BMW confirm 800r to be made in rayong 2014

monsterman

BMW plant in rayong is adding a motorcycle assembly line alongside the cars assembled here from CKD kits , 40% local content with production starting march 2014 , eventual capacity about 1000 bike a year to begin with first model will be the 800r parallel twin current price 790,000 after assembly here probably 35% cheaper 499k???? other models will follow , the engine will come from BMW /Rotax plant in china it already does that for EU assembly ..

yes according to Uk press releases and recent reviewers the 650 singles and now 800 twins are knocked up in China by a JV with Rotax and chinese manufacturing contractor I dont know if thats loncin??. the inline 4s and big flat twins are made in Germany.

yes according to Uk press releases
weblink? official source of the UK press release? somehow can't believe they manufacture the 800cc in China, meaning the real 800cc para-twin engine here ~ not the de-tuned version that sits in the 700cc, appreciate any solid info, thanks!didn't BMW went totally away from Rotax a while ago with the 650cc engines being manufactured by Loncin for BMW? correct me if I am wrong here.....BMW GS parallel-twin: BMW GS parallel-twin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

112813-2014-bmw-f800r-f.jpg

BMW Begins Motorcycle Production in Thailand » Motorcycle.com News

"BMW has opened a new motorcycle assembly line at the company’s factory in Thailand. The facility will initially only produce F800R roadsters from complete knock-down kits for the Thai market, though BMW plans to eventually make the facility a production hub for other Asian markets."

(Motorcycle.com)

If they make them from complete knock down (CKD) there is no benefit in import duties unless BMW has a special arrangement with the BOI.
I am curious if the prices will be significantly lower than the current BMW complete built up (CBU).

still the media release doesn't say they are using MIC = Made In China 800cc engines.
wonder how all this goes down with Chinese or Asian's in general as the ones with $$$$'s prefer BMW = Made in Germany and Ducati = Made in Italy and not the ones with MIT = Made in Thailand stickers.

don't know about Thai biker owners but over here in Red China they (natives) protect the stickers on the frames, the ones that show tyre pressure and chain adjustment, once my MTS was registered the stickers came off with a good WD40 soaking and gentle use of a heat-gun.
they (stickers) came off all intact and keeping them stuck to a piece of paper with all the bike documents and they say MIJ = Made in Italy on a few, re-sale value increased.....

The only engines BMW make for motorcycles in germany are the boxers and 4cylinder rr models ,, the Chinese manufacturing has been running for last 3 years , before that the engines were made under contract by rotax in Austria ,its the modern way look at Ford no cars made in UK but uk supplies 80% of engines and gearboxes for all EU models

If they make them from complete knock down (CKD) there is no benefit in import duties unless BMW has a special arrangement with the BOI.
I am curious if the prices will be significantly lower than the current BMW complete built up (CBU).

40% local content to starts with ,, the rest from KIts from EU and china and taiwan .

TB-R, if CKD than the engine will come with the rest of the assembly kit from Germany.
Even if parts of the (or the entire) engine are "MIC", BMW would not want to reveal this for many reasons.

40% local content to starts with ,, the rest from KIts from EU and china and taiwan .

The article of 2Wheels mentions Complete Knock Down, which is the entire bike as a kit, the CKD is build up from 100% imported parts in the CKD kit.
If 40% of the parts is sourced locally this is not CKD build up but a bike assembly plant.

The plant director has said that 40% of parts willed be sourced locally, the plant has limited facilities for production of components its a multiuse assembly plant , cars and bikes .The parts only need to be concentrated at the plant same as Triumph do at Hinckley , bits arrive from china,taiwan,germany,france thailand etc added to whats made in house and assemlbled ,,

wait and see , If BMw cant see some big advantage why would they do it ????

In that case the article is wrong, it's not a CKD build up, it is a local assembly plant.
This will mean there is a import duty benefit and maybe also a BOI benefit.

Back
Top Bottom