Bike storage in Cambodia

falcon9

Bikes
Keeway TX200, Megapro 150, CBF250
Hi all
I know this question appears often but it seems to usually be tailored toward Thai bikes and after a few replies the thread gets distracted and starts talking about other problems, namely keeping the bike out of Thailand more than 30 days. That's not my problem. :)

I have a Malaysian bike fully owned and registered in my name. I plan to cross from Thailand to Cambodia, then store the bike in Cambodia for up to four months while I myself go to Vietnam for a...holiday(?).

From reading I understand that I will get 30 days at the Cambodian customs. Can this be extended? If so, how?

That pretty much sums it up. Thanks for any help. :)

You will not get any paper for the bike from Cambodia's customs so the bike can stay as long as you want as far as Cambodia is concerned.

Thanks nightrider. I'm planning on teaching English in Vietnam so am not concerned about taking the bike over, but that's great to know.
Would you anticipate problems leaving Cambodia and entering Thailand with no Cambodia paperwork?

If you want you can drive your bike into Vietnam at the southernmost crossing called Ha Tien.

http://www.nightrider.info/rides/phuquoc.html

NR
That was the case back then, but its different rules now.
A visa obtained in advance is required to enter at Ha Tien.
I spoke to Viet customs there last month and they told me I could enter on my Cambodian registered big bike, but not a Thai registered bike.
I'm assuming its Cambo registered bikes only for now. I doubt that's a nationwide policy either, even though they told me I could go anywhere in Vietnam.

Cambodia did officially begin its participation in the Asian Economic Community as of Jan 01 2016 so hopefully crossing borders across Asean will become easier soon ?

NR
That was the case back then, but its different rules now.
A visa obtained in advance is required to enter at Ha Tien.
I spoke to Viet customs there last month and they told me I could enter on my Cambodian registered big bike, but not a Thai registered bike.
I'm assuming its Cambo registered bikes only for now. I doubt that's a nationwide policy either, even though they told me I could go anywhere in Vietnam.

Cambodia did officially begin its participation in the Asian Economic Community as of Jan 01 2016 so hopefully crossing borders across Asean will become easier soon ?

Do all nationals need a VISA in advance at Ha Tien or only non-VISA-exempt nationals?

Is it not possible for Thai bikes to enter the "free zone" anymore?

Do all nationals need a VISA in advance at Ha Tien or only non-VISA-exempt nationals?

Just non-Visa -exempt nationals. I'm Australian and need a Visa in advance, as do USA passport holders.
Here's the list of exempt countries

I note UK citizens get 15 days free

"From 1 July 2015 to 30 June 2016, all British passport holders travelling for tourism or business can enter Vietnam for up to a maximum of 15 days without a visa. If you’re planning to travel after 30 June 2016 you should contact the Vietnamese embassy in London for further advice. "
https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/vietnam/entry-requirements

Is it not possible for Thai bikes to enter the "free zone" anymore?
I did ask that question relating to Thai bikes and was told no. I dont know if that extends to Malaysian registered bikes etc.

Thanks for the advice guys.

I've ended up changing my plans anyway; since I have to return to Malaysia before heading across to India I will just take the bike there and garage it for four moths and take a cheap flight to Cambodia. Not missing anything since I would only be riding to Phnom Penh anyway, and I get the big ride out of the way now when I'm not in a rush.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the advice guys.

I've ended up changing my plans anyway; since I have to return to Malaysia before heading across to India I will just take the bike there and garage it for four moths and take a cheap flight to Cambodia. Not missing anything since I would only be riding to Phnom Penh anyway, and I get the big ride out of the way now when I'm not in a rush.

Back
Top Bottom