BMW S1000XR

2wheels

Community Manager
Bikes
ROYAL ENFIELD CLASSIC
BMW-S1000XR-white-561x420.jpg

The 2015 BMW S1000XR Signals a Split in the ADV Category » ADV Pulse

" BMW has also created a new segment name, calling it an “Adventure Sport” motorcycle to differentiate it from its GS Adventure Bike models."

(ADV Pulse)

4 inline as its street brother it seems...nice machine...nice category too, we finally see a clear direction of what the big firms mean with the word Adventure - Adventure Sport is even more street oriented but with loads of power. :giving:

One thing that strikes me though is that when it comes to pillion comfort this model has as little to offer as its street racing brother does.:vee:

Gar: no more need to change suspensions on the R1 for a crazy machine :DD

New review from Rider Magazine (not sure about those red boxes?)

http://www.ridermagazine.com/top-stories/2016-bmw-s-1000-xr-first-ride-review.htm/

Thirty-five years ago, BMW created the adventure-touring segment when it introduced the R80G/S (Gelände/Strasse is German for “terrain/road”). Today there are six GS models in BMW’s lineup, everything from the single-cylinder G 650 GS to the do-it-all R 1200 GS Adventure. Which begs the question: Why would BMW introduce yet another adventure bike, the S 1000 XR?
The Ducati Multistrada 1200, that’s why.
No one disputes the all-around capability of the R 1200 GS, but its air/liquid-cooled boxer twin’s claimed 125 crankshaft horsepower falls well short of the 160 horsepower claimed for the latest DVT version of the Multistrada (and the 150 horsepower of the KTM 1190 Adventure, for that matter). Derived from the formidable 1198 sportbike, the Multistrada is a street-biased adventure bike with 17-inch wheels, and its combination of performance, comfort and versatility has helped it become one of Ducati’s best-selling models.
The XR’s liquid-cooled, 999cc in-line four, unchanged from the S 1000 R, is tuned for a broad spread of torque.
BMW based the S 1000 XR on its in-line four-cylinder sportbike platform, in particular the naked S 1000 R, which makes a claimed 160 horsepower and 83 lb-ft of torque. The XR’s drivetrain is unchanged from the R, which won our naked sportbike comparison against the Aprilia Tuono V4 R APRC and KTM 1290 Super Duke R (Rider, July 2015). On Jett Tuning’s dyno, the S 1000 R made 156.1 horsepower at 11,000 rpm and 80.5 lb-ft of torque at 9,500 rpm at the rear wheel. That BMW designated this bike with an “XR” rather folding it into the GS family is significant. With 17-inch wheels shod with Bridgestone Battlax T30 sport-touring tires, off-road is of minor importance. The press kit includes a handy pie chart of the XR’s attributes that assigns just 5 percent to “enduro” and the remaining 95 percent to mixed street riding: sport, roadster, touring and urban.
BMW hosted a press launch for the S 1000 XR in Muskoka, Ontario, an area two hours north of Toronto that’s home to 1,600 lakes. Our 160-mile test loop wound its way around some of those lakes, through wooded and wetland areas and small towns, on undulating pavement ranging from smooth to rough and even some hard-packed gravel. Good fortune smiled upon us, avoiding the rain that fell on the days before and after our ride and seeing none of the deer, moose or turtles that signs warned us about.
Thumbing the starter button set the S 1000 XR’s liquid-cooled, 999cc in-line four alight, with a throatier-than-normal bark from the accessory Akrapovič exhaust. (My particular test bike had been dragged through BMW’s accessory catalog, farkled with everything from color-matched saddlebags, engine guards and a Navigator V GPS to a tinted windscreen, carbon fiber goodies, trick HP levers, a sport seat embroidered with the “XR” logo and more.) To ward off the morning cool, I turned on the heated grips and raised the manually adjustable windscreen.
BMW says the XR has the riding position and appearance of the GS but is intended for 95% on-road use.
The XR’s riding position will feel familiar to anyone who has ridden a modern-day adventure tourer. There’s plenty of legroom between the tall, 33.1-inch seat and the centrally mounted footpegs. A wide, motocross-style handlebar mounted on risers reaches back to the rider, allowing modestly bent elbows and an upright posture. This chin-up, straight-back riding position is one of the great virtues of an adventure bike. Comfortable enough for long hours in the saddle, it allows a commanding view and a state of readiness, making it easy to stand up and move around. To accommodate shorter riders, BMW offers an optional 32.3-inch low seat, as well as a low-suspension option that, when combined with Dynamic ESA, lowers the saddle to 31.1 inches.
Analog tach is paired with a detailed digital display. Navigator V GPS is a $799 accessory.
