Anybody done "the loop" in the last week or so?

realmc26

Has anybody been from Tha Khaek to lak Sao via the loop recently. I think there may have been some rain in the area today.

Easily doable in a day? 5-6 hours? A hard slog this time of year?
Thanks

Haven't done this recently but about 6 weeks ago I was in that area and there were plenty of foreigners doing the loop on small "step-through" bikes. The first part from Thakheak to Nakai is all paved and from Nakai the next 35 km is gravel so that is no problem. Even though there might have been some rain I don't think that it will cause any problems at this point in time (at the end of the rainy season it will be muddy). Anyway, they are upgrading the road from Lak Xao to the south so part of it should be already quite good.

From Thakeak to Lak Xao is 150 km so you should be able to do it easily in 5-6 hours and I have met people who did the whole loop (Thakheak to Lak Xao and then on to Thakheak) in one day but most people take 2-3 days including a visit to the Konglor cave.

Seeing as there`s very few women on here i`m glad no one has put their hand up :)

Haven't done this recently but about 6 weeks ago I was in that area and there were plenty of foreigners doing the loop on small "step-through" bikes. The first part from Thakheak to Nakai is all paved and from Nakai the next 35 km is gravel so that is no problem. Even though there might have been some rain I don't think that it will cause any problems at this point in time (at the end of the rainy season it will be muddy). Anyway, they are upgrading the road from Lak Xao to the south so part of it should be already quite good.

From Thakeak to Lak Xao is 150 km so you should be able to do it easily in 5-6 hours and I have met people who did the whole loop (Thakheak to Lak Xao and then on to Thakheak) in one day but most people take 2-3 days including a visit to the Konglor cave.

Thanks for that. I spoke to a guy who did it on a big old Honda cruiser a few days ago with street tires so I should be ok

Got held up for about 30 minutes at the roadworks but easy ride through, only 1 tiny section of mud along the whole route which a scooter might struggle in. I think I was expecting a lot worse having read a few guidebooks but I had not factored in that most people do it on those chinese step throughs'.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
bsacbob Laos Information 0