A look back in time..

Hassman

Bikes
Suzuki DRZ 400SM Matchless G3WO -41
Ladies and gents, the below is the start of a look into the history of various motorbike brands, perhaps interesting for some people and not for others, read it if you so wish.
It is a work in progress and if anyone else has information to add to it I would appreciate it.
As I am Swedish I start with old Swedish motorbike brands:

I have found a total of 132 different Swedish bike names but information about many of these brands is not easy to come by.

Sadly today no “real” Swedish motorbike brands exist, Husqvarna is owned by BMW and Husaberg is owned by KTM, the past however was (as the past normally was) glorious, I shall here endeavor to lay emphasis on the rich heritage of Swedish bike brands.
Mentioned above is already Husqvarna and Husaberg; let’s deal with Husaberg first as it is a very short chapter in the history.

HUSABERG
Husaberg was born the bastard child of Husqvarna in 1987 as Electrolux Group (owner of the Husqvarna brand and manufacturer of vacuum cleaners and washing machines) sold off the motorcycle division to Cagiva, Some of the management and engineers decided that Sweden indeed needed a motorbike brand and officially started Husaberg in 1988, but already in 1995 it was sold to KTM. KTM’s slogan “ready to race” was in fact stolen from Husaberg and Husaberg got a new slogan: “4 stroke force”. This new slogan is quite pathetic in my opinion, and for an opinion of KTM’s use of the “ready to race” slogan go ahead and ask BignTall.
Husaberg produced only super motards, enduros and motocross bikes, there are people better suited than myself to delve into the various models of these, this is not my forte.

HUSQVARNA
Husqvarna was started in 1689 in a town named Husqvarna –Husqvarna means “House with mill” as in grain mill or similar. It was started as a gun manufacturer owned by a branch of the Swedish military, in 1757 the company was privatized and in 1867 it became a limited company under the name Husqvarna Vapenfabrik Aktiebolag (In English; Husqvarna Weapons Manufacture Limited)
After 1871 when military orders started to taper off the company developed and made other products such as sewing machines, bicycles and stoves, in 1903 they produced their first motorbike.
Already in 1920 they opened up their own engine manufacture (what engines they used before this time I do not know), their first engine was a 550 cc four stroke V twin.

HusqvarnaSilverpilen282-61.jpg

Up until the second world war they competed on the Isle of Man, what engines and types of bikes they used I do not know, I also do not know why they did not continue to race after the second world war had ended.
For some reason they steered away from large four strokes and instead built smaller 2 strokes, here an image of a 1951 118 cc two stroke –my father has one of these even though his is awaiting restoration. (which knowing my dad will never happen)

Husqvarna_Moto-Reve_191X.jpg

img_0024_507x380.jpg

Note the back to front kick start

hvafrontwheel_507x380.jpg

Note the rubber band front end suspension with no damping, of course no rear end suspension on a bike made in that era.

I remember as a kid push starting my dads bike (I was not big enough to be able to kick start it) and going down the dirt roads to pick up the mail –we lived on a farm 1 kilometer away from our mail box.
I never got used to the gears and clutch –it had the gears on the right foot and hence the rear brake on the left, it also had a gear shifter handle bolted on the right side of the tank. With no idle and not being able to operate the foot gear shifter it made for interesting crashes into bushes and fields.

Two models well known in Sweden are Silverpilen (the silver arrow) and Guldpilen (the golden arrow)

Husqvarna51.jpg

Above Silverpilen

1269479903_resized.jpg

Guldpilen was known as a dangerous bike as it was so powerful (with the standards of the day) and according to my dad the sales of it were stopped as a result and the mellower Silverpilen was sold instead.

In the 60’s Husqvarna more or less stopped making road bikes and instead concentrated on making dirt bikes and they were very successful in doing this; during the 60’s and 70’s their 125’s, 250’s and 500cc bikes won 14 motocross world championships, 24 endoru championships and 11 Baja 1000 victories, this is the heritage they lean back on today.

As mentioned above the motorbike division was sold to Italy in 1987, it stayed with Cagiva for 20 years until 2007 when BMW bought it, at about the same time BMW started to market their own dirtbikes.

GRIPEN
I do not have much information about Gripen but my uncle owns one, it is very similar to the Husqvarna above but it has a girder front end, I assume that it uses a Husqvarna engine and that it more or less was a “badge engineered” vehicle, some information hints to it using a 98 cc NSU engine. Allegedly they were around from 1938 until 1953, my uncles bike is from around 1950 to -53.

