Buying a bike in Cambodia..

LivinLOS

Bikes
Gas Gas 250 (Trials), YZ250 (enduro), DRZ440 (Supermoto) CBR900 Streetfighter (scary !!)
OK first off.. Am for sure no expert at this, currently struggling my way through the first go at it.. But what I found so far is being confirmed by multiple sources and KTM today.

Its not possible to come here, buy the bike, get a plate and ride away.. Theres a lag time of about a month to get your full proper documentation.

First you need to go to the vehicle transfer office, if buying second hand the seller has to physically come also, forms must be thumb printed and physical presence is required.

I was told that I as the buyer must also have a paper from the government (different department / office) confirming my residential address, 3 photos, a current valid visa (30 day seems enough) etc etc... I am told you can do all this yourself, navigating the corruption and being told no multiple times for around 35 USD, tho if they then accepted my 30 day visa I have no idea..

Me I am actually using the services of Dara big bike from St136 who makes the resident paper go away, goes and makes sure you dont queue, and promises to make it a sub 1 hour experience in the government office, my time is worth the 90 bucks they are charging for the hand holding and bribes. Also I need the service as I wont be here to collect the ownership card in a month but by using them they can get it and pass it to my missus, I was told that absolutely she would not be able to go collect it on my behalf if doing it myself.

So once the initial process has been done, the seller has agreed its sold, the buyer has done the photos and thumbprints, you get a piece of paper stating you own the bike and can ride it around. This is not however the ownership card. This card takes a month to be issued has your picture and thumb mark on it and you cannot cross the border on the paper only.

KTM have confirmed the same thing... they can sell you the new bike, they can grease the wheels so that its all smooth, but you have to come once and 'take ownership' providing your thumbprint and photo.. Then wait one month or return one month later to take delivery of the bike if intending to ride it straight out to Thailand. You can happily ride within Cambodia in that month, but you cannot fly in, buy and ride out in a short timescale. KTM even made some calls to their handler guy to see if there was any way it could be paid more $$ to make it happen in days not weeks and were told no.

If you know all the details (address etc) you can have a copy card made temporarily. The copy card will allow entry into Thailand. Do not show the copy card in Cambodia , as they will realise it is a copy. If you have done the correct paper work you will have a receipt to show in Cambodia. Re enter back into Cambodia once the new ownership card is ready.

If you know all the details (address etc) you can have a copy card made temporarily. The copy card will allow entry into Thailand. Do not show the copy card in Cambodia , as they will realise it is a copy. If you have done the correct paper work you will have a receipt to show in Cambodia. Re enter back into Cambodia once the new ownership card is ready.

That could work. Ideally the Phnom Penh office would issue the plate straight away.
I just did a new bike in Sihanoukville and have to wait 1 month for the card and the plate.

This is going to be huge for KTM Cambodia if getting them registered in your name in Cambodia is quite straightforward, fantastic news.

That could work. Ideally the Phnom Penh office would issue the plate straight away.
I just did a new bike in Sihanoukville and have to wait 1 month for the card and the plate.

The card I have from the previous owner, which I am now waiting one month for my own to be issued, is not just a laminated style card. Mine is a hard printed card with the owners photo embedded into the printing (like a Thai dl) and iirc has even a hologram layer..

Sure maybe the border cops take any old thing, but if that's the case why not just the temp ownership paper, but my feeling is that a convinving copy of that card would not be easy.. That in a country I am being told has no one who can do basic things like powder coat, quality seat foam is not available.. Hell I have even been told I need to import fork oil (can't be true can it?? ). Forging a printed hologram card seems ambitious ??

EDIT.. With a new bike would be the problem of not having any plate either.

One idea would be, if KTM have enough clout at the gov office.. Let the buyer do the thumb prints and digital photo by post.. Pay by bank tx, then come to Cambodia one time, a month later, when it's all done..

Cuts out the flying in to spend 20 minutes putting your thumb in ink.. And I am pretty sure a fixer could get that to happen for a small donation to the officials retirement fund..

So you need a cambodian residence? Any idea how long you need to live in cambodia to qualify for this, or how long it takes to get the paperwork?

No I am doing a second hand bike transfer on a 30 day visa.. And I am told the process is the same on a new plate / card as it is on an existing plate / card..

On arrival i didnt get my usual e-visa online, I arrived and got the 'ordinary' visa as this can be extended for 1 year for 280 - 300 I am told (the immigration officer in the airport offered me to do it there and then for 300 cash to him) but it seems I dont need it. I just did it that way in case as I didnt want to be here and find I couldnt process it, it was just insurance.

I was told to do it yourself you need a residency proof, much like immigration letter of residence in Thailand, to prove my address.. I had to go to some sangat office to get this, based on my apartment lease, etc etc. By paying the fixer all these issues vanished. I needed me, my passport, with its 30 day visa stamp, and of course some money !!

I am also getting a fixer to get me khmer licenses.. I dont need them but at 38 bucks why not have them.. Will confuse Thai coppers thats for sure.

What are you buying & how much USD$ equiv?

