Bike video editing tips

MastaMax

Bikes
19 ktm 300tpi 6 days / 15 Yamaha YZ250F / 08 Husky 450SMR / 13 ER6N / 13 KTM 300XCW(sold)
Because some users already asked me some tips about video editing, why not create a new thread with editing tips. The idea is to stay in the scope of riding video stuff.

I'm still a beginner (have my cam for about a month now) but start to get the grip on Adobe Premiere Pro and Adobe After Effects.

There are tons of effects and plugin in those video editing software tools, but a few of them are especially useful for riding videos.

Here are a few common tips for GoPro/ContourHd... videos using Adobe After Effects:

- Un-fisheye your video: if you want to remove the wide angle perspective from your video the effect to use is : "Optics compensation". Set it to negative and correct the angle. Little tutorial video (will post as url for readability purpose):

- Stabilize your video: in After Effects 5 there is a tool called "warp stabilizer" that is amazing. Here is an example I made myself with my contourHD (available in full HD) before and after:

- Make slow/fast-motion: use a plugin called twixtor, it gives amazing results. For good slow-mo filming at 60fps is a must. Here is another test I made mysefl (also using the contourHD waterproof case):

- Use the color correction or a plugin called Looks (from "Magic Bullet") to change the colors, add vignetting... In the jungle there is often to much green and it makes the color histogram very flat (only green). As example, same video as the stabilization one, before/after color correction, though I may have over-saturate on this one:

- Use different camera angles: still experimenting this, to make a video less boring don't shoot long pov videos, change the angle (turn the video around and film backwards, film from the side,...).

That's the basic things I use, it's fast and easy to use but takes long time to rerender the video (with slow-mo and Looks about 5hours for a 10min video in full-hd at 30fps).

Thanks for that brilliant post. Full of encouragement and assistance to get out there and record some reality.

:RO

Ally

Tips for animated map in After Effects:

The easiest way is to import your map as image file, turn the layer to 3d layer, then you can just rotate it change the angle,... Play with the position and Y axis rotation to navigate through it.

To add a path the easiest way again, is to double click on you image (you get in the source editing), then take the brush tool and paint over your map. You can then easily control the offset of your brush from the animation view.

Here is a good tutorial how to do it (on 2d map, but works the same):
http://library.creativecow.net/articles/rabinowitz_aharon/Shape_Tips_3/video-tutorial

It was my first try in this video:

But with some tweaking and more lights/effects (like the particle generator...) you can get much better results, for example (this one is not made by me):

One thing might be worth playing with.. With a GPS trail you can do animated google earth outputs.. and with the output do flybys and move around as the gps trail is animating with a small 'motorbike' avatar at the gps point.

I think these can be exported as video files also.

Yes I played with the google earth animations, but the maps are crap. Ideally I would like to take the google earth 3d terrain and apply it as displacement map for the Rideasia gps map so we would get a map with elevation on it.

I run a google earth mod so you can get the google maps layers within google earth.. So you get better mapping..

I dont know if that layer is exportable for the animation system tho. Wouldnt have thought so.

I mean it will never be as good as the rideasia gps map.
What I did is download the ultra high terrain map from a geographical website (http://srtm.geog.kcl.ac.uk/portal/srtm41/srtm_data_geotiff/ North Thailand is tile 56_09) and now I have to apply it as displacement map on a plane with the rideasia map as texture. But that can't be done in After Effects, I need to install 3ds max or any other 3d software and I'm a bit lazy for that, will do later and post the result.

Back
Top Bottom