Air America and related videos

Lone Rider

Blokes Who Can
Bikes
4 Wheels
For those of you who are interested in things which happened in Laos during the "war" like the history of Air America and others, there are YouTube movies available here:

Monty Markham on Air America, via History Channel

Air America - CIA's Secret Airline (1/3)

Parts 2/3 and 3/3 are clickable at the same link.

Looks good, will watch tonight..

Nice one.

Isn't the guy presenting it out of Dallas?

The book Air America" by Christopher Robbins is also a must read, as is his "Ravens" about the forward air controllers operating out of Laos.

Eric

Sounds like they enjoyed what they did.....

Wonder if the same could be said for the Locals...

Just noticed that the Air America movies are no longer accessible on the original site due to copyright issues. I have the movie in 3 parts on my computer and can send them to anyone interested in them (each part about 15 minutes long with each having a size of about 59 MB)

Here's another AirAm film you can download, almost an hour long: Flying Men, Flying Machines

It was done by AirAm themselves back about 1969-'70, lots of good footage of Laos. Some good rice drop scenes from a C-46, landings and take offs by Caribou and Porter. I still email with a few of the folks in the film.

Index

Oh, and this is NOT the Mel Gibson spoof, which is really disliked by the AirAm group. I like it, tho...., especially the Porter landing on the uphill runway somewhere in northern Thailand, Mae Hong Son, I think. Probably one of the old BPP airstrips.

Mac

Here's another AirAm film you can download, almost an hour long: Flying Men, Flying Machines

It was done by AirAm themselves back about 1969-'70, lots of good footage of Laos. Some good rice drop scenes from a C-46, landings and take offs by Caribou and Porter. I still email with a few of the folks in the film.

Index

Oh, and this is NOT the Mel Gibson spoof, which is really disliked by the AirAm group. I like it, tho...., especially the Porter landing on the uphill runway somewhere in northern Thailand, Mae Hong Son, I think. Probably one of the old BPP airstrips.

Mac

Will look at this, thanks Mac

Index

Mac

Thanks Mac for posting the link - watching it while I type this. Remember the time that they were shooting the AirAm film here in Chiangmai with what is now the terminal used for the Royal Family being disguised as the Vientaine Airport.

Vientiane Revisited

Thanks Mac for the link. Of particular interest to me are the shots of the building at Wattay Airport in Vientiane and the high-altitude helicopter operations. From 1995 until 2004 I was the Engineering & Quality Manager for Helicopters (New Zealand) Limited. HNZ (now owned by Canadian Helicopters) has a fully-owned subsidiary "Lao West Coast Helicopters" operating out of that same building (or did during that period & maybe still do). The primary operations were conducted under a contract to the US Military supporting the MIA programme. My responsibility included visiting Vientiane every year to conduct base inspections and I visited socially on a number of occasions also. So, I can relate directly to the building and the venue.

Back
Top Bottom