Cambodia motorcyles can now cross into Vietnam

KTMphil

Bikes
2007 KTM 990 Adventure Suzuki DRZ 400
Got notification from a friend this morning that Cambodian registered motorcycles can now cross into Vietnam.

I was just talking to Khmer immigration at the Prek Chak border crossing with Vietnam, which is the crossing from Kampot province into Ha Tien, VN, in the extreme south of VN, and far SE Cambo. Cambo registered bikes are now OK for going through (of course with the Viets this can change on any given day), but Thai registered bikes are not allowed to cross.

Got notification from a friend this morning that Cambodian registered motorcycles can now cross into Vietnam.

I was just talking to Khmer immigration at the Prek Chak border crossing with Vietnam, which is the crossing from Kampot province into Ha Tien, VN, in the extreme south of VN, and far SE Cambo. Cambo registered bikes are now OK for going through (of course with the Viets this can change on any given day), but Thai registered bikes are not allowed to cross.

Interesting news Phil.
They've been letting Cambo registered bikes through there for a few years, but you were supposed to stay within the Ha Tien area on the Viet side.
Is it now the story that we can venture outside Ha Tien area on Cambo bikes ?
Good if they recognize Cambo drivers licences too.
I wonder if this is something to do with the Asean Integration, in which case any Asean registered bike could be allowed through ?

I'm finding out more. I wonder if anyone has gone across to Cambodia on a Thai registered bike and then "borrowed" a Cambodian registration to get the bike into Vietnam?

I went to Ha Tien today to investigate

Got permission to leave my bike at Cambodian immigration

20160106_125033.jpg

and go on foot to the Viet Customs/Immigration

20160106_130947.jpg

The Viet customs guy only spoke a little English but said no problem for my Cambodian registered Ducati to enter Vietnam and go where I like.
Also showed him my Cambo drivers licence.
I asked if I would have any problems with the Viet police, again the answer was no problem.

My take away

For sure I can take my bike over at that border crossing.
As for Viet police liking my Cambo registration and license, my guess is its probably ok near the border areas where there's lots of cross border Cambo/Viet activity, but maybe a problem in other parts of the country......maybe, luck of the draw sort of thing.
No idea if other border crossings would let me in.
One thing I forgot to ask was if the Viet customs would issue any paperwork for the bike (temporary import). That would be handy to show Viet police if I was pulled over......

There's no visa on arrival so when I decide to go I'll get one from the Consulate in Snooky, $40 for one month now.

This is nothing new.

Khmer registered bikes have been allowed to drive into Vietnam, including at this crossing for years. In December 2014, a local drove me from Prek Chak to Ha Tien on the back of his Cambodian registered bike. Plenty of small Cambodian bikes in Vietnam, although mostly near the border.

For years the Cambodians have been able to take their vehicles into Vietnam more easily than the other way around. For example, Cambodian cars are a regular sight in the Mekong Delta and even Ho Chi Minh City. I've seen Cambodian cars and buses in places like Mui Ne and Nha Trang too.

Meanwhile, Vietnamese vehicles (apart from buses) are a rare sight on Cambodian roads. Apparently to enter Cambodia, only some border crossings will allow them in and if they're in possession of a Lao-Vietnam-Cambodia car passport, they will need to enter or exit Cambodia through Laos. For example, they may be allowed to enter Cambodia at Bavet, but to exit Cambodia they'd have to head up to the Veun Kham crossing and back into Vietnam at Phu Keua/Bo Y.

A Vietnamese friend went to the local land transport department or whatever it's called in Vietnam and the official there confirmed this - no direct two way crossings into Cambodia and back on a Vietnamese plate - must travel into or out of Laos too. Unless maybe a big bribe is paid?

Back
Top Bottom