2014 KTM 250R Freeride

2wheels

Community Manager
Bikes
ROYAL ENFIELD CLASSIC
2014 KTM Freeride 250R - Two-Stroke Power in a 204-Pound Package » Motorcycle.com News

082713-2014-ktm-freeride-250-r-06-633x348.jpg

(Motorcycle.com)

"The revised engine now weights about 4.4 pounds lighter than the original EXC powerplant despite the addition of an electric starter."

I like where they've re-located the expansion chamber to - I dont think I could buckle that one as easy!

Fuel tank looks like it has been shifted back quite a bit making it alot easier to do back-flips and put you on your ass (like it wasn't easy enough before)

From Jayem on a different thread, very relevant so i'll copy it over

Total noob here, but thanks to Phil for welcoming me to RC and RA.net and pointing me in the right direction (to Ally's page with instructions) on how to insert images in a thread. So before attempting to write and post my first RR (about a very wet trip across Laos and into Vietnam), let's see if I manage to insert some photos in my very first post on RA.net.

For the few 2-T fans and enduro/trail riders on this forum who might appreciate the 'less is more' approach to bike design, as in 'less weight = more fun' (and certainly 'less fatigue' when riding technical trails), I thought KTM's newest addition to their Freerider range might be of interest.

The newly issued 2014 KTM Freeride 250 R (2-T) will never make it into next year's shoot-out since it's a 250cc and a trail bike, as it doesn't belong in the enduro league, but in terms of weight, its puny 92.5 kg (without gas) makes the hard core enduro two-strokes look rather porky...

This new addition to KTM's Freeride range might very well be right up the alley of what a lot of the more leisure-riding trail-exploring dirtriders are looking for.

Of course, super-fit bad-ass hardcore enduro riders like Bigntall, MastaMax, LUFC, JohnnySneds, KTMPhil, UKAlex, TheBigFella etc., may skip to the next thread, as the HP output of a Freeride 250 2-T will certainly be below their expectations and requirements.

What do you guys think?

20777d1377835584-2013-300-2-stroke-shootout-ktm-freeride-250r-2014-1-620x350.jpg

20779d1377835725-2013-300-2-stroke-shootout-082713-2014-ktm-freeride-250-r-05.jpg

20778d1377835681-2013-300-2-stroke-shootout-ktm-freeride-250r-2014-4-620x350.jpg

20780d1377835761-2013-300-2-stroke-shootout-082713-2014-ktm-freeride-250-r-11.jpg

The official KTM site's info page:

KTM Freeride 250 R 2014 - Highlights

KTM Freeride 250 R 2014

THE LIVELY ONE

Design 1-cylinder 2-stroke engine, water-cooled, with reed intake and exhaust control
Displacement 249 cm³
Starting aid Electric starter
Weight without fuel approx. 92.5 kg

The decision to add, of all things, a completely new two-stroke model to the brand new Freeride segment may seem strange – but only at first glance. And mostly to those who have not yet had the chance to enjoy the punch of a burly two-stroke within a light and agile off-road chassis. However, those who have had that pleasure know: Such an engine epitomises the kind of response you want from a FREERIDE, because after all, the hot, burning gases hit the piston twice as often. This means that even KTM's two-stroke enduros, designed for maximum power, churn out gut-wrenching torque from the low rev range in an absolutely glorious manner. And as the FREERIDE 250 R's engine, true to the Freeriding ideal, is designed not for maximum power, but for a pleasant torque response and optimum rideability, this is where the concept of enjoyable off-roading comes to full fruition.

Here's Motorcycle.com's article :

2014 KTM Freeride 250R - Two-Stroke Power in a 204-Pound Package » Motorcycle.com News

I like where they've re-located the expansion chamber to - I dont think I could buckle that one as easy!

Fuel tank looks like it has been shifted back quite a bit making it alot easier to do back-flips and put you on your ass (like it wasn't easy enough before)

You might be on to something there, Johnny...:LOL

maxresdefault.jpg

Indeed, the neatly tucked-away expansion chamber was the first feature that struck me also when looking at the photos of this new model. To achieve this the designers came up with a rather long header pipe similar to those on 2T trial bikes, which is unusual when compared to MX or Enduro 2T's where the header starts to flare out in front of the cylinder, like seen on the 2013 EXC 250 whose engine was the basis for the Freeride 250 R.

.64576_KTM_250_EXC_2013.jpg64573_KTM_250_EXC_2013.jpg

It`s kinda half way between an Enduro and Trials bike.

Powered up Trials or detuned Enduro?

