding in front of the dust cloud !

Late September 2011:
This is a shot from the 1230 viewpoint overlooking Mae On valley. CNX is slightly visible over the range at the top right. As I had arrived in Thailand in July, I thought THIS was a bad day. In July/August I could see Doi Suthep!

100_0327.JPG

And yesterday.
P1010491.JPG

Back
Top Bottom