Carnet de passage -Malaysia -Indo?

Forest

Bikes
Vstrom650,CRF250 , Ducati 900ss ,Yamaha YZ250, Virago 400 etc..
just double checking ,some first hand experience if possible..
I did a brief research ,and from this post apparently Malaysia and Indo do NOT need a CDP .
Did anyone cross with a Thai registered vehicle and can confirm pls_?

Carnet de Passage - Wikitravel

:LOL

From Thailand, you can bring a foreign bike into Malaysia with no carnet. Rider's who have shipped their foreign registered bikes to Malaysia have been asked to produce a carnet for the foreign registered bike at Port Klang (KL's port). So it's kind of a messy situation in Malaysia.

Entering Indonesia, you need a carnet for a foreign registered bike.

just double checking ,some first hand experience if possible..
I did a brief research ,and from this post apparently Malaysia and Indo do NOT need a CDP .
Did anyone cross with a Thai registered vehicle and can confirm pls_?

Carnet de Passage - Wikitravel

:LOL

Indo is basically a corrupt mess.. Especially at the northern entry.. With a carnet you will probably get a little easier transit tho people with them have still reported issues and problems.. Mr Lim told me he would still ship a bike without the carnet, but entirely at my own risk.

I remember a ride report of someone getting a Thai bike without carnet in via Mr Lims onion boat route.

From Thailand, you can bring a foreign bike into Malaysia with no carnet. Rider's who have shipped their foreign registered bikes to Malaysia have been asked to produce a carnet for the foreign registered bike at Port Klang (KL's port). So it's kind of a messy situation in Malaysia.

Entering Indonesia, you need a carnet for a foreign registered bike.

I'm, planning to ride a Thai registered vehicle , and that's what I thought ,Malaysia not a prob ,but probably putting it on the boat to Sumatra will be..
Guess I just get it ,and that's it. I believe the same office building that issue the green book in CM/MHS does it?
Thank u much !

Thailand is not a signatory to the CPD system (they are to the ATA system but thats not for private bikes).. So you wont be getting a Thai carnet.

There are other options (I helped a guy get one on a Thai bike) but the costs are high and probably more than it will need in bribes for indo only.. Different if trying to globe trot.

Any licensed carnet agent around the world can arrange your carnet. 2 methods of underwriting you are now available, either by returnable cash deposit or by insurance where you pay an insurance premium to the underwriter who underwrites the risk.

I've been told UK (RAC), Germany & Canada are the most friendly carnet agents, when dealing with non domiciled motorcycles. The lady I talked to in South Africa was also easy to deal with.

I'm, planning to ride a Thai registered vehicle , and that's what I thought ,Malaysia not a prob ,but probably putting it on the boat to Sumatra will be..
Guess I just get it ,and that's it. I believe the same office building that issue the green book in CM/MHS does it?
Thank u much !

Thailand is not a signatory to the CPD system (they are to the ATA system but thats not for private bikes).. So you wont be getting a Thai carnet.

There are other options (I helped a guy get one on a Thai bike) but the costs are high and probably more than it will need in bribes for indo only.. Different if trying to globe trot.

bad news mate.. how do thai bikes cross borders then? other options like?
cheers

Shortcut! ...Fly ,rent,fire it up/get out of the shop doing wheelies!!
Once more the easyest way.... :DD

Any licensed carnet agent around the world can arrange your carnet. 2 methods of underwriting you are now available, either by returnable cash deposit or by insurance where you pay an insurance premium to the underwriter who underwrites the risk.

I've been told UK (RAC), Germany & Canada are the most friendly carnet agents, when dealing with non domiciled motorcycles. The lady I talked to in South Africa was also easy to deal with.

Paul at RAC UK would do it on a Thai bike that has a romanized plate translation.. I thought he was the only one, I know multiple others I asked said they would only do their own country registered bikes.

Paul at RAC UK would do it on a Thai bike that has a romanized plate translation.. I thought he was the only one, I know multiple others I asked said they would only do their own country registered bikes.

thai plate no romanized on bike..2 choices :taking chances(bribes in indo) or fly/rent/enjoy a islands tour...as posted b4
thanx really appreciate your help mate..

You used to get a romanized version with the old purple book / vehicle passport.. I think the land transport office issue a letter now.

One problem with indo is so few big bikes, due to import taxes.. Kawasaki 250s are around...

bad news mate.. how do thai bikes cross borders then? other options like?
cheers

Phil gave you the answer mate...in my experience Switzerland (last time I did it there was over 20 years ago) was great service and easy to do but extremely expensive, RAC in the UK as Phil mentioned is a lot cheaper as you do only pay the insurance and so is Canada. For a Canada CPD just go str8 to the CAAquebec.com/eng site and download the form. As a non Canadian resident it will cost you around $1,000. If you do have an account in Singapore as far as I know you can still get one there as well from the AA, prices are pretty much the same but the SGD is about 25% lower so you may save some cash.

Phil gave you the answer mate...in my experience Switzerland (last time I did it there was over 20 years ago) was great service and easy to do but extremely expensive, RAC in the UK as Phil mentioned is a lot cheaper as you do only pay the insurance and so is Canada. For a Canada CPD just go str8 to the CAAquebec.com/eng site and download the form. As a non Canadian resident it will cost you around $1,000. If you do have an account in Singapore as far as I know you can still get one there as well from the AA, prices are pretty much the same but the SGD is about 25% lower so you may save some cash.

thanks guys,but I do want to go for a month or 2 so..no worth it.gona miss my bike but with $1000 u can do a few things in Indo,like getting a R/T air ticket and renting a bike for a few while ur there.
borders/red tape really sux around this country.Laos/Cambo n Malaysia ok..but then done that,ur trapped !:banghead:

well I got this update from Mr Lim,owner of the boat that ship bikes from Penang to Medan/Sumatra..sounds too good to be true ,but possible (?) hopefully correct::RO

Few months ago there was a Polish rider who owned a Thai bike, he applied a carnet in Penang for RM 500 a year and pay some deposit for the bike,then he went to Indonesia with the carnet, two months later he came back to claim back his deposit from the AAM.

Back
Top Bottom