Android GO-TO-CO-ORDINATES app

KTMphil

Bikes
2007 KTM 990 Adventure Suzuki DRZ 400
Even though there's a great GPS in most smart phones these days, i've always found it annoying that there were no easy ways to go to a waypoint without dropping a pin where you wanted the destination to be. If it was somewhere you were unfamiliar with, easy to make a mistake.

Finally found an easy to use Android app that allows you to punch your destination as co-odinates and it will route you to it.

In the Google Play Store, if you search for Map Co-ordinates you will find the icon for this free app:

p2 by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

Top right pull down menu, hit go to co-ordinates tab. It then gives you the option to input your destination as a co-ordinates.

p6 by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

It uses the deg min' sec" format, not the end of the world and easy to convert from decimal co-ord format

p5 by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

I put in some random co-ords as the destination waypoint

p4 by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

It then used Google Maps to route me to my destination

p3 by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

I think this will be very useful, especially a group ride/ tour, everyone can punch in the end of day destination and its pretty idiot proof.

You could just copy and paste your destination co-ords into the search box in Google Maps, but this is less fiddly

Phil, I am trying it too, it looks good!
On the top left are three horizontal bars, click on them and in settings you can change coordinates type to 4 settings, including decimal degrees.

After some experiments I found that it is possible to export route with waypoints as a KML file and get the route into Maps.me.
Benefit is that Maps.me does not require an internet connection and I think Google Maps does?

Another really useful thing about this GPS/ location app is its really easy to save waypoints. For me this had always been the missing gem on location apps for smart phones, making the Garmin GPS still desirable.

With this app, you have the option to save to contacts.

Screenshot_2015-10-19-13-30-27.jpg by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

All you have to do is give the location a name in your address book and the co-ords are saved. You've created a waypoint in your phones address book. Even saved as map co-ordinates.

Screenshot_2015-10-19-13-31-42.jpg by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

Back
Top Bottom