No I am doing a second hand bike transfer on a 30 day visa.. And I am told the process is the same on a new plate / card as it is on an existing plate / card..

On arrival i didnt get my usual e-visa online, I arrived and got the 'ordinary' visa as this can be extended for 1 year for 280 - 300 I am told (the immigration officer in the airport offered me to do it there and then for 300 cash to him) but it seems I dont need it. I just did it that way in case as I didnt want to be here and find I couldnt process it, it was just insurance.

I was told to do it yourself you need a residency proof, much like immigration letter of residence in Thailand, to prove my address.. I had to go to some sangat office to get this, based on my apartment lease, etc etc. By paying the fixer all these issues vanished. I needed me, my passport, with its 30 day visa stamp, and of course some money !!

I am also getting a fixer to get me khmer licenses.. I dont need them but at 38 bucks why not have them.. Will confuse Thai coppers thats for sure.

My GF is getting me a 690 Enduro for Christmas from there, she just doesn't know it yet.

What are you buying & how much USD$ equiv?

Got a KTM duke II for 2400 usd.. Legal and plated but in need of almost all new consumables.. Fork seals gone, head bearings gone, chain as ugly as i have ever seen, bald Tyres, lots of minor bits in need of some clean up.. It's being torn down and full serviced by tony of two wheels now, do the valve gaps and check timing chain etc, all fluids, all bearings, new rubber, etc etc..

The duke II is exactly the same lc4 platform as the 625/640/660 smc.. But with the ugly headlight, more road biased suspension setup, and mag wheels.. Have already found someone breaking a clean smc and have bought all the bodywork and a bunch of trick bits for dirt cheap, to convert this to the smc rather than duke II look. I reckon with 500 to 1 k in new consumables and tidy work it will be a solid machine, fundamentally it's strong just been neglected as parts not easy locally.

I am trying to keep my cambo spending light until I see where life goes, but I simply could not handle riding her click around any more.. For the price of a scooter I have a nice strong 625 single with fcr carb, that lifts on the throttle in second and I reckon would bounce up in 3rd easy (tho gone fork seals made its handling a bit fucked up).. 50 something horsepower upright super moto.. Bit heavy but I really like it, makes the drz even with the 440 and fcr feel weak.

I do love the 690 smcr.. It's just dripping in anodized trick bits and looks the pods.. I may still get one depending on where I end up being more time in.. but the way life is, spending only part time in cambo, didn't want to drop 12 k on a toy I would only use sometimes, with no where to leave it securely, lots of bike theft crime, etc etc.. I think tho, if I had to pick only one bike for every day use, for hooning and fun, small tours, that 690 smcr would be the one bike answer.

Sounds like a good buy Sefton, especially if the motor doesn't require any major work

Since buying my KTM, I've been checking the various online merchants for OEM and aftermarket parts. All quite reasonably priced imo. Certainly no more expensive than DRZ stuff.

I had Tony look it over first, and theres a bit of valve rattle (he says these LC4's are a bit 'valvey' sounding.. I dont know never had one) but fundamentally it all seems right. Its even fairly low kms (claimed) which possibly makes sense as I can see many people not doing any real distance in Cambo.. Then again Cambodian KMs must be like dog years, times them by 7 to get the effective number !!

Basically I was looking for a city hopper.. Saw a few late model clean xr250s that were >3000 for the kind of nice I wanted and entirely unexciting.. A DRZ400 in clean condition is plus 4k and then budget I would probably start hopping that up which ends up a money pit.. Then this came up..

Sure it could be cosmetically tidier.. Its maybe bigger than many would want round town.. Maybe parts supply will add to the cost a little.. And by christ to these 600 singles vibrate (apprently the LC4s use no crankshaft balancer.. Proper paintshaker !!).. But its ballsy, pulls like a train, wheelies on command.. I like it.. And cosmetically rough is sort of how any bike will end up in Cambo in short order. Plus it cost about what a new honda click would cost !!

Gives me a little project to tinker with, an excuse to 'go find stuff' around the city without the missus.. Just popping out honey, need to go and.. er.. check something with the bike ;)

Sound like its had a hard life, i hope its not a load of headaches.

Got a KTM duke II for 2400 usd.. Legal and plated but in need of almost all new consumables.. Fork seals gone, head bearings gone, chain as ugly as i have ever seen, bald Tyres, lots of minor bits in need of some clean up.. It's being torn down and full serviced by tony of two wheels now, do the valve gaps and check timing chain etc, all fluids, all bearings, new rubber, etc etc..

The duke II is exactly the same lc4 platform as the 625/640/660 smc.. But with the ugly headlight, more road biased suspension setup, and mag wheels.. Have already found someone breaking a clean smc and have bought all the bodywork and a bunch of trick bits for dirt cheap, to convert this to the smc rather than duke II look. I reckon with 500 to 1 k in new consumables and tidy work it will be a solid machine, fundamentally it's strong just been neglected as parts not easy locally.

