Carbon Fibre refurbishing its easy...

monsterman

The C/F on my S4 is fading in Thailands Sun ...I plan to wash it thoroughly with Thinners then with soap and water sand lightly with 800wet and dry and water , then spray acrylic clear coat several times un til it looks nice and shiny and dark again .

I have done all the big parts both termi cans and the front mudguard and the hugger all look like New and shiny now ...brilliant !......., next items are the belt covers, side panels and the radiator side guards , all smaller so should be even more easy peasy .

One thing to know about both carbon fiber and the resin used to bind it is that it is not UV stabile, the carbon goes brownish and the resin yellow if left in the sun.
To prevent this from happening a good UV stabile clear coat can be applied as Monsterman says, find a good automotive type clear coat and give it a generous coat.

Sometimes you will find when sanding the part that you get small pinholes in the surface -this is a minor defect from the manufacturing process, the easiest way to deal with it is to use a needle and poke the hole a bit bigger and then fill it with clear coat or clear resin and then sand it smooth.

Good luck with all your parts!
Eric

Back
Top Bottom