Carry some ID

alexuk

I was stopped yesterday by the police (I turned at a no turning sign) and was asked for a licence, my passport and I had no ID.
I didnt let the policeman take my key, and wasnt keen to waste time going to the station to sort it out.
"Fortunately" I was allowed to pay the fine there and then, 400 was asked, and I was free to go in 5 minutes.
I forgot to ask for a receipt. Probably just as well, if you value your time.
I was worried,with no ID, if I'd had my thai drivers licence on me maybe they would smile and wave me on

I always use the "no ID, no license, no nothing" excuse to totally get away from paying the fine.. tell them that they can make out the fine to the bike/car registration plate and that you of course will pop in and pay it later -most of the time they don't bother but if they do and you don't pay the fine it is simply just added to your tax at the end of the year (if and when they get their shit together to do that).

Or you can pull the race card and say that they targeted you because you are a white person, get ranting about it and they will either want you gone ASAP or start fingering their gun... don't ask me how I know that...

Hassman

Agree with Hassman.

alexuk said:
if I'd had my thai drivers licence on me maybe they would smile and wave me on

I don't have a license nor do I usually stop at police checks but when a Thai is stopped with ID (and Thais are pretty serious about always carrying ID) police take the card and hold it until the fine is paid at the station. As long as foreigners can get away without carrying ID - which hasn't been a problem when I've been forced to stop - I like to go with the "stupid farang, no ID, can't speak Thai" strategy.

Works most of the time.

I invent a new language, that could be my native Glaswegian tongue that they have no chance of communicating with nor can they use google translate!!! Never been detained longer than a few minutes, works a treat. And always smile like an idiot and never use ID.

Bush-idiot.jpg

When I first started riding bikes in Thailand, I used to carry my diving instructors certificate with me. When I was asked for my driving license, I would show them that. It has a picture on it and they can't make heads or tails of what it says so they would just shrug and send me on my way. Rummaging around a long time to find your license/ID, insisting that "It's here somewhere!" can also sometimes work, but requires that you have a lot of pockets/bags to look in. With a bit of luck they get bored and let you go. Had that happen once while I was searching my bags for my instructors certificate... :d.

I have been stopped at checkpoints a coupla times, showed my thai licence and been waved on.
maybe I'm too helpful

Sure, these days I have a Thai license and they rarely mess with me. As long as your tax is in order and you've got your lid on (that's down here in the South, where you wouldn't get away with riding an unplated bike on the road for very long), you'll be fine.

johnnysneds said:
I invent a new language, that could be my native Glaswegian tongue that they have no chance of communicating with

This is perfect.

:DD

Back
Top Bottom