A Short Break in Lombok

Chrismb

Bikes
KLX650R
I first visited Lombok in 2011 with a good friend of mine who had family there, we hired some bikes, went exploring and I was hooked.

This September I needed a break from work and had five days up my sleeve, so I decided to return to Lombok to go for a ride on my own and discover some more of the island on my own terms rather than being shown around.

I was lucky to be able to take advantage of some very cheap flights on the Jet Star Perth - Lombok route (sadly no longer). My flights were under $300 return, and it is quicker to fly to Lombok from Perth than it does to Sydney!

I booked the first 2 nights in Senggigi, to unwind and organise a bike.

I ended up with this contraption.

DSCF5033.JPG

The plan was that there was no plan, just to explore and have a poke around.

I headed north along the coast

IMG_1587.JPG

DSCF5074.JPG

Checked out Bangsal harmbour where the boats go to the Gilli's

DSCF5069.JPG

DSCF5071.JPG

Poked around on a few back roads

DSCF5065.JPG

Found some lovely quiet places

DSCF5086.JPG

DSCF5136.JPG

Stayed in this place, which is probably some of the best "back packer" digs around

DSCF5103.JPG

Comfortable enough

IMG_1607.JPG

Complete with strange pussy

IMG_1658.JPG

And a pool

IMG_1660.JPG

Lovely gardens

DSCF5104.JPG

Did some more exploring

DSCF5106.JPG

Came accross these likely lads

DSCF5127.JPG

DSCF5129.JPG

Did the obligatory run up Pusuk Pass (Monkey Forest). It is a great ride, I'd love to do it with nobody else on the road, it is a nice steep twisty road that heads up into the mountains with some spectacular scenery. However, it is pretty busy and you have to ride accordingly. I came accross a pretty nasty accident on the way up between a couple of locals.

DSCF5140.JPG

DSCF5145.JPG

DSCF5153.JPG

Mum, Dad, baby and toddler going for a Sunday cruise

DSCF5149.JPG

Heading back into Pemenang

DSCF5154.JPG

Stopped for some Bensin

DSCF5093.JPG

Then South through Mataram

DSCF5178.JPG

A Lombok Ferrari

DSCF5182.JPG

Stopped at one of the traditional Sasaak weaving villages for a look around.

IMG_1676.JPG

IMG_1688.JPG

IMG_1665.JPG

Then down to Kute. I was pretty amazed at how much it has changed in the south since I was there in 2011, with the new international airport, quite a bit of development has taken place. Unsealed roads I had ridden in 2011 were now sealed, quiet beaches were now lined with stalls and full of westerners. I don't really know how I feel about it, on one hand it is great for the local economy. but on the other hand I really hope it doesn't end up being another Kuta Bali.

I was having a conversation with a local guy there, and he didn't really understand that not all westerners want bars, night clubs and restaurants. Some of us like the more laid back authentic experience. Money talks I suppose.

DSCF5206.JPG

The beaches really are lovely down this way

DSCF5189-PANO.jpg

DSCF5195.JPG

DSCF5193.JPG

A sign of the times?

DSCF5211.JPG

Then it was back on the Kerosene Canary for the 3:20 min flight home.

Was a great trip and has left me thirsty for more NTT.

I'm hoping to get up there next year and spend a bit more time checking out more of the north and east and also Sumbawa. The dilema is the bike issue, I would have done a bit more riding this trip had the bike been a bit more reliable, after a few full days of riding the clutch had all but given up then ghost and the rear brake had shat itself. I'd love to get the KLX up there, but it doesn't seem feasible unless I can take a good couple of months off and come in via Timor, which seems unlikely at this stage.

I met some great people, and travelling solo really afforded me a great opportunity to connect with the locals more than if I were travelling with others.

Great to see your photos Chris. Lombok has some fine riding country for sure. Bringing your own bike over for a couple of months would be very expensive as Toll Perkins have a monopoly on sea transport out of Darwin plus you need a carnet for your bike. You can hire a KLX150 for IDR 100,000 per day in Kute. If you take it for a month or more I'm sure you could get a better deal than that though. A month would get you to eastern Flores (Larantuka) and back comfortably. Depending on ferry schedules you could probably make it all the way to Kupang and back but it would be very rushed. Not recommended. A 60 day visa would be ideal. You could explore all the islands between Lombok and Timor in that time.

Thanks Merantau. I honestly didn't think about heading to Kute to find a bike. I didn't realise it had grown so much, so headed to Senggigi as I knew it was a sure fire bet and could get something other than a scooter.

yes I agree it would be impractical to take my own bike up there for a shortish trip, but it sure would be nice, I am a big bugger and I have my KLX set up really well for me. The other issue was the lack of maintenance on the bike I hired, it was a bit of a death trap really.

Great thread Chrismb, looks like a fantastic trip.

Is there any places that would rent out a KLX in Bali and let you take it across to Lombok?

Thanks merantau, was thinking of getting a bike in Bali, riding around there then taking it across. Might be easier just to do it on separate bikes you reckon?

Also, any experience with the Suzuki Thunder 125?

Not familiar with Suzuki. If you hire a bike in Bali make sure you get the STNK for it and you need your licence and an IDP as the cops at the Padangbai ferry always check - unless you take a ferry in the middle of the night, I've heard. As for bikes you should be able to hire a KLX in Bali now. I haven't been there since 2010. Don't discount the Honda Vario matic. Comfortable seat, you can stow a pack on the footplate, very economical, speedy, can take a lot of punishment, light so you can manhandle it and they have a 125cc model now.

Last edited:
Great thread Chrismb, looks like a fantastic trip.

Is there any places that would rent out a KLX in Bali and let you take it across to Lombok?

Cheers mate, I haven't hired bikes before in Bali, have always just passed through on the way to Lombok.

I'd be inclined to do as merantau has suggested and grab one in Lombok.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
merantau Indonesia Ride Reports 5
Back
Top Bottom