Advice Appreciated

2wheels

Community Manager
Bikes
ROYAL ENFIELD CLASSIC
This November I will be riding Laos on a CRF and want to return to Thailand at Tha Li after riding from Vientiane along the Mekong via Ban Ang, Xanamkham and Phalat.
Is it possible to ride from Phalat, following the river, to Tha Li?
Or is it best to ride from Phalat up to Pak Lay then down to Tha Li?

Any info about the road along the river and availability of accommodation would be greatly appreciated.

I never tried the Phalat route, I believe you would have to cross the mekong on a smaller boat. The pak Lai route is very good, not far after Xanamkham you will be on good blacktop. the route is very nice, beautiful countryside. The ferry crossing is well run and it's a proper ferry that takes cars and trucks and such. After you cross you end up 5 k south of Pak lai, then its a nice blacktop ride all the way to Tha Li. Riding casually vientiane to Pak lai is about a half day, so going all the way to Loei for example would not be bad.
The road from Xan to vientiane is wide and decent but quite a few washboard sections, of course this can change. The scenery for a lot of the trip is fantastic with great views of the Mekong and the mountains in Thailand.

Thanks a lot Marcus.
So pottering along, stopping for photos etc from VT to Pak Lay could be done comfortably in a day?

For sure, I was stopping frequently on the Mekong sections and still it was about a half day drive.
It would be nice if you did the section down to Phalat as well, take some shots and have a look at the ferry. I am curious about it. I think it's an extra 40 k round trip for the diversion. The last 50k section to Pak lay is so smooth and refreshing, perfect ending for the day.

vt1.jpg

vt2.jpg

For sure, I was stopping frequently on the Mekong sections and still it was about a half day drive.
It would be nice if you did the section down to Phalat as well, take some shots and have a look at the ferry. I am curious about it. I think it's an extra 40 k round trip for the diversion. The last 50k section to Pak lay is so smooth and refreshing, perfect ending for the day.

What month of the year - how long ago, were those photos taken Marcus?

Thanks

Ally

That was March 2012, the dry smokey season. In November the river will look totally different I am sure. Most of the rock outcroppings will be submerged.

The other two alternatives on that road, north to Kasi and north to Feuang, hin Hoeup are quite fun as well. Vientiane, Feuang, vang noa, Pak Lai, is also a good day trip, in the dry season, not sure about the wet. Scenery wise the road on the Mekong is the winner.

Thanks again Marcus. :DD
I'm looking forward to riding that leg of our journey.
I'll go down to Phalat.

Should look really nice in November.

Lone Rider is out of the country - he sent a quick response from on the road

"Both options are possible. You can cross the Mekong at Phalat (there is a car ferry as well as as all boat for bikes) and you can cross at Paklay. Have a look at my trip report from earlier this year (January or sometime around that). Another option is when you come from Vangvieng is to head west at Hinheup and then head to the Mekong and from there to Xanakham from where you can head north to Paklay or west to Phalat. There are god guesthouses and restaurants in Paklay but the options for sleeping/eating in Xanakham are less good"

Some info in the thread below:

http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-...670-poking-around-areas-east-west-paklay.html

Paklay%2520Trip%2520January%25202012.JPG

Back
Top Bottom