Gripen.jpg

A very early Gripen

Gripen2.jpg

A Gripen identical to my uncles’ bike

MONARK (ALBIN-MONARK)
Monarch manufactured mopeds and scooters, my brother had one model named “Monarscoot” –designed by Swedish designer Sixten Sason who also developed the first SAAB cars as well as a 3 wheel car for Husqvarna in the mid 40’s –the 3 wheel car never reached production and the sample was scrapped.
monarscoot_ny1_opt.jpg

When I was old enough to get a moped I got myself a Puch Dakota as my brothers moped looked like a girlie bike… (I hope he does not read this..)

They started off in 1908 making bicycles and mopeds, in the 50’s they were very successful in trials and motocross competitions with a world championship in 1959.
Below a 1974 Monark Motocross bike
Monark1974.jpg

In 1961 they merged with a Swedish bicycle manufacturer and the company is still active today making bicycles (Crescent brand), electrically assisted bicycles and –I think- stationary exercise bikes.

REX –Not to be confused with British Rex-Acme or German Rex MW
This was a manufacturer that was around from 1908 until 1957, some information suggests that they had one model made in house and other models were either copies of NSU or re-branded NSU bikes, below an image of the model that allegedly was their own, more a sturdy bicycle with a “strap on” motor than a true motorbike.
Rex.jpg

HIGHLAND
This company was started in Sweden about 10 years ago but was sold to an American company in 2010, on their website http://www.highland.se they have a line up of their bike models –both dirt/motard and street bikes are built by them.

As mentioned above I have found 132 different brands and I have only covered 6, I assume that the other brands have been rather short lived and that not much information can be found about them.
As time permits I shall continue this thread with as much information I can find about old “dead” motorbike brands from various places in the world, please feel free to add whatever information you may have.
Hassman

I have found 4 different Danish bike brands; Disa, Ellehammer, Hamlet and Nimbus.

DISA
Disa bikes were produced from 1948 until about 1955, in addition to a model using a 98cc Villiers engine, the factory also made their own 125 and 150cc engines designed and engineered by a guy that was also involved in DKW and MZ engineering.

I have not been able to find any more information nor images of a DISA bike, there is a company today called DISA that manufactures dust extraction equipment for the wood industry, if this is the same company I do not know.

ELLEHAMMER (or ELLHAM)
This company seems to have started developing motorbikes in 1902 (possibly not manufacturing them until 1904). The first bikes used Peugeot engines but these were replaced with Swiss Zedell engines, in 1907 an in house engine was developed and built, in total over 1’000 machines were built, the company closed (according to some sources anyway) 1909 when Mr. Ellehammer got involved in engineering work for other companies.

Ellehammer_skagen12.jpg

A surviving Ellehammer being ridden 100 years after its manufacture, what is quite funny with this picture is how similar in lay out this bike is to today’s “twist and go” scooters (Honda Click and the likes) that we use today.

HAMLET
Hamlet started production of motorbikes in 1904 by strapping an engine onto a strengthened bicycle frame, engines used were Fafnir, Moto Reve and Motosacoche brands, not many bikes like these were built as the company was being merged/taken over by another company and started building three wheeled goods vehicles and simple mopeds.
In 1939 however they developed a new motorcycle fitted with a 98cc Sachs engine, production of this bike continued until 1943 when it was no longer possible to get the German produced Sachs engines.

NIMBUS
The company was owned by what is today Nilfisk – a company making vacuum cleaners and other household appliances, in 1918 the company started developing bikes and they were being sold from 1919 until 1960.
The first model had an inline 4 cylinder engine of 750cc, it was fitted with both front and rear suspension which was very advanced for its time, it was sold from 1919 until 1926 with about 1’300 bikes having been built, the bike was a bit too expensive and added to this in its last two years was a high sales tax, this made the bike too expensive for the public.
The second bike (Type C) was not ready for market until 1934, this was the first bike in the world to have telescopic forks.

55nimbus.jpg

As can be seen on the image the frame was steel straps that were riveted together

This bike was sold in over 12’000 units, many to the Danish government that used it for postal service (up until 1972), the police and the armed forces.
After the war the company made various prototypes for renewed models but none of them were ever produced and sold, the final delivery was in 1960 and after that no more bikes were produced.
About 8’000 of these bikes are estimated to still be around, many in Denmark but quite a few also in America.

