After the KTM Freeride, the Scorpa T-Ride 280

MastaMax

Bikes
19 ktm 300tpi 6 days / 15 Yamaha YZ250F / 08 Husky 450SMR / 13 ER6N / 13 KTM 300XCW(sold)
In the same category as the KTM Freeride, here is the Scorpa T-Ride 280

video-evasion-en-t-ride-280-67751-2-v4zoom.jpg

Freeride looks far better IMO.

There's the Scorpa T-Ride and the Sherca X-Ride - difficult to find out the latest on with them. It looks like there was a Scorpa T-Ride 2t - then a Sherpa X-Ride 2t - and now maybe a Scorpa T-Ride 4t (Yam WR250 engine) coming.. Anyone know more? Is it a good/cheaper alternative to the Freeride?

This cross-breed enduro/ trials bike is starting to look like the way of the future. Ive spoken to a lot of doubters that are very experienced dirt riders, this will be interesting to watch for sure.

Here's the mention of the new 4t version (page bottom):
2012 Scorpa motorcycles This is a Scorpa US dealer. (I read somewhere though that it isn't going to be in the US this year.)
&
http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/scorpa_t-ride_250f_2012.php
&
A 2008 review: http://www.scorpausa.com/tride/ (hang on - that's got the 250 4t... ?)
&
A translated Spanish review from this year: http://www.latestbikesinfo.com/scorpa-t-ride-250f-the-precursor-of-its-kind.html

Bit hard to figure... Maybe it's the 280 2t that's in the new model? I've read some recent stuff on a French forum somewhere about these bikes - but couldn't translate it too well.

I've emailed the UK dealer but not had a reply. Will try email Scorpa direct... http://www.scorpa.fr/index.php No - can't. Unfinished website and no email address I can find...

Any trials riders (Paul? p.s. get ya KTM?) know anything?

I called tec-cycles, the first web site you mentioned. The Yamaha WR engines are not available, so the 4T is no longer made. They brought around 8 of the 2011 4Ts in last year and all were sold, but that's it. Future models will use the 2T engine. BAH. Who rides a 2T?

not sure about this design of bike its too heavy to be a trials bike , an doesn't look like a good enduro bike.. the free ride looks the best but for that money would rather go for the EXC or new Berg

It's just too heavy, 28kg heavier than our Gasgas trials bikes and only 6 kg lighter than the Berg 300. It's a nice idea but in reality I cant see anybody trading in their trials bikes to get one of these.

Can't see it as an alternative to a trials bike for trials riders - more as as an alternative from enduro bikes for trails riders. Maybe for a different style of riding and for more tricky/technical tracks. It's not just the weight that's different. But I surely don't have the experience in riding these kind of bikes to say... Know I'd like to try them out and compare... Maybe will one day - if get better and stop breaking bones.

While the tech specs of weight etc can be hotly debated.. I do think the trend of leaning from enduro to trials, rather than enduro to MX.. Leaning to less complex in maintenance, perhaps less power but more useable power, does sit well with many riders tooling about single track and off rd. More riders tooling about than leaping 50ft whoops like FMX riders.

4 stroke engine work bills, MX performance power and the associated headaches of the service levels.. All are off putting to riders who dont go that full on and simply want easy, cheap, light good to real world use.. Etc.. Its an interesting direction anyway.

I'm looking at getting one of these imported:

Sherco Xride - > > Sherco X-Ride 290 < <
Ossa Explorer - OSSA ? Motor ? Web Oficial Motos Ossa

UK prices are £5000 & £5300.

Can't find any magazine reviews in English. Emailed a UK dealer who sells both - both can be plated in UK, say Ossa is more fragile/complicated - as has f.i. (not d.i.). But, it's lower and lighter.

Been off riding on own around Chiang Rai and, with my skill level and for these areas/tracks I'm exploring, want something light but torquey and easy to man-handle. With a kick start, a good clutch - and a tank that vents top not bottom.

My 150 isn't bad, but few problems that make me want better - certainly for these solo trips. I could get an enduro 250 (higher, heavier, faster, maybe easier re. maintenance) then fall off till I get better... But I don't care for the faster too much so...

Any opinions welcome. Might help me check my thinking. There's the Freeride - but higher,bit heavier, pricier.

Parts and premix are 2 things that come to mind...

Not found or seen any local regular CR trails riders - if any reading, let me know. Awesome tracks and country but isolated if stuff goes wrong.

Yep, am GPSing... When finished an area - will post about it. (Some existing is wrong or not good or I've found new.)

My head would say get the KTM... Reviews have been glowing.. However useless they may be, there is a more likely parts supply chain.. And its Austrian not spanish !!

They look like superb tools all of them, but the obvous choice becomes even more obvious in a country like Thailand.

Cheers... Know what you mean... But...

Freeride hasn't got a kickstart though. Explorer has both - checking on Xride. I realised how important a kick start is the other day when stuck at bottom of v. steep hill - only way up - no room to bump start. (Think battery wasn't actually problem - too little fuel cos of it leaking out 150s 'great' emissions system when bike left resting at about 45 degree lean.) Anyways, kick start backup is important to me now.

Cheers... Know what you mean... But...

Freeride hasn't got a kickstart though. Explorer has both - checking on Xride. I realised how important a kick start is the other day when stuck at bottom of v. steep hill - only way up - no room to bump start. (Think battery wasn't actually problem - too little fuel cos of it leaking out 150s 'great' emissions system when bike left resting at about 45 degree lean.) Anyways, kick start backup is important to me now.

Why the hell haven't they put a kick start on the Freeride??? That seems crazy, presumably because of cost & there will be and aftermarket kick start kit.

Save weight, I think I read...

Maybe will be an extra option for it but, will probably be pricy - and the bike itself already is... Can't see getting Freeride parts being much better than getting for the other 2. Doubt KTM th will price nicely so will likely be best sourcing myself from UK / Europe -same as others.

(Just remembered - and the Freeride has a small tank.)

I'll mull it over till after chrisy, but I'll probably go for the Xride. Unless its not got leccy start. The Explorer looks better in some ways, but geometry is more trialsy from what I gather.

Wish I could try them all!

After much reading up, will go for the 2013 GasGas EC300e or 2013 Beta RR300 - once I've got prices off Jamie. Still not sure on bringing it in on UK plate or just paying Thai duties...

Had a sit on a freeride... Feels super nimble, light and narrow..

Possibly a bit small personally.. But felt really good.

After much reading up, will go for the 2013 GasGas EC300e or 2013 Beta RR300 - once I've got prices off Jamie. Still not sure on bringing it in on UK plate or just paying Thai duties...

I think you'll get sticker shock with the Thai imported bottom line price

Misunderstood....you mention uk plate, presumed you were talking about road registering it in thailand on the same basis. Paul's bike wont be road registered.

I would go with the advantages of a uk plate.. Especially up closer to the border as you are..

If it ever got to tedious it could always manage to get back in unstamped and be the same as unplated later..

Back
Top Bottom