Around Battambang in Cambodia

Nightrider70

Bikes
DRZ400SM
I wanted to check out the roads to a track to Pramoy from Pailin and if I could get there easy, ride it. I also wanted to check out Phnom Sampeau and the Battambang suroundings.

All you need to ride your bike into Cambodia is your passport, a passport photo and the bike's green book. You have to own the bike or bring an authorization from the owner. VISA on arrival is available.

Download POIs and tracks for GPS (.gpx) or Google Earth (.kmz)
The numbers written in superscript in the text are references to these files. The Google Earth file shows where all the pictures were taken.

View POIs and tracks in GPSvisualizer

All roads and POIs mentioned in this text are updated to OpenStreetMap

map.jpg

March 10th 2013 Sunday

Entered Cambodia at Poi Pet[SUP]01[/SUP]. No problems and not much people. Spent the night in Sisonpon at Morakot guesthouse[SUP]02[/SUP]. Was qouted $10 for an A/C room with frige, WiFi, hot shower and TV. When I checked out the next day and was supposed to get change back for the $20 I payed with the day before, the price was $12 all of a sudden.

001.jpg

Had food at Red Chilli[SUP]03[/SUP].

002.jpg

Lok Lak.

003.jpg

When I drove back to the guesthouse my back tire was flat :-(

March 11th 2013 Monday

Noticed there was a tire shop[SUP]04[/SUP] across the street from the guest house. They patched my tube for $3, can't beat that.

004.jpg

Headed south towards Battambang. Checked the status of some roads going southwest towards Pailin. None were any good.

005.jpg

006.jpg

But 5 is just fine.

008.jpg

This is 157 going west. Looks like it may be be paved soon.

009.jpg

When close to Battambang I turned west towards a dam[SUP]05[/SUP] I don't know the name of.

011.jpg

After a while I ran into another road to the dam and it was paved.

012.jpg

Main outlet.

013.jpg

Reservoir.

014.jpg

Flood gate.

015.jpg

016.jpg

Plenty of vendors around the dam.

019.jpg

I took the paved road back out to 57 and went north to Battambang.

020.jpg

Passed Phnom Sampeau[SUP]06[/SUP].

021.jpg

In Battambang I took this road south. I hoped it would be good all the way to the begining[SUP]07[/SUP] of a track to Pramoy from Pailin. I don't know the name of this road but Google maps calls it 154 and it runs along Sangker River.

022.jpg

Sangker River.

023.jpg

The road turns to good dirt and later turns to north-west. Not south as I hoped but I follow it.

024.jpg

It took me out to 57. I head south to try another road to the track.

026.jpg

I tried this paved road going south.

027.jpg

It turned to dirt and took me to this little bridge.

028.jpg

On the other side of the river I picked up this road east. It was not very smooth.

029.jpg

It T-boned into this road going north and south. At the south end of this road the track begins[SUP]07[/SUP]. It was pretty bad with rocks sticking up and big potholes. I was here about 2 years ago and at that time they worked on some of these roads and I hoped some had been sealed providing easy access to the track. Apperently they were left to go to shit instead.

030.jpg

031.jpg

032.jpg

The road kept going north and was bad until it joined the good dirt road I rode earlier. Asphalt on the horizon! Wonderful after some time on bumpy shit roads.

033.jpg

Here it looked like they were trashing a whole mountain. Not very pretty.

034.jpg

Drove in to Battambang and checked in at Borey Battambang Lim Tie Heng[SUP]08[/SUP]. $12 for an A/C room with fridge, TV, WiFi, hot shower and a bathtub. There are loads of guest houses and more hotels are being built.

035.jpg

Went to see the old French train station[SUP]09[/SUP].

036.jpg

037.jpg

038.jpg

The governor's house[SUP]10[/SUP].

039.jpg

040.jpg

Battambang Provincial Hall[SUP]11[/SUP].

041.jpg

Riverside Balcony restaurant[SUP]12[/SUP], supposed to be a cool spot. A sign told me it is closed on Mondays.

042.jpg

Went to eat at Wood House Restaurant[SUP]13[/SUP]. The food was good and not expensive. "Lok Lak" with steamed rice, three beers, a soda pop and an icecream kicked me back $6.50. They also got WiFi but it was down when I was there. Ice cold draught beer for $0.50.

044.jpg

March 12th 2013 Tuesday

I took the same 154 (Google) south with Phnom Banan[SUP]14[/SUP] on my mind.

045.jpg

I side tracked on this dirt road that was beeing fixed up.

046.jpg

It took me to the area of the Bamboo trains[SUP]15[/SUP] so I had a look and they are still in business.

047.jpg

Then I again aimed for Phnom Banan[SUP]14[/SUP]. Rode the same fine dirt road back.

048.jpg

Back on 154 (Google) again.

049.jpg

Vendors at the bottom of Phnom Banan[SUP]14[/SUP]. I got charged $3 to enter.

050.jpg

Stairs to the top.

051.jpg

Trees blocking the view.

052.jpg

Does it ever end.

053.jpg

More trees blocking the view.

054.jpg

Sturdy hand rails in Naga style.

055.jpg

Almost there.

056.jpg

The top.

057.jpg

Yet more trees blocking the view.

058.jpg

Then off to Phnom Sampeau[SUP]6[/SUP].

059.jpg

A statue in the making?

060.jpg

The road to the top.

061.jpg

The top.

062.jpg

Great view.

063.jpg

064.jpg

065.jpg

The view again.

066.jpg

A stair leads down to a cave below the temple on top.

067.jpg

068.jpg

Then I went on to see the Killing Cave[SUP]16[/SUP]. On the way was this French building used by the communists as a prison.

069.jpg

Crocodile mountain seen from behind the French building.

070.jpg

The Killing Cave[SUP]16[/SUP] used by the communists to kill school teachers, doctors and others.

071.jpg

People were pushed into the cave and their death through this opening.

072.jpg

The result.

073.jpg

Then back down. Phnom Banan[SUP]14[/SUP] seem from the road down.

074.jpg

I realized that I did not have any strenght left after yesterday's bad roads and the stairs up to Phnom Banan[SUP]14[/SUP] so I started to head back and saved the track for another ride. Took the 57 back to Ban Pakkhad[SUP]17[/SUP] and Thailand.

075.jpg

You're doing some fabulous stuff over there NR, looks like we should shoot down there before rainy season.

Great Report .. I'm looking to ride a similar route within the next 2 weeks ... but also to take in Angkor Wat. At the beginning you mentioned entering Cambodia on a 'Borrowed' motorcycle, 'Authorization from Owner' .. does such authorization need to be in particular format or just a general letter from the owner?
Thanks for the report ..... Geoff

Great Report .. I'm looking to ride a similar route within the next 2 weeks ... but also to take in Angkor Wat. At the beginning you mentioned entering Cambodia on a 'Borrowed' motorcycle, 'Authorization from Owner' .. does such authorization need to be in particular format or just a general letter from the owner?
Thanks for the report ..... Geoff

KTMphil has posted on the subject:

http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-...bike-border-crossings-bike-not-your-name.html

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Cambodia Ride Reports 11
Back
Top Bottom