Comfort is part of the XR’s appeal, but what really sets the hook is its liquid-cooled 999cc in-line four, a quick-revving engine that delivers a broad spread of torque and an exhilarating top-end rush. Because our test bikes were fresh out of the crate, the rev limit was capped at 9,500 rpm rather than the 11,000-rpm redline (the lower rev limit must be unlocked by a dealer during the break-in service). Nevertheless, we had as much as 145 rear-wheel horsepower and 80 lb-ft of torque on tap, which made for a lively experience on a bike that weighs just over 500 pounds. BMW’s E-gas throttle-by-wire system is one of the best there is, with precise response and no vagueness or on/off throttle lurching. One downside of this engine, however, is vibration. At 4,500 rpm or higher, vibration sets the grips, seat and pegs abuzz, and it’s particularly pronounced in the right grip, where at times the bones in my hands felt like tuning forks. I don’t recall as much vibration on the S 1000 R, so the difference could be attributable to the new handlebar.
The base model XR is equipped with two riding modes, Road and Rain, which adjusts throttle response, ABS and ASC (Automatic Stability Control) for dry or wet conditions. Our test bikes were equipped with the $1,455 Premium Package, which adds the full complement of electronic assistance: Ride Modes Pro (Dynamic and Dynamic Pro), Dynamic Traction Control, ABS Pro, Gear Shift Assist Pro and Dynamic ESA. If you have your eye on the S 1000 XR, don’t pass up on the Premium Package. All of these electronic systems are designed to work together seamlessly, and they boost the XR’s safety, versatility and comfort by a significant margin. In addition to two more riding modes, you get lean-angle sensitive traction control, cornering ABS (the XR is the first BMW to offer it), clutchless up- and downshifts, and suspension that adjusts damping automatically and preload at the touch of a button. Traction control and ABS tend to be out of sight, out of mind, but the ability to quickly change gears without using the clutch and the remarkable comfort and chassis stability of Dynamic ESA will absolutely spoil you.
Wheelbase is longer and chassis geometry is more relaxed than the S 1000 R upon which it is based, but the XR’s handles tight corners with ease.
Like other models in the S 1000 line, the XR has an aluminum bridge-type frame that uses the engine as a stressed member and a cast aluminum swingarm. Compared to the S 1000 R, the XR has a longer wheelbase (61 inches vs. 56.7), more rake (25.5 degrees vs. 24.6) and more trail (4.6 inches vs. 3.9), trading some sportbike nimbleness for touring-bike steadiness. More than half of the increase in wheelbase is due to a 2.5-inch longer swingarm that is said to improve rear-wheel traction and stability, especially with a passenger and luggage. Very few of the roads on our test route were straight, and they included mile after mile of dips, rises and frost heaves. The XR’s light, precise steering turned the obstacle course into a playground. The standard steering damper quelled any twitchiness, DTC kept the front and rear wheels in check, and the dual radial-mount Brembos up front slowed things down with power and precision.
Hard-packed dirt roads are all part of the fun on the S 1000 XR.
As with many adventure bikes, the XR’s small fairing, compact windscreen and hand guards provide adequate wind protection. Raising or lowering the windscreen, which requires two hands and a firm pull, doesn’t make a huge difference, and airflow is smooth but a tad noisy in both positions. Kudos to BMW for designing an easy-to-read instrument panel that’s packed with lots of useful info. Like many models in BMW’s lineup, the S 1000 XR’s base price ($16,350) is for a fairly basic configuration. To get many of its most appealing features, you have to pay for higher-spec packages. The $945 Standard Package adds GPS preparation (for the optional $799 Navigator V, which can be operated through the Multi-Controller wheel on the left grip), heated grips, cruise control and saddlebag mounts (Touring Cases are $925.90 in gray or $961.90 in red). The $1,455 Premium Package adds the electronic features described above as well as a luggage rack and centerstand.
BMW says the S 1000 XR is designed for “those who want the dynamic performance of a sport machine, the versatility of an adventure bike and the comfort of a touring motorcycle.” That’s what street-oriented adventure bikes, or crossovers, are all about: a sportbike engine tuned for the street; an upright riding position, low-effort handling and extra suspension travel; and enough features and wind protection for extended travel. The Premium-equipped XR covers all of the bases, and should give the Ducati Multistrada 1200 DVT some serious competition. We’ll have a full test of the S 1000 XR and a comparison with the Multistrada in the near future.
This S 1000 XR is equipped with optional saddlebags and a long list of accessories.
2016 BMW S 1000 XR Specifications
Base Price: $16,350
Price As Tested: $18,750 (Premium Package; accessory prices TBD)
Engine Type: Liquid-cooled, transverse in-line four, DOHC, 4 valves per cyl.
Displacement: 999cc
Bore x Stroke: 80.0 x 50.0mm
Transmission: 6-speed, cable-actuated wet clutch
Final Drive: O-ring chain
Wheelbase: 61.0 in.
Rake/Trail: 25.5 degrees/4.6 in.
Seat Height: 33.1 in.
Claimed Wet Weight: 502 lbs.
Fuel Capacity: 5.2 gals.
MPG: NA

