Anodizing rims

Nightrider70

Bikes
DRZ400SM
The finish on my SM rims have suffered hard from riding in Cambodia and I would like to anodize or powdercoat them. Anyone know of any such shops around Pattaya or Bangkok?

Try talking to these people; http://www.tospeedonline.com/. I did, however, try to get the wheels for an XJR 1300 anodized a couple of years ago, and the company we talked to (can't remember if it was this one) wouldn't do it when they realized the wheels weren't brand new. They claimed it would be too difficult to get a proper finish with even minor dings, dents and/or scratches (which my wheels actually didn't have, but they still wouldn't consider it).

Anodizing a part that has already had anodizing done to it is apparently not easy, I tried to get that done in the past as well with another company than what you mention but same thing -nope, they could not guarantee that the result would be good so they preferred to not do it.

There are plenty of powder coaters in Chonburi, ask the bike shops (not in Pattaya as they will take the piss pricewise) or engineering shops in Chonburi and they will get you to the right door.

Cheers,
Hasse

Thanks guys!

Given your input plus I read on the internet that hard anodizing is only possible in a few colors, I lean towards powdercoating. I will go to Chon Buri and ask around and post my findings here.

the custom bike shops send their powdercating to Richco in CM
Very good work but not the cheapest. If you want cheap then there are 3-4 other shops in CM but I do not know about Chonburi

To come clean, Richie is my buddy so I am a bit biased

Hoghead said:
the custom bike shops send their powdercating to Richco in CM
Very good work but not the cheapest. If you want cheap then there are 3-4 other shops in CM but I do not know about Chonburi

To come clean, Richie is my buddy so I am a bit biased

As I stay in Pattaya I want to see what my options are around here first but do you have any idea of how much it would cost to powdercoat my rims at Richie's?

The front rim has been "sanded" by mud on the outer edge by some mud that got stuck on the right fork leg a couple of years ago. The same mud also crapped out the fork seal. After that I learned not to let mud dry on the fork but rather wash it off directly after riding.

The back rim is worse, some scratches into the aluminum from what must have been gravel in the mud. How this damage occurred is a mystery to my because I did wash the bike after riding. I obviously missed some mud somewhere.

None of the rims have dings or dents.

Front:
rimfront.jpg

Rear:
rimback.jpg

Not to piss people off here but I find the powder coating prices in CM to be fucking extortion, I paid 1'600 Baht to have a dirtbike frame powder coated in Chonburi a few years ago, was told that in CM the price is about 6'000 Baht.

Powder coating is not magic, nor is it a very expensive process -it is actually cheaper than wet paint if done properly as your wastage is pretty much nil and you have no thinners being wasted.

Cheers,
Hassman

Hassman said:
Not to piss people off here but I find the powder coating prices in CM to be fucking extortion, I paid 1'600 Baht to have a dirtbike frame powder coated in Chonburi a few years ago, was told that in CM the price is about 6'000 Baht.

Powder coating is not magic, nor is it a very expensive process -it is actually cheaper than wet paint if done properly as your wastage is pretty much nil and you have no thinners being wasted.

Cheers,
Hassman

Good info.

Did those prices include any prep/polish work or only the paint?

I wish you could tell me were that shop in Chon Buri is/was....

Powder coating does not require any polishing, prep work in a proper powder coating facility entails spraying or dipping the part in a degreaser bath, then into a bath/spray getting rid of surface rust and other impurities, then a third bath/spray to neutralize the surface.

This is all included in the price, one reason I think powder coating in CM is so expensive is that they tend to shot/sand blast the parts before spraying them, sand blasting is more labour intensive than spray/dip but still not to the tune of 4'400 Baht more expensive..

I don't know where the place in C'buri is/was as my work mate sorted it out for me, but...
Jotun (one of the powder manufacturers) have a phone number: 038-468 744, you may call and ask them if they can suggest a place in Chonburi.
http://www.aggsonengineering.com/services/ is a powder coater in BKK.

Good luck!
Hasse

Check out Hydra powder coating in Chonburi: 038 799907

Nightrider70 said:
Hoghead said:

Thanks.

I sent him an email asking for an estimate.

I did some rims (pre stripped / despoked etc) and I think I was quoted 1k each, then when I went to pick them up after was given some extra change to make them around 1600 ??

Not sure memory is hazy but something like that.

LivinLOS said:
Nightrider70 said:
Hoghead said:

Thanks.

I sent him an email asking for an estimate.

I did some rims (pre stripped / despoked etc) and I think I was quoted 1k each, then when I went to pick them up after was given some extra change to make them around 1600 ??

