Cakes & Coffee - Post your coffee stops here

Ally

Bikes
PCX - with custom valve caps
blogger-image--759675327.jpg

Charin 5 August 2012

This is that place out on the Chiang Rai Rd yeah ??

This is that place out on the Chiang Rai Rd yeah ??
Certainly is LOS, has a branch on the 3rd floor of Airport Plaza but it's just not the same without the brown soup river rushing by ;)

Ally

Here is one more from Charin - a Longan tart. On the way back (a day later) had a Lemon Supreme pie but did not take a picture as I don't want to torture Ron too much.

IMG_2315.JPG

The Charin on R118 is a tough one to beat (& drive by!). One of my many visits below

The most awesome cheesecake

cheescake.jpg

Great view

2012-08-06_123519.jpg

Something for everyone

2012-08-06_123641.jpg

2012-08-06_123622.jpg

Reading this while eating my healthy diet these days and having lost 13 KG or 2 Stone in just over three months I have absolutely no interest at all in going to this Charin place out on the 118.

So if someone could kindly inform me of its GPS co-ordinates I will make sure I steer well clear of it, you are right Phil that is one awesome looking cheesecake

8670d1344945891-water-elephants-another-amazing-temple-386922_311367372294156_549044643_n.jpg
N18.45998 E99.18147
Delizia Garden

8669d1344945859-water-elephants-another-amazing-temple-524342_311430602287833_1864490897_n.jpg
Coffee View
N19.124804 E99.485565

Oh no! Now they're giving co-ordinates! :F
(Is that a saticky bun there Ally?)

Wow! Keep it up Colin!
Looking forward to your coffee posts with green (sh___) salads and ice water photos! :kat

That aint going to happen John, its just that I wont be seeking out eat all you can buffets or 500gram burgers on a regular basis, Pinkys Burgers closing down in Chiang Mai was a blessing in disguise

That cheesecake that Phil yaffled looks awesome...... must try! For so many years I have been constantly disappointed by Thai cream cakes...... they must belong to the worst in the world as no-one seems to know how to whip cream or make butter-cream.... do any of the places you fellow sweet-toothed chaps frequent actually produce fresh cream cakes, or real sponges with butter-cream fillings? Or are they all pastries and cheesecakes? That lemon tart of Ally's looks the biz, but wouldn't you just love to run into a real lemon meringue now and then? Have the Thai's finally stopped using that awful margarine in their baking and started to use butter?
Cheers.

No, I would assume that 99.99% of the Thai cakes are still made using margarine and decorated with the awfull tasting fatty cream stuff on top. Charin, who learned the trade of making pies, etc. when he worked as a domestic helper in the US uses the real stuff and his lemon meringue is really nice although for me it could be a bit more lemonly.

In Rimping at Meechok Plaza you will find a small outlet of "Butter is Best" and they use real butter for their stuff.

Ha ha.. Didnt know we had a womens institute forum here on ride Asia :LOL

Now.. who makes the best scones and jam..

Its not like I am not bookmarking the GPS co-ords ;)

I'm in charge of all catering on an oil rig..... baking is an interest of mine...... plus I have a sweet tooth...... hairy ass bikers can cook too! :LOL

Its not like I am not bookmarking the GPS co-ords ;)

So this place is hidden down a tiny track in the deepest darkest jungle for you to need GPS co-ords? Do bikers ride with eyes glued to 4 inch screens these days? :LOL

Martin - the Charin cake place in on the north end of R 118, just north of the turn for Mae Suai/ R 3037 (fantastic road that you should try, all paved now) , heading north on R 118 it's on your RHS, kind of looks like a resort.

Co-ords are:

N19.69589

E99.58197

Did a quick map for you below:

charin cake and coffee.jpg

So this place is hidden down a tiny track in the deepest darkest jungle for you to need GPS co-ords? Do bikers ride with eyes glued to 4 inch screens these days? :LOL

^ Thanks Phil...... you kinda missed the pointed humourus dig at LL after his "Womens Institute" comment 555!
Usually when I'm on rideabout I go by "left at the house with the green wall, right at the tree with a hangmans branch, left at the somtam stall with the one armed spinner" or in England "left at the Kings Head, right just after the Eight Bells" left at the George and Dragon"
No doubt one day I'll prolly join the GPS brigade! Till then, maps and a scrap o' paper!

I really shouldnt be viewing this while I'm fasting....argggghhhhh!!!!
Hahaha..... quite agree! I'm stuck in Cairo and feel guilty drinking copious amounts of water and pigging out on food all day in front of my colleagues....... not! :phil (Just joshin' with ya mate!!)

I have suggested they all work on a night shift during Ramadam....... that'd solve the problem!

Here's a very welcome coffee stop - somewhere north of the 323. I'd just done some hard, muddy tracks, the back way from Sangkhla Buri to Kanchanaburi through the National Parks

026.jpg

I just looked on a map and "Delizia Garden" wasnt listed :deal

A call from Ally this afternoon disrupted my busy domestic schedule and I was invited to attend a GPS Tutorial here ...

DSC03441.jpg

... at 28 San Pa Koi Road
Wat Ket
Chiang Mai

N 18.78626
E 99.00665

Here was the classroom.

DSC03442.jpg

I soon discovered I had been deceived and had been dragged, kicking and screaming in protest to, not a classroom, but a place that offered this ...

DSC03432.jpg

... and this ...

DSC03434.jpg

... and these ...

DSC03433.jpg

... and these ...

DSC03435.jpg

... and this ...

DSC03436.jpg

... and this ...

DSC03439.jpg

I settled for a chicken pot pie ...

DSC03443.jpg

... and some rhubarb pie, while Ally devoured a slice of lemon something.

DSC03447.jpg

The agreement was that we'd share each others deserts, but the tutorial was so absorbing that I forgot the agreement.

DSC03448.jpg

True!
Lovely food, attractive and quiet indoor/outdoor venue, good service and pleasant company Ally.

DSC03437.jpg

Can't wait for the next tutorial.
Tomorrow, wasn't it?

Thanks for the documentary Ron, that sharing issue wasn't confined to your delight, my Lemon slice with black coffee suffered the same, it was too good to share.

However, despite all this chat of cakes, we did prove that the Montana is not only operable with sticky creamy fingers but also allows marking of waypoints begining with the word "cake..."

So the next session Ron, we will need to cover how to list those POI's in alphabetical order.

Ally

I am really looking forward to returning and hopefully being invited to join on these very interesting GPS Tutorials

Back
Top Bottom