I have order myself a s 1000xr and will be delivered next week according to the dealer in Udon Thani.
The worst part of it all is that i will not be back in Thailand till late august, i got my wife to order the bike as we were not sure to the lead time on delivery and the dealer was as well not sure.
So the bike will be waiting for me to come hoe and ride. I am looking forward to riding it as i have read a few reviews and i am very impressed. I will be test riding one in about a weeks time in Vancouver just to wet the appetite for my arrival.
I have ordered the red colour and the Only thai model available is with all the extra options listed in the review post.
I am looking forward to getting home to ride it

Hi All

Well me S1000XR has arrived in the Udon Thani BMW dealer and will be ready to be deliver to my house for when i come back to Thailand, I am looking forward to riding the bike and seeing just how good it is.

received_10207073686070290.jpg

The only problem is who do i ride first when i get home after 4 months away ????
:cruiser:

"Maybe like a ginger child I can learn to love it"

Video review of the bike here:

[video=youtube_share;ftFS4JDNv7o]http://youtu.be/ftFS4JDNv7o[/video]

Well my S1000XR has arrived and been delivered to my house thanks to my lovely wife how has arranged the complete transaction with the BMW dealer in Udon Thani as i am out of country at present.

the pictures look great and looks a fantastic bike and can not wait to get home and run the bike in and then head north for a week long trip in late September i hope.

I was surprised that the bike was delivered so quick, when my wife inquired about the bike she was told that there would be a lead time of around 6 week to 2 months which would have put the delivery very close to me return to Thailand, but it was only 10 day and the bike arrived so now it will just have to wait till i get home to ride.

received_10207118447589300.jpegreceived_10207118542831681.jpegreceived_10207118542871682.jpgreceived_10207118542911683.jpgreceived_10207118542951684.jpgreceived_10207118542991685.jpgreceived_10207118543071687.jpgreceived_10207118543111688.jpgreceived_10207118543231691.jpgreceived_10207118543271692.jpgreceived_10207118543311693.jpgreceived_10207118543351694.jpgreceived_10207119140766629.jpg

Happy Days and Happy Riding

Attachments

• received_10207118543391695.jpg
    received_10207118543391695.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 369
Hi
I have finally returned home and have been out on the bike for the last 2 days and have racked up 880km. I have to say that the bike is great and is a big step up from my Versys which I had. the handling is far superior and the general feel is not comparable but I guess that why there is such a price difference. Tomorrow I go to get the first service and get the restrictor removed, so will have to see what difference that will have. So far I am very impressed with the bike and am looking forward to heading up to the north for a few days of riding in a but over a weeks time.
20150831_123420.jpg

Attachments

• 20150831_123400.jpg
    20150831_123400.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 339
Hi All

So far i have put 6000 km on my XR so far and can only speak volumes about the bike. I am very happy with the purchase and i can see where the cost goes. It handles superb and has power to burn. One very quick bike, well the quickest i have owned. The only down side is the after sales service that has been offered from BMW Thailand.