Not sure memory is hazy but something like that.

Was that 1'600 total or 1'600 per rim?

Total.. Memory really is hazy but I think they quoted 1k each rim and when I went to collect gave me extra change / discount..

Yes Richco is expensive, but the quality specially for gloss black is better than the other Thai shops I have seen. There is a good reason why the custom bike shops send it to CM from Pattaya rather than get it done locally.

In my past life I had been getting powdercoating done commercially since it came out 25-30 years ago, and my Sister owns a commercial powder company in Canada. Yes the prep work can be a dip process which is cheaper, however blasting is better.

Where the real cost comes in is on a wheel like on my HD where the rim edge and spoke faces are polished, and the rest is black powder. IIRC mine were 2500 for the pair - expensive but the polishing is included and they are perfect. I am particular and want and willing to pay for quality work on my bikes.
A simple spoked rim is easy and much cheaper

Since Richco is deemed "expensive" there are now 3-4 powdercoating shops in CM catering to those looking for cheap work. Remember in English that cheap has several connotations. I would point out that Richco was the first custom powdercoating shop in Thailand, and in the Asian way they are all now jumping on the bandwagon, and the only marketing meethod is that "I will do it cheaper than Richco".

In any case it is unfair to speculate on what it costs and the relative value of the price without talking to Richie.

A mate had his Harley powder coated through Hot Rod in Pattaya. They do not do it themselves but send away the parts to another company. But might be worth asking them.

now if your gonna get some powder coating done and you want a great job dont stuff around saving dollars with cheap shit and go get richo to do it.Ive tried all the pattaya powdercoaters and they are all rubbish.personally i dont think hes too expensive and he wont give it back to you unless its right.especially on something like a frame.you dont want to strip the bike down every year to redo it.dont ask me how i know.It,ll cost you a lot more in $$$ and grief in the long run going cheap believe me

Powder coating does not require any polishing, prep work in a proper powder coating facility entails spraying or dipping the part in a degreaser bath, then into a bath/spray getting rid of surface rust and other impurities, then a third bath/spray to neutralize the surface.

This is all included in the price, one reason I think powder coating in CM is so expensive is that they tend to shot/sand blast the parts before spraying them, sand blasting is more labour intensive than spray/dip but still not to the tune of 4'400 Baht more expensive..

I don't know where the place in C'buri is/was as my work mate sorted it out for me, but...
Jotun (one of the powder manufacturers) have a phone number: 038-468 744, you may call and ask them if they can suggest a place in Chonburi.
http://www.aggsonengineering.com/services/ is a powder coater in BKK.

Good luck!
Hasse

Anyone know if there's anywhere in CM (CR would be better but...) that can do this? If not, is there a place I could post it to - and trust them do things right? Got a KDX frame that wants sorting...

Rich at The Harley shop PC'd my YZ 250 frame.

LivinLOS now owns that bike. 5,000 baht for the job and it looked pretty sweet.

Maybe LivinLOS could give an update on the frames condition after 3 years?

Rich at The Harley shop PC'd my YZ 250 frame.

LivinLOS now owns that bike. 5,000 baht for the job and it looked pretty sweet.

Maybe LivinLOS could give an update on the frames condition after 3 years?

Not Perfect.. I think they did a good solid layer of PC, you can see it in a few places where it has chipped that it wasnt a light coat. But they didnt prep the frame well enough and theres corrosion under the PC and one place low on the frame I am a little concerned about.

Richco also PC'ed a slew of bits on my blade, going back 5 or 6 years and all have held up fine. But those had no corrosion and were cleaned up. Those were posted all the way from Phuket at the time as Richo has a good rep and the couple of Phuket powercoaters were pretty poor.

I was told by Herman about a powercoater in Lamphun, who were much cheaper than Richco, so perhaps this is them.. Herman had a frame done there and was pleased with it.

I might get the KTM frame blinged up orange, will see how that shakes out.

Yeh, it the dip treatment I'm looking for... I don't care about PCing - paint is fine. Blasting will get rust off the exterior but I'd prefer a treatment that can get to the insides too. Sent Lamphun an email - see what they say... Cheers.

THE problem with re-anodising something that has already been anodised is mineral leeching and pitting ,, its always going to be a risk ,of poor finish and even structural weakness due to pourous metal,,, same goes for rechroming aluminium ,, it can also leech minerals and become porous on 2nd time around the plating process....

I have seen this a few times ,, powder coating avoids thes issues ..

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N Bike & Rider Accessories / Services 0
Back
Top Bottom