Africa Twin 750 coolant ?

Fabiano Nero

Bikes
2000 Africa Twin RD07, 2002 Baja 250
Dear all, I needed to replace my 2000 AT RD07's coolant after replacing the thermostat. Mecanic put this Thai Honda Premix 1 (light blue see photo 1) which makes the engine warm up slower but once it reaches fan triggering temp it also cools off much slower - i.e. higher average and higher max temp (just below the red on slow offroad where it never went before). I suspect the coolant is for lighter bikes (up to 300 cc ?) but on the other hand I read that 'light' coolant i.e. diluted down to 20% glycol is indicated for hot climates / lots of offroad VERY hot weather coolant? . So while it seems logical to use a heavy duty coolant (see photo #2) on the other hand it also seems a coolant as close as possible to water is
indicated... Your experiences and advice please ?.... Thanks ! Fabiano

29wr4nb.jpg
44077215_964794543707558_8602398642927566848_n.jpg

I've always gone for the diluted coolant or even distilled water with no issues.

Do you know what Honda recommend?
50/50 glycol/water. But do they take hot climates into account ? The weblink and
I've always gone for the diluted coolant or even distilled water with no issues.
Thanks Bob on which bike (cc) pls ?

Do you know what Honda recommend?
Sorry reply left too soon... 50/50 glycol/water. But do they take hot climates into account ? The weblink and Bob above suggest to dilute as much as possible while my local mecanics here incl Western suggest heavy duty coolant which I presume is minimum 50/50. I assume the difference is more diluted = quicker heating/quicker cooling off which i like but then a HD coolant will boil at higher temp which may be better protection for the engine esp. in tough offroad conditions with prolonged stretches < 40km/h ?

Back
Top Bottom