Some of the issues that i have had with the dealer i Udon Thani are as follows, after the first service they forgot to remover the run in rev limiter so i return the bike and had it removed, after i did not ride the bike for a few days and once riding it again th cruise control no longer worked, not a big issue as i do not use it much but being a new bike i wanted it working. So it was another trip to the dealer which is a 130km trip each way. One return to have the issue fixed it took them 7 hour of working on the bike with out and info as to what is going on. At closing time for the dealer i was aproched saying that the Gear Shift Assist Pro was no longer working and would need to be replaced and it will be a 45day lead time on the part. I asked why is it no longer work as it was working when i dropped the bike off.
I was told that a software up grade was done on the ecu and it was no longer talking to the GSAP causing it not to work. I was given a car to drive home. The following day i got a phone call from the Motorrad manager saying that my bike had been fixed and i could come pick it up so again the 130k trip to get the bike, once i got to the dealer i was meet by the manager and i asked where is my bike and he told me that they have not fixed it yet and they were working on the issue as they had a new code from Germany. 5 hours later they still did not have the bike fixed. I was told by the manager that he had called every dealer in Thailand to see if any had had the same problem and i was informed that it was the first on recorded. i asked for a bike or car so i could get home an was offered but i would have to return it the following day, so i mentioned if my bike was not fixed the following day how would i get back home to Khon Kaen. o th manager agreed to drive me home. the following day I had realized that i had left my sunglasses under the seat and my BMW Nav 5 gps on the bike.
I messaged the manager if he could put them aside for me to pick up. His reply was that he sees the GPS on the bike and sunglasses. I was in Udon and dropped by the dealer to pick up ,y thing and was told tht they do not have the GPS and said that i had taken it home with my o the first night when they had given me a car to get home.
I asked to see the camrea recordings for the workshop and you can see the GPS on the bike. but they still claimed that i took it home with me. The video show the bike being taken out from the work shop, i guess to test drive to see if the problem was fixed and after that there was no longer a GPS on the bike, and they are stil claiming that i too it home. As well i had purchased rim sticker on Ebay for the bike and my wife asked if they could fit them for me which i was willing to pay for but they said no charge. they put the rim stickers on but there were 8 extra stickers that were to be put on the inner part of the rim but there were not put on, i asked about the sticker as i could put these ones on myself as it is not to hard but i was told that all the sticker were used. The following day when i was out side the workshop trying to arrange my transport home i notice that 2 of the mechanics had the sticker stuck on their helmets, so another theft.
I have let my wife take care of dealing with them i regards to the theft and has reported it to the police and the dealer has to replace the GPS which is taking its time as they keep having meeting ith different bosses. I report all these problems to costumer service with BMW Thailand 5 time and still to now have not received any response from them.

So Back to the problem with the GSAP, i called another deale MF Motorrad and as them about the issue that i was having and the owner told me that he know about the issue as he had one bike that had the same issue and said that i just need to get the dealer in Udon to call him and he will give the correct code to him ti fix the problem. I called Udon and the manager told me that he had spiken to MF Motorrad and he had no idea about the issue, so i was now told that the on;y way to fix the bike was to wait the the replacement part. So i told the Udon Motorrad that i will come pick the bike up and i had planed to take it to MF Motorrad to get it fixed.
The day before i was going to pick up the bike the Udon Manager called my wife to inform her that my bike had been fixd and was ready to pick up. Apon picking the bike up i asked the manager how he managed to get the bike fixed and his responce was that he called MF Motorrad and they helped with the correct code to get the GSAP fixed, the same that i had told him 4 days earlier. so i have racked up 4000km since i get the bike back and have not had any problems. I am still waiting for the replacement GPS, once i get the GPS i will never go back to the dealer in Udon again and will ride the extra 80km to go to the Korat dealer for service.

So to finish off i have been very appalled with the service from BMW Thailand i general, hay but the bike i great

- - - Updated - - -

So to finish off i have been very appalled with the service from BMW Thailand i general, hay but the bike i great

I have never heard anything but constant issues with BMW in Thailand.. From the bikes and cars..

Back
Top Bottom