Auke Koopmans tribute thread

The Bigfella

Staff member
Bikes
KTM 613 EXC, BMW R90S & Dakar, MZ250, Norton 16H, Honda - 500 Fs & Xs, DRZs, XLs XRs CRFs CT110s etc
Auke was one of the nicest guys that I've met. Not one for confrontation, but he wouldn't suffer fools.

I did many road trips with Auke and I enjoyed many beers, meals and chin wags with the man.

I'd like to post some of my photos of the man here. Feel free to add to them.

This photo, on my bike, is the only time I ever saw Auke on a bike... but he had bike riders in his care.

aukerip-X3.jpg

Always up for a challenge

auke5-X3.jpg

Able to get in anywhere

auke2-X4.jpg

auke1-X3.jpg

I reckon I've spent many a week across the table from the man... and, as this proves, not always with a beer

auke4-X3.jpg

auke3-X3.jpg

Reminds me of the regular Friday night drinks that Auke used to take me to. This photo was sent to me from Laos... it's a dog that Auke fell in love with. It reminded me of the time Auke travelled well out of his way to pick up donations for Laos from another Dutchman who ran a dog welfare centre.

aukeanddog.jpg

Don Muang airforce base? I've been there too...was even offered to go on a training flight with a local airforce pilot and maintenance engineer at the time.

Out of curiosity, how old was Auke when he passed?

Don Muang airforce base? I've been there too...was even offered to go on a training flight with a local airforce pilot and maintenance engineer at the time.

Out of curiosity, how old was Auke when he passed?

No, that's the airforce base in Chiang Mai... co-located with the airport. At a guess, I think Auke was 72, or thereabouts.

Here are some photos from the first night of Auke's funeral.
I attended with Ally.
The actual cremation will be at a time to be announced on Monday 25th.

GetAttachmentThumbnail.jpg

Auke's loyal steed was returned from Nong Khai and parked at the Temple.
Lao road grime, appropriately, still on it.
Very poignant.

GetAttachmentThumbnail-1.jpg

GetAttachmentThumbnail-2.jpg

GetAttachmentThumbnail-4.jpg

GetAttachmentThumbnail-3.jpg

GetAttachmentThumbnail-9.jpg

GetAttachmentThumbnail-6.jpg

Auke's three sisters arrived from overseas (Holland?).
The younger couple are Auke's son Seatse and his wife Ceri.

GetAttachmentThumbnail-12.jpg

GetAttachmentThumbnail-7.jpg

RIP dear friend.

I met Auke once about a year ago at Riders Corner. I enjoyed a conversation about Laos, adventure and our trucks. Very nice guy. I'm amazed of the wealth of information he has shared with the Ride Asia forum. Any time I research a question on this site it invariably leads me to a Lone ride post. Sad loss for us all.

R.I.P. Lone Ride, Godspeed

00cc5-X2.jpg

I shared many a dining table with Auke.

Seeing the photo of that trip up to the crashed chopper brought back memories. Auke, Tum and I had gone in his old truck, via the Elephant Trail to Mae Hong Son and then back to the chopper and home, over a few days. It was as dry as a Nun's nannywhacker up near the chopper and slippery in the bulldust. I got this shot of Auke driving with care.... sliding down the hill. As I recall it, the old truck had about 380,000 km on it when he finally upgraded to the silver Hilux. The new vehicle made me much happier as a passenger. One had to sit on the wrong side of the road for what seemed to be ever, when overtaking in this old non-turbo slug

I didn't realise how much Auke liked that red shirt. This was another trip, half a country away, down to the museum at Khao Kho and the museum and then the old communist headquarters and training camp in the jungle. Once again, in the old, slow Toyota.

Thanks for the memories Ian great pictures, that old Tiger pickup sure served him well.

It did indeed, Bob. Here's one taken in Feb 2016, when we were in Pakse in the new Hilux. We came back from that trip with a broken shock absorber

Auke, helping travelers, as always. I don't think that Frenchman was giving me the finger.... just being expressive

0aukehelpsagain-X3.jpg

A couple of us were able to visit Auke's favourite bar tonight and raise a glass or two in his memory. Auke never advertised it's location... and we'll honor that tradition.

Attachments

• 1561733424326.png
    1561733424326.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 217
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
H General Discussion 5