Cambodia-Isaan-Laos Route Suggestion?

R1100R

I've been planning a 3-4 week Laos-Isaan-Cambodia ride for awhile now, and at the end of January will head north from Singapore.

I came up with the attached route. I'd appreciate any comments any readers would have for improving it for practicality, safety, or enjoyability.

I've been as far as the Golden Triangle and Mae Hong Son before, but I haven't been to Cambodia or Laos. Also, any tips on evacuating the bike from Laos or Cambodia to Thailand for repairs if it breaks down would be appreciated. The bike is a 12-year old street BMW with street tires, so no off-roading. Thanks in advance for any suggestions/recommendations.

Attachments

• Ride Route Plan February.gif
    Ride Route Plan February.gif
    342.6 KB · Views: 1,177
looks like a cracker to me, I've done the Northern part and the Isaan part, the Isaan part is spectacular, especially the part that follows the Mekong...

Good luck old chap :DD

R1100R said:
I've been planning a 3-4 week Laos-Isaan-Cambodia ride for awhile now, and at the end of January will head north from Singapore.

I came up with the attached route. I'd appreciate any comments any readers would have for improving it for practicality, safety, or enjoyability.

I've been as far as the Golden Triangle and Mae Hong Son before, but I haven't been to Cambodia or Laos. Also, any tips on evacuating the bike from Laos or Cambodia to Thailand for repairs if it breaks down would be appreciated. The bike is a 12-year old street BMW with street tires, so no off-roading. Thanks in advance for any suggestions/recommendations.
From Bungkan I recommend to take 222 to Sakhonnakon. Going down to Kalasin on 227 then take right to Khonkaen. This route is more attractive by mountain "Phupan" scenery between Sakhonnakon and Somdej. The road is not perfect like no2 but it's ok for street bike and scenery is surely more interesting. I stay in Nakhonpanom and always take this route to Bangkok both on my van and my KTM. You may consider this and have a good safe trip.

Thank you for the recommendation. Going north, I reckon I should not be too far from the Laos border because I should arrive in the morning to give plenty of time for the border-crossing formalities. Perhaps staying in Sakon Nakhon makes since (200km from the Laos border), unless it is work going farther east to stay in Nakhon Phanom. But then I miss route 227 and end up on 213, like this.

It would be shorter to go straight north from Osmach to Roi Et, but Khon Kaen looks more interesting (according to Lonely Planet).

Attachments

• Thailand Map RideAsia.gif
    Thailand Map RideAsia.gif
    323.8 KB · Views: 4,256
Back
Top Bottom