Bypassing Pakse...Is there a Ferry?

BWG950S

Bikes
2006 KTM 950s Adventure
Pakse Bypass.jpg

I need to go to Savannahket so I am looking to make it a bit more adventurous than slabbing it all the way up the 13.

I will be crossing at Chong Mek and I noticed there is a unpaved road not to far past the border that runs to the Mekong River and looks like it continues on the East side connecting to Route 13. See my chicken scratch blue line and red circle where I am interested in crossing.

If there is a ferry available here that would cut out a lot of asphalt riding out. It seems that something should be available since there are 2 islands in the vicinity.

I will explore this more once I am over there if time permits.

Thanks,
Jim

Attachments

• Pakse Bypass.PNG
    Pakse Bypass.PNG
    200.2 KB · Views: 458
As far as I know, there is no formal ferry but, it is possible to cross from Ban Veunxai on the west side to Ban Nakeo on the east side there if you can find a guy with a boat to put you across. Just ask around there and there should be someone to put you over.

Thanks Auke.

I am sure there are plenty of boats around and someone willing to make some fast cash from a farang. Just need to find one big and stable enough for the 500 pound 950! Don't want to find out how deep the middle of the Mekong is at that crossing.

950 S If you can get your bike in here and up the embankment you are golden!
The people were extremely pleasant here and charged only the local price! In fact all villagers are extremely friendly and hospitable in this area, nice meandering track along the Mekong also!
steep-Eastern-bank.jpg
B VEUNXAI-GNAI
Ramp to ferry
N15.264649 E105.650185
ferry-cross.jpg

Attachments

• ferry-cross.jpg
    ferry-cross.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 554
A happy bunch indeed..

pb160026-L.jpg

Midnite..

pb160025-L.jpg

Must be the other side, great ride up there, very hot!

pb160037-L.jpg

:RO

Thanks for the photo Steve er Chris,
What a great day riding that was!
The mountain in the background is the Bolevens Plateau!

Well I made it across!

Here is a pic of the boat I took across and the hill leading down to it.

P5210161.jpg

I did not take any photos of this ordeal since it was hot heavy work and my hands were full but I have a video of it that I will be posting up.

I kind of wished the boat would of landed at that steep decent that MM and Steve did. I was dropped off to the right of that and had to traverse the side of the hill to the top on a little trac. At one point I think my pannier dug into the side of the hill and I thought I was going to be tumbling down into the Mekong!

Back
Top Bottom