Nimbussport.jpg

The Sport model featuring 22 hp engine instead of the standard 18 hp.

For Norway I have only found one brand; TEMPO

Tempo was a brand owned by a company called Oegland, Oegland had various factories and interests such as a cloth factory, a bicycle importer and reseller and bicycle manufacture –today’s brand DBS can be traced back to Oegland.

Tempo never had their own engines but instead used engines such as Sachs, ILO, CZ, Villiers and Minarelli, these engines were used in what is believed to be more than 100 different bike models in range from 49cc to 175cc spanning from 1938 until 1994.

Tempowithsachsengine.jpg

Military spec’ with 175 cc Sachs engine.

Tempo_175_Sachs.jpg

Civilian version of the same.

Tempob.jpg

Early three wheeled Tempo for deliveries, note the girder front suspension.

In the later years Japanese imports were proving to be too much competition and the company was forced to stop its manufacture and concentrate on bicycle manufacture (DBS) and sales.

For a country with only about 4 million inhabitants Finland had quite a few manufacturers –then again Sweden with 9 million inhabitants had over 130 brands so perhaps no need to get excited..

HELKAMA was founded in 1905, they made bicycles and small motorcycles and mopeds until the 1990’s, as far as I can tell they used Minarelli engines and never had their own engine production.

HelkamaRaisu.jpg

Helkama Raisu –a very popular bike in Finland during the 70’s and 80’s.

helkama_mini_gt67_001.jpg

The Mini GT from -67.

TUNTURI
This company dates back to 1922, the company was originally building bicycles but branched out to build small mopeds, I am not able ot find much information about the company despite the fact that it still exists today and manufactures exercise equipment, I think that the last moped was built around mid 90’s using a 50cc Puch engine.

400px-Tunturi82.jpg

Tunturi Super Sport with Puch engine.

I have also stumbled upon the names Pyrkijä, Solifer, Vasama and Winha but I have been unable to find any information at all about these brands.

I am aware that both the Tempo bikes and the Finnish brands above are not motorbikes but mopeds and as such unworthy of our awe and respect.. I did not know what I would find out though and after getting the info I reckoned I could just as well post it.

If all goes well (time permitting and internet holding up) I will continue my quest and post more pointless information here, stay tuned...

Great stuff. I went to the Husqvarna museum in Jonkoping near Lake Vattern, Sweden in 2005. It was one of the highlights of my trip! Thanks for posting :DD

KMA; great to hear that you went to the museum, a good reminder for myself to go there next summer if I go visit my family.

British bike makes
There are literally hundreds of British bike makes, I will however start with the AMC group as this company in its various forms gathered most large British bike brands under its umbrella at some point or another during its lifespan.

The AMC group can trace its roots to 1899 when bicycle manufacturer Collier & Sons started the Matchless brand, in 1931 the company bought AJS and in 1937 Sunbeam was added to the stable and the company name was officially changed from Matchless to Amalgamated Motor Cycles Ltd, in 1938 it was changed again to Associated Motor Cycles keeping the abbreviation AMC.

1943 the Sunbeam brand was sold to BSA and in 1947 AMC bought Francis-Barnett and in 1949 the brand James was acquisitioned, 1952 or -53 saw Norton added to the company.
During the 60’s the company profits declined and they were forced to concentrate on the Matchless and Norton brands, in 1966 the company became insolvent and it was taken over by Manganese Bronze holdings –already the owner of BSA and Triumph, and the company group name was changed to Norton-Villiers.
In 1974 it was time again for the company group to bankrupt, it was bailed out by the British government and the company name was changed to Norton-Villiers-Triumph, later in the year however the company was finally closed.

AMC group brands:
AJS
BSA
Francis-Barnett
James
Matchless
New Hudson/Hudson
Norton/Norton-Villiers
Sunbeam
Triumph

AJS
The original company was formed in 1856 as Stevens Screw Company, in 1897 two of the founders’ sons had designed and built an engine based on an American Mitchel engine, the new engine was a vast improvement on the Mitchel design and two years later in 1899 the Stevens Motor Manufacturing Company was established.
The company was incorporated in 1909 and the name was changed to AJS after the initials of one of the sons that built the first engine.
Originally the company built engines and sold to other motorbike builders (even though they may have built and competed with their own bike in 1909) but in 1911 or 1912 they started to build and sell their own brand motorbikes.
The company was incorporated in 1909 and the name was changed to AJS after the initials of one of the sons that built the first engine.
In 1916 during the first world war motorcycle production was stopped and the company produced munitions instead, 1917 however the Russians needed motorbikes and they re-started production.
In 1920 the original side valve engine design was replaced by an overhead valve design with pushrods and in 1927 this in turn was replaced by chain driven overhead cam engines as are still used on bikes today (with the exception of HD and other tractors of course).

