"ANY" key cut from a photograph (by a RideAsia rider)

KTMphil

Bikes
2007 KTM 990 Adventure Suzuki DRZ 400
I needed to get a key cut for a Triumph Street Triple, tried all the best key cutters in Chiang Mai & no one could match the blank key design.

Britbike/ Triumph, Chiang Mai, didn't have any key blanks, said they could "order" one from the UK, didn't know how long, so looking like a usual Thailand headache developing here. So, was sitting with Steve, who has owned a successful, wholesale key cutting business for decades, he said "show me the key". Got the key for him, he took a photo of the key & said "I'll have a key for you next week". I chuckled & thought he was joking, low and behold a key turned up the week after, put it in the Triumph, it fitted like a velvet glove, amazing - all from a photograph of the key.

1. TAKE A PHOTO OF YOUR MOTORCYCLE KEY (even if its the only key you have, if lost a replica can be cut from a photo)

2. If you've got a key you need copying and can't source the blank, Steve can probably get a replica cut for you.

Steve's email is:

steve "AT" elkie "DOT" co "DOT" uk

This is what Steve sent to me after the replica's cut from the photo of the key worked:

We can cut almost any key in the world, not just bikes and cars, often from just a photo (preferably a few from different angles, but most important, from directly above) like the one attached of your Triumph. By the way did I tell you, the numbers on the label stuck to the head of the key, is the actual key number. So, in future we can cut from that.

As for the price, it depends a bit on what blank we use, but mainly on how many ordered at the same time. To send a key from the UK is about 250 baht, to send two is probably still 250 baht. I can't guarantee it but a rule of thumb would be….

300 baht per key plus 250 baht postage

But I think the way to go would be to send me a clear photo and give as many details of the application as possible. I will then reply confirming that we can do it, with options of keyblank and postage costs.

How's that sound?

Cheers
Steve

We played with a photo of a Harley key, which are ridiculously expensive in Chiang Mai & even got that to work from a photo, they are a very unique key, short and small (blank example below):

MB003.jpg

From Steve:

Yes, plural. The information on our computer disagreed with the photo of the key. It gave two options for the blank, but neither looked exactly right. So they have cut the key on both. Can you let me know if either, or both work.

They also sent a Harley key for you to try (FOC). The reason being that if it works OK, then it will prove that we can cut the keys just from a clear photo. In which case you can let the world know that we can supply spares (as long as they don't have a transponder chip in them). If people don't need a spare, then at least take a photo of their key, because, if they suddenly lose their keys one can be supplied from the photo. They will of course have to wait a week or two for delivery.

This is an amazing service Steve is offering, it's decades of experience & using a huge computer database of key options.

Hmmm..... don't leave your keys on the table, eh?

Back
Top Bottom