I am trying to keep my cambo spending light until I see where life goes, but I simply could not handle riding her click around any more.. For the price of a scooter I have a nice strong 625 single with fcr carb, that lifts on the throttle in second and I reckon would bounce up in 3rd easy (tho gone fork seals made its handling a bit fucked up).. 50 something horsepower upright super moto.. Bit heavy but I really like it, makes the drz even with the 440 and fcr feel weak.

I do love the 690 smcr.. It's just dripping in anodized trick bits and looks the pods.. I may still get one depending on where I end up being more time in.. but the way life is, spending only part time in cambo, didn't want to drop 12 k on a toy I would only use sometimes, with no where to leave it securely, lots of bike theft crime, etc etc.. I think tho, if I had to pick only one bike for every day use, for hooning and fun, small tours, that 690 smcr would be the one bike answer.

Sound like its had a hard life, i hope its not a load of headaches.

Dont think its so much had a hard life.. Just been owned and no one there importing the consumables..

According to Tony getting even basic stuff into Cambo via the post is a pure nightmare. He even said he couldnt get fork oil !!!

Probably the ultimate all-round bike for SE Asia, you are a lucky man.

Yeah, well I might just make it back before Christmas if all goes well, this job has dragged out, but the extra month serves me the 12K for the bike.
Might have to cough up some gold for her though as a thank you :)

Anyway, Sef we have to figure something out on this one.

Visit 1 time, do paperwork, fly home or to work
Visit 2nd time, drive bike away

Sorted!

LivinLos, still in PP?
Is it busy this week?Know if the govt offices for transfer bike papers are closed this week cos of Asean??
Seen any wr250 for sale there?

maybe a little off topic, but what would be the easiest border crossing, if you bought a bike in phnpm penh, to return to chiang mai, via siem reap/battambang?

Poi Pet/ Aranyaphrathet international border crossing.

I think he asked for the easiest crossing, I would say Osmach / Kap Choeng, never been more than 10 minutes, never checked any numbers , once asked to see the number plate and had to push the bike around so customs could see the plate, busy going out of Thailand Friday afternoons as gamblers heading over the border.

This would only be shorter if going via Siem Riep. If via Battambang then Poipet / Arranyapatet would be shorter , but it is more of a hassle and always busy, (a market/trade crossing and the main International entry from Thailand)
:DD

Would ko kong be easy,and is there somewher i can put it on a train to chiang mai without riding into bangkok? Or should i post it from ko chang/pattaya?
If I Get a 2 week thai visa,will i still get a month for the bike?

Sorry missed this.. Came back last Thursday but not had much time for forums..

Any international border point seems easy to exit.. Entry can be a bit more complicated on a non Cambo bike.. I had a lot of hassle at Koh Kong. Poipet is often insanely busy (leaving was a 3 hour queue one time.. Dont queue with the backpackers, just act like you know what your doing and anyone tries to stop you waive your car / bike docs and walk past them until the last room..

You can get the train from Aranyaprathet back to bangkok then bangkok to CM.. But its a slow old train..

Seems like you may be able to bring the bike straight over the border, and get the card sent to you when it is ready.
I had my foto taken at the registration office when I got the plate. Took less than half an hour. Fortunately Pove at Flyingbikes helped me do this.

How would you deal with Thai temporary import without the ownership docs ??

They only need to see the card. You can get a copy made while you wait for the real one.

Ahh interesting.. Well done..

Dara told me they would issue a receipt, vital to the collection of the card, that I told Dara to keep so they can claim it while I am not there... But no one gave any indication you could have a copy card made.. Even KTM with the explanation of trying to pay then go, and him calling his fixers, etc etc..

Will follow this with interest.

Ahh interesting.. Well done..

Dara told me they would issue a receipt, vital to the collection of the card, that I told Dara to keep so they can claim it while I am not there... But no one gave any indication you could have a copy card made.. Even KTM with the explanation of trying to pay then go, and him calling his fixers, etc etc..

Will follow this with interest.

No one uses copies in Cambodia now cos the bib are onto it. However pre ~2006 we all had copies and I used mine numerous times to go into Thailand. It's dodgy so no surprise the KTM shop wont suggest it.

Basically you use your official receipt while in Cambo (dont show cops the copy) and use the copy for Thai customs .Obviously all the numbers have to lineup with the actual engine/chassis/plate numbers on the bike.

I think Harrythefin also mentioned this method a few posts/threads ago.

Yeah he did but I must be confusing whats copied..

You can get copied of the hard printed ownership card ?? With the embeded Photo ??

Or were they just laminates under the old system ??

I got a receipt for mine, shows registration and bike model, the rest is in cambodian

Here the Registration office where it takes less than half an hour.
They take your foto
. registry.jpg
And fit the new plate
tying knot.jpg
then you can ride around cambodia or go to thailand etc, while you are waiting the 3 working weeks for the card to come through.

I had a look at KTM Cambodia, but it was closed by 7pm, so could only see a few bikes in the window.
250,350, 350 freeride, 200 dukes, and a couple big sports/touring bikes, as well as KTM pushbikes

then you can ride around cambodia or go to thailand etc, while you are waiting the 3 working weeks for the card to come through.

Are you going to try the border with the plate and receipt alone ?? Or get a copy card ??

Back
Top Bottom