Adventure luggage which is best?

KTMphil

Bikes
2007 KTM 990 Adventure Suzuki DRZ 400
When the "n" shaped Giant Loop Coyote, adventure luggage bag was launched, it was a revolutionary way of carrying gear on a adventure motorcycle. It fitted around the pillion seat position,it fitted any bike out of the box, it kept the weight low down & no racks needed to keep the bag out of the rear wheel - genius!

Of course, with it being such a good idea, it wasn't long before it was copied.

coyote-saddlebag-orange-600x400.jpg

40 liters of volume seems to be the sweet spot for big trips. That's enough space for tools, spares, inner tubes, clothes and even camping gear if you're minimalist.

There are now 3 other popular adventure bags of the same "n" shaped set up:

Altrider Hemisphere USD $323

Mosko Moto Reckless 40L $320

Nomad Rider Moab $ 200

The Mosko Moto Reckless 40L there's a thread in the link below:

http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-forum/bike-talk/7114-mosko-moto-motorcycle-luggage.html

I bought one of these and for a hard core trip this is probably the best option but only for that. It's belt and braces securing and strap arrangement is superb. But it takes a lot of adjusting to get it tight, the side roll top bags are too narrow diameter, you cant even push a pair of jeans down the side bag without trapping air, shoes have to be put in vertically, so for a regular trip a lot of messing around for nothing.

Reckless40L_Beauty_for_site_large.jpg

The Nomad Rider Moab bag is the most similar to the Giant Loop Coyote bag. Its made of thin cordura which makes it much lighter ( & cheaper) than the GL Coyote but no where near as strong. You have a crash and it could easily rip.

nomade by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

If the zip on the Giant Loop Coyote doesnt scare you, overall the original seems to still be the best option. 3 straps and its tight on the bike, some complain that the sides jump up when you go over big bumps, its not really an issue though.

Get 3 dry bags for inside and everything is waterproof. I wish they had put drain holes in the bottom corners, water does get in and cant get out. It has a very robust construction and is well thought out, i still think this is the overall winner.

coyote-saddlebag-orange-600x400.jpg

I haven't used the Giant Loop but I'd heard it wasn't waterproof, contained one 'giant zip' and I'm not one for the funky colour schemes. I therefore went with the Altrider Hemisphere.

I got the chance to try it out over the weekend and was very pleased with its performance and quality. It holds all my camping gear plus the usual clothing and equipment for a ride and I used the external pockets either side to carry a spare tube and a tool roll.

What I found most convenient was the holster design. I kept the holster on the bike the whole time and only took the saddlebag out when I stayed in the guest house. This saves having to tie the bag onto the bike every morning.

I also found it was very secure and didn't move around once tied to the bike, even when I took a tumble riding over a wet bamboo log at 45 degrees in my path.

I'll be giving the luggage a further test later this month during a couple of weeks in Laos. Here's a thread on both the Giant Loop and Altrider saddlebags: http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/altrider-vs-giant-loop.1004308/

I've had the Giant Loop Mojavi for a number of years. They are tough (probably can't get tougher) but like you say, not waterproof. I suspect the larger bags are the same. The Zips not the problem , it's because the seams are stitched and not taped. They supply a tube of seam sealant but it's not going to work like a tape. They could really do with a small eyelet drain hole in the bottom which I think has been mentioned before.

Are the Altriders seams taped ?

I think the Lomo 40L roll top drybags at £20 in the UK would be hard to beat for the price and coupled with the Mojavi I've still got the heavy stuff down low

The Hemisphere's seams are taped and there's grommets to allow water out the bottom of the holster, not the saddle bag itself.

Although it looks tough without extensive use I can't currently comment on the durability of either the saddle bag or the holster.

I've had the Giant Loop Mojavi for a number of years. They are tough (probably can't get tougher) but like you say, not waterproof. I suspect the larger bags are the same. The Zips not the problem , it's because the seams are stitched and not taped. They supply a tube of seam sealant but it's not going to work like a tape. They could really do with a small eyelet drain hole in the bottom which I think has been mentioned before.

I think the Lomo 40L roll top drybags at £20 in the UK would be hard to beat for the price and coupled with the Mojavi I've still got the heavy stuff down low

I use 3 dry bags inside the GL Coyote, its waterproofness isnt an issue then.

Dry bags are also a great way to organise your gear inside the large, single space of a saddlebag.

DSC04073.jpg

I have taken my Giant Loop Coyote on 2 separate long trips this past year and I find them to be excellent. Both trips on different bikes and the GL Coyote fitted on nicely and never budged or work loose once fitted on the bikes. The GL Coyote is a bit fiddly to use initially but once you have travelled a couple of days with it you will adapt to it as will your packing arrangements. It is essential to use the dry bags for stuff you really need to keep dry as some dampness does get through especially when wet. I normally will just grab my dry bag containing my clothing and another containing my electronics whenever I get to my hotel/GH at the end of my riding day and leave the GL Coyote on the bike (whenever there is safe parking). Another tip is to ensure all extra length of straps be securely tucked away less it gets caught up in your wheels or melts on your hot exhaust.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
KTMphil Miscellaneous 1
Back
Top Bottom