A Cold Weekends Riding In The UK

Captain_Slash

Community Manager
Bikes
BMW 310GS Honda Wave 125 Honda MSX 125
Believe it or not the last time I went out for a fun ride was on 27th march in the lovely warmth of Chiang Mai, its done nothing but rain with cold wind added since I returned home on 29th march.
The Harley has only been out twice before this year to get its MOT, however something has gone wrong with the weather and we have had four consecutive days of no rain, its still cold and well below average temperature but at least its riding weather.
Below are a selection of photos taken over the weekend on two separate rides
DSCF6697.jpg

DSCF6698.jpg

Fields of rape are everywhere around where I live and like to ride
DSCF6699.jpg

A tunnel under the Watercress railway line, its a steam train that runs from Alton to Alresford in Hampshire.
Whilst I have not seen the train actually running, a few years ago our building site was within earshot of it and a thunderous noise could be heard whenever a steam train went past plus a large cloud of steam could be observed climbing into the air through the woods
DSCF6700.jpg

The Sportster actually out for a fun ride on a dry road
DSCF6701.jpg

DSCF6702.jpg

What I found surprising was the rivers and streams were not all flooded across the fields
DSCF6703.jpg

DSCF6705.jpg

DSCF6706.jpg

DSCF6708.jpg

The Salisbury to Southampton line is still diesel out here in the wilds
DSCF6709.jpg

The Harley dealer in Southampton where my Harley riding experience began six years ago in april 2006
DSCF6710.jpg

Nothing new in here I fancy, they dont appear to have an XR1200 which is the only other one I could happily ride
DSCF6711.jpg

Riding back along some country lanes and these cyclists appear to be enjoying themselves and oblivious to the cold, whereas I am wrapped up with six layers on top including thermals and still noticing the chill
DSCF6712.jpg

On the outskirts of Winchester and lovely countryside
DSCF6713.jpg

Overlooking the city of Winchester
DSCF6714.jpg

DSCF6715.jpg

DSCF6716.jpg

An army firing range here and best not to go walking when that red flag is flying
DSCF6717.jpg

DSCF6718.jpg

Saturday afternoon and I call in at one of our wednesday night meeting points, as its rained every wednesday evening since I got home I guess the cafe must be glad to actually see some bikes here as their trade will be down so far this year
DSCF6719.jpg

DSCF6720.jpg

Now to ride home along the lovely twisty 272 which is one of the favourite biking roads around here
DSCF6722.jpg

DSCF6726.jpg

Now a few from sundays ride
DSCF6727.jpg

DSCF6728.jpg

This bus shelter is nicely hidden in the hedge and unless you know its there you pass it without spotting it
DSCF6729.jpg

DSCF6732.jpg

A scenic little short cut along some narrow side roads that bypasses Salisbury
DSCF6733.jpg

DSCF6749.jpg

The cafe is full this sunday afternoon
DSCF6734.jpg

DSCF6735.jpg

DSCF6736.jpg

A few old bikes out today
DSCF6737.jpg

DSCF6738.jpg

To all those who say the new Bonnies shouldnt have mag wheels take a look at this 1980 bike that had them back then, much better in my opinion
DSCF6739.jpg

DSCF6740.jpg

The helmet just doesnt go with the bike
DSCF6741.jpg

DSCF6742.jpg

DSCF6743.jpg

DSCF6744.jpg

DSCF6745.jpg

DSCF6746.jpg

I like the exhausts.
Well it was nice to actually get out in the dry even if it was cold.
To all of you who sometimes complain about Thailands oppressive heat, you dont know how lucky you are not having to put up with the crap weather we have over here in the UK

There is something about the English county side when the sun is out that can not be beaten anywhere else in the world.

Whats the first white Triumph? My old man had a Tiger 90 that looked very similar to that white one.

The Velocette reminds me of walking to school, just up the road from our house was a Velocette dealer who always had them in the window along with a couple of Suzuki Rg250's which we use to drool over.

Gareth I am afraid I have no idea what model the white Triumph is.

Yes it is nice when the sun is out and the temperature is hot but that combination hasnt happened yet this year, today its raining again and I am sitting indoors feeling the cold as theres no sun shining through the windows warming the house up.

You went to school a few years ago by the sound of it

Those rape fields are simply amazing. I am missing that crisp air about now as well.
Hope all is well.
Thanks for the post. We have been missing the adventures.

The rape fields are lovely JB, although the crisp air is a bit too crisp.

All is well thanks

I have been missing the daily rides for pleasure too much for my liking, I can see next holiday lasting longer than the one just finished

Very nice collection of bikes and beautiful scenery there Captain.

Looks like you may be sharing our roads with quite a few CRF250Ls when you return!

2wheels said:
Very nice collection of bikes and beautiful scenery there Captain.

Looks like you may be sharing our roads with quite a few CRF250Ls when you return!

Yes Ron the CRF looks like being the sales success it was expected to be, perhaps the long wait to get a Kawasaki serviced might subside a bit now and might be what puts a few prospective Kawasaki owners off

What a gorgeous collection of bikes Colin, the sounds from all those very different machines must be great! - You could spend hours just walking around looking at them all.

Yes Phil quite often there is a good collection of rarities out here wednesday evenings and at weekends

Back
Top Bottom