Big Miles

Steve Canyon

Bikes
SMT990
Hey Slasher thanks for the ride reports. I have used some of your reports in the past to help plan my trips, they really do show what's possible on a Bike in Thailand.

There's so much info there it's hard to take it all in, it would really help if it was broken day into length of trip, Ie 1 2 or 3 days ??, I'm not criticising, it's just that the reports capture what's to be seen along the way...... and the way to go in great detail... I would love to see GPS maps as well.. :)

Looking forward to the new Adventures on the new bike...What's it to be...

Thanks

Thanks for the comments Chris, I basically arrive in Thailand each year from about 1st november-30th march, retrieve my bike from whoever has it then do a few day rides out from Chiang Mai. before going off on my tours.

On the holiday that I am currently posting the trips from I left Chiang Mai on 23rd november and it was one long trip until I returned to Chiang Mai on 11th march.
Each days ride is a trip or part of the big trip whichever way you want to view it, I am putting the date of each days ride in the title so its easier for reference.
I just stay in cheap guest houses or hotels around the country, some places only for one night, but Nan, Kanchanaburi and Si Saket seem to hold my attention for a long time as they are good bases with lots of roads to explore from them

This holiday was my first with a GPS and at the bottom of the reports is the link to the GPS tracks on http://www.captainslash.com which are available for anyone to download for free.
Some of the Nan tracks have been utilized by Auke on his GPS map so everyone is gaining from the sharing of this information

At the moment a Kawasaki KLX 250 looks the favourite choice, unless something better suddenly appears of course

As I have all tracks from Captain Slash I can try to put them in the map and colour-code them by day and put the date on that particular track. By doing it in this way, it will be easier for people to see where a particular trip went and which trip report they should select to read about it.

The map below shows trips in the first week of this year in January - let me know if this would help to get a better overview of where the Captain went and on what day.

Slash Trips Test.JPG

Auke --would be great if you could put the tracks a the map, ive done it for a couple of them already, gives the story another dimension.

I think the maps would be a fantastic idea, I understand know that it is one long ride Slash so the 1day or 2day ride breakdown would not work, what about region or length ?? just thinking out loud, as I say there is so much there with all the detail it seems a shame not to do some thing special with it all....its virtually an atlas of trips..??

KLX is gonna give you some serious bottom pain....apart from that and needing long legs...great bike

Let's wait and see what the Captain prefers. I can put the trip reports in order of area/region covered like Sisaket (shows in the map above with all the trips starting in Sisaket shown with their dates), Nan, Mae Hong Son, Kanchanaburi, etc..

Can also put a map at the bottom of each trip report - that is a bit of work and am a bit short of time at the moment (still my last day of the Mekong trip to prepare) so that might take time.

Personally I think that for most of the people it would be useful to have a quick overview of trips which can have or can be done in a certain area as looking at the Title of the post it is not always clear where it is (in particular true for people who are not familiar with the area).

Anyway, I'll wait till the Captain chimes in before I start doing things

Thanks guys, especially Captain Slash. Treasure trove of info...

Auke I will leave it to what you and others on this forum want and think is best, I do the riding and take photos, the technical stuff is left to others

Ktm Chris said:
KLX is gonna give you some serious bottom pain....apart from that and needing long legs...great bike

I think my first visit will be to the shop where I think Phil had some seat upholstery done on his 650 Bm

Colin the guy 1km south of Duke's restaurant on the Ping river in Chiang mai is a true craftsman. He will give your seat back initially without the cover for you to test and then make any modifications that are needed.

He also copied a USD$500 Rezanco seat for my KTM for 2,200 bht was a perfect job.

Captain_Slash said:
[quote="Ktm Chris":2asfjs80]

I think my first visit will be to the shop where I think Phil had some seat upholstery done on his 650 Bm[/quote:2asfjs80]

Back
Top Bottom