AJS_192X_2.jpg

1920’s model

AJSmodelD1915engineshot.jpg

Close up of an early V twin engine

In 1930 the company had amassed a total of 117 racing records, among them positioning their bikes in the first, second, third, fourth and sixth in the 1914 Junior Isle of Man, who came fifth I do not know…

Despite (or perhaps because of) the company’s many racing titles, the company was suffering economically and they were absorbed by the AMC group in 1931.

AJS_500_cc_OHC_Racer_1931.jpg

1931 500cc overhead cam AJS –the year it was taken over by the AMC group.

After the AMC take over a lot of “badge engineering” went on (especially sharing components with the Matchless brand) and the originally proud brand lost some of its glamour, however AMC did keep the AJS race heritage rather intact by branding many of their racing bikes and special projects as AJS.

Today the AJS brand is an importer of Chinese made 124 to 300cc bikes and accessories.

Hudson Bicycles was founded in 1890 as a bicycle manufacturer and in 1903 changed name to New Hudson, their first bikes were sold the year before in 1902, the model was not successful and was cancelled. 1910 they tried again and until 1916 they released many models originally using JAP engines but during the years replacing them with their own three or four engine models. It appears that they were forced to halt production in 1916 and then they did not start up again until 1919.

NewHudson191X.jpg

1910 year model

NewHudson35HP500cc1914.jpg

1914 year 500cc 3.5hp

In 1927 New Hudson broke the 100 miles per hour record with a 500cc bike.
In 1929 (or possibly 1930) they registered a brand called IXON, this brand was used to sell of slow moving stock cheaply without tarnishing the New Hudson brand and also to produce and sell engines to other bike manufacturers such as Swedish Rex.

In 1932 or -33 they stopped manufacture of motorbikes to concentrate on manufacture of Girling brakes, a patent they had purchased from the inventor in 1929. They changed the name of the company to Girling and the New Hudson brand name was sold to BSA.

NewHudson1929.jpg

1929 New Hudson

Girlingbrakead.jpg

Advertisement of Girling brakes from 1941

In 1943 the Girling company was absorbed by Lucas (known as “the inventor of the sudden and unexplainable darkness” to those of us who have owned vehicles fitted with Lucas electrics)

In 1940 until 1958 BSA manufactured and sold New Hudson branded “autocycles” (light motorcycles) with Villiers 98 cc engines.

NewHudson1956.jpg

1956 New Hudson Autocycle

At the end of production in 1958 approximately 24’000 New Hudson branded bikes had been produced since the start in 1903.

The "Holy Grail, a pre-1915 Blackhawk or Hornecker Torpedo motorcycle".... from the internet.

I read Dr. Greg Frazier's book about a guy who motorcycled around the world before WWI--the book is very good--and what impressed me was the bike had a very long wheelbase, looked like a bicycle, had 15 or so horsepower, and one gear but an incredible torque band. He went up and down mountains with it and around the world in countries that barely had roads. So it's not just raw horsepower that counts, but the skill of the driver.

Simson

This Eastern Germany brand was formed by the Simson brothers in 1845, 1907 the company made a racing car called the Simson Supra, other cars were also produced during this time.

Simson_Supra_Typ_SO.jpg

Simson Supra 1925

With the rise of the Nazis the Simson brothers who were Jewish were forced to leave Germany and the company went into a merger with other companies –mainly weapons and munitions companies.

The first motorbike was built in 1936, this was a 98 cc bike, not much information is available about this and other bikes built until 1946 as the company changed names more than 3 times in this 10 year period, this makes it hard to research it online (I guess if I could read and understand German it would be easier).

Simpson_Suhl_Tank_Badge.jpg

In 1946 or 48 under Eastern German control the manufacture started of the AWO425 –a 250cc single cylinder 4 stroke very similar to BMW’s R26 model, 300’000 bikes of this type with very minor modifications were built up until 1960 when the government decided that all motorbikes and cars built in Eastern Germany should be 2 stroke.

