"Chaloem Phra Kiat Phra Ratchawong Chakkri Memorial"

Lone Rider

Blokes Who Can
Bikes
4 Wheels
On my wanderings through the north of Thailand I found yesterday an interesting but also strange memorial called the "Chaloem Phra Kiat Phra Ratchawong Chakkri Memorial". It is located on road 1209 (coordinates: N20.03902 E99.94288). I have been trying to find more information on the Internet but nothing came up. The only thing, based on pictures hanging in one of the buildings, is that there is somehow a relation with the royal family, as the word Chakhri also suggests, as there are quite a few pictures of the king and the royal family.

Although the main gate was securely locked, the memorial is not abandoned as there were some 15 people taking care of the gardens, etc. so it is a "live" memorial. The lady who was pruning the bushes indicated that it was also called "Hor Thek Than" but that might be the name of one of the many buildings in the compound. In case anyone knows more about this memorial I would love to hear about it.

The main gate and here it looks like that the memorial is closed
IMG_5239.jpg

IMG_5240.jpg

The rear side of the main gate showing part of the replica of the "Great Wall of China"

51022f5b-45dc-4032-af54-563c29e1b615.jpg

IMG_5235.jpg

IMG_5236.jpg

The building which houses the pictures of the royal family
e56f6654-861c-4d6b-9835-18c09a396618.jpg

IMG_5202.jpg

IMG_5203.jpg

57dbc16d-e37e-490c-9d85-455dda40b485.jpg

6ac70376-d955-4ef4-9d55-b87a576c3dac.jpg

View from the grounds of the memorial
IMG_5224.jpg

Some of the other buildings
IMG_5225.jpg

IMG_5226.jpg

IMG_5227.jpg

IMG_5228.jpg

IMG_5230.jpg

This gentleman probably is involved with the whole memorial as he is pictured here with the queen and there was another picture of him next to the Supreme Patriarch of Thailand
IMG_5219.jpg

Excellent find Auke.
Apparently some of the Thai script refers to 'the sixth anniversary' (of?).
Note the gun/cannon parapets.
Thanks for the co-ords too. :DD

Another outstanding find. This is what I like about this forum, it's not just about how many trails you can ride, the knowledge base from contributors is immense.

This is what I like about this forum ....

Exactly!
The willingness to share and the lack of egos announcing "when I was there 10 years ago blah, blah, blah ....... "

What a surprising find,thanks as always Auke.

Found it by "accident" - did not want to take Rd 1 via Chiangrai on my way back from Chiangsaen to took a left somewhere which brought me on the 1209 where I first found a huge Chinese Buddha (will be in my trip report "Another Day - Another Trip" and this memorial. As I could not find anything on it on the web, I put it it in a separate post in the hope that others would know what/why/who put it here. My head was still spinning with what I had seen :confused: hat I forgot to turn of the 1209 and ended up at Rd 1 anyway close to the turnoff to the airport:LOL

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N Thailand Information 1