SimsonAWO425T.jpg

Simsonawo_425t1952.jpg

AWO425 1952

Several 2 stroke mopeds and light motorbikes were built in the 60’s and up until the company’s demise in 2003.
In addition to the many mopeds they made they produced several very successful racing bikes –mainly enduro and motocross bikes, among them an 80cc model with rotary valves and an output of 29 horsepower, also road racing engines such as 50 and 70cc 6 and 8 speed machines.

Rikou
The Rikuo was first built in Japan in 1932 by Sankyo Nainenki (later Rikuo Nainenki) under license from the Harley-Davidson Motor Company. Military versions were built for the Japanese army during WWII, and when production resumed following the war, the motorcycle was limited largely to police and courier use.

While the original design was 750cc, the engine was later enlarged to 1,000cc and 1,200cc. The RT2, featuring telescoping front forks was the last 750cc version built.

The Rikuo was the result of a deal structured in 1932 by Alfred Rich Child. As Harley-Davidson's exclusive business agent in the Orient, Child saw sales declining with the approach of war and he struck the best deal he could to salvage some income from the declining market.

At home, Harley-Davidson was in the throes of the Great Depression, and it badly needed the relatively small amount of revenue derived from licensing production of the Rikuo. Child could not have guessed that Rikuo would exploit Harley-Davidson's design for nearly 30 years!

Rikou.jpg

All text and image courtesy of my mate Jesse in Japan

Good read.
Yes Nimbus has a bit of a cult following in Denmark.
A few friends of mine when growing up, bought and restored old Nimbus bikes and loved them.

Lightemup,

Any idea how much a Nimbus in need of love and care would sell for in Denmark??

Cheers,
Hassman

Hope you dont mind me adding to your thread, but Somehow you neglected to mention the Panther
panther_100.jpg

I was hitchhiking once and got a lift on a Panther 600 single.. It had and armchair in place of a sidecar and an ashtray nailed to the arm. It almost got where I was going before overheating

I also had a lift on one of these once, a Vincent Black Shadow
vincent_black-shadow_series-c.jpeg

One mate had a Velocette Venom,
velocette_venom_clubman.jpg

another took me through amsterdam to the seaside on his Commando
Norton.jpg

My brother had a Sunbeam S8
11Sunbeam+S8+Classic+-1950-.jpg
The only british bike I ever owned was a BSA C15
What i really wanted was a Bonnie, but I never had the money for one
t120_4.jpg

Alex, I don't mind at all!! My excuse is that I have not missed them, I have just not gotten to them yet....

I will actually look at some Velocette Venoms in Burma in a few weeks time when I pick up my Matchless.
Fancy one?? it is not a Bonneville but it is still a nice bike!

Hassman said:
Lightemup,

Any idea how much a Nimbus in need of love and care would sell for in Denmark??

Cheers,
Hassman

No idea on a "wreck", but restored once sell currently for anywhere between 40.000 DKR to 100.000 DKR

42.500 DKR
http://www.dba.dk/750-ccm-62-15000-km-blaa/id-72627733/

45.000 DKR
http://www.dba.dk/nimbus-saelges/id-77847768/

98.000 DKR
http://www.dba.dk/nimbus-850-ccm-34-100 ... -78854881/

They are collectors items, I mind you.

I would guess a bike that needs restoration might run in the 15.000-30.000 range, but wasn't able to find any with a quick search.

Hmm... that is ok.... maybe if I run into one I will get one... I quite prefer the British bikes though.. more of legends than the Nimbus is...

Good thread.
Will add a pic of me and my favourite bike 1980 RM 400T and my second T120 `77 model,my first a `76 Bonnie got stolen.

Copy2ofRM400andT120.jpg

Loop; I bet you wish you still have them two bikes sitting in your garage... thanks for sharing!

My friend john in Uk has 2 for sale they are brockhouse /corgis made for british army during the war and also for civilians until 1948
monsterman

Jerry - any idea what they are offered for?

Hassman, I am interested to hear more on the Velo's from Burma!

In 1943 the Girling company was absorbed by Lucas (known as “the inventor of the sudden and unexplainable darkness” to those of us who have owned vehicles fitted with Lucas electrics).
We used to refer to Lucas as "Joe Lucas: The Prince of Darkness" :D

Back
Top Bottom