A good choice for anyone that likes the tight technical riding around here....especially in 2T form.

The last Singapore group that came through were raving about the tricker bikes & were surprised not to see any in Chiang Mai

2006%5C07%5C05%5Cbikepics-626344-320.jpg

The last Singapore group that came through were raving about the tricker bikes & were surprised not to see any in Chiang Mai

2006%5C07%5C05%5Cbikepics-626344-320.jpg

They have these in phenom penh.. I kept meaning to rent one as it looks like a great fun city bike.. Like a bmx with an engine..

Do a google image search (i am in an ipad so cant be bothered to embed) for the tricker concept they never released, looks so fun..

TBM's article highlights the Freeride 250R's engine modifications

TBM's article confirms my answer to your question, KTMphil, as the EXC250's cylinder has indeed been ported differently in order to make it more torquey at low revs.

Worth noting is the fact that in addition to different porting, the carb's diameter has been reduced to 28mm and more importantly, the cylinder is not fitted with the traditional powervalve. The lack thereof brings back the very low engine maintenance (read: 'zero maintenance' apart from the occasional spark plug cleaning or the reed valve replacement) for which 'old school' 2-T trail bikes were known for.

This brings me to a question, how often do you (and other 2-T riding RA-members) have to clean the powervalve on your 300 EXC? In this respect, do you use synthetic 2-T oil?

Sadly enough, in their search for lowering the Freeride 250R's weight, the designers dropped the kickstart mechanism, which is definitely a disadvantage in this part of the world where the need to simply clear water out of the cylinder after the occasional submersion during river crossings are an unavoidable part of the game. This is really unfortunate, as 2-T engines have a leg-up over 4-T's in this respect, as the latter's engine oil usually turns into 'milk' when submerged.

On the plus side, the new model's very low weight, higher ground clearance and much lower fuel consumption make it an attractive addition to KTM's already very impressive line-up.

http://www.trailbikemag.com/2013/08/ktm-launch-250r-freeride/

KTM launch 250R Freeride!

posted August 27, 2013 /
Freeride lovers have just had their prayers answered by KTM with the launch of a lighter, more agile, Freeride model powered by a highly responsive 250cc two-stroke engine.

The all new Freeride 250R uses a variant of KTM’s 250EXC enduro engine but minus the powervalve and with different porting and a smaller 28mm carb to maximise torque.

Dispensing with the EXC’s kickstart mechanism has shaved more than a kilo off the motor’s mass, and contributes to the new Freeride’s weight of just 92.5kg fuelled (7 kilos lighter than the 350), despite the addition of a larger 7L fuel tank.

With an upswept (trials-style) exhaust in place of the 350’s underslung pipes, the 250R has 55mm more ground clearance (at 380mm), a larger air-filter and changes to the internal gear ratios have given the Freeride lower bottom gears and a taller top (sixth).

The new bike is being aimed at those riders who want a more extreme type of ride rather than a go-anywhere trail bike. Interestingly the engine runs a very lean (trials-style) premix ratio of 80:1 and has a far lower fuel consumption than a regular 250EXC.

Suspension-wise the 250R uses the same units as the 350 but with different valving to provide a slightly firmer ride. Improvements to the brakes, handlebars and a new set of adjustable footpegs are universal to both 250 and 350 models.

With a retail price set at just £5999 and availability from mid September we are expecting high demand for the new model. A full launch test will appear in September’s TBM, available in digital format on 1 September, and a few days after for the print version…

​

This brings me to a question, how often do you (and other 2-T riding RA-members) have to clean the powervalve on your 300 EXC? In this respect, do you use synthetic 2-T oil?

I use Mobil Semi Synthetic (120 baht/L at Esso garages) in my old KDX 220 and at last inspection the power valve and exhaust port were clean as a whistle after around 2,700k`s.

It runs a 30ml D slide carb and is quite torquey down low...even a big handful in too high a gear it will always pull and never bog.

The ZX 150 i use to have,using the same oil,use to clog up about every 1,500k`s and needed cleaning.

I use Mobil Semi Synthetic (120 baht/L at Esso garages) in my old KDX 220 and at last inspection the power valve and exhaust port were clean as a whistle after around 2,700k`s.

It runs a 30ml D slide carb and is quite torquey down low...even a big handful in too high a gear it will always pull and never bog.

The ZX 150 i use to have,using the same oil,use to clog up about every 1,500k`s and needed cleaning.

Thanks for the feedback, Loop. Surprising that the KDX's exhaust port and power valve remains clean while the same 2-T oil clogged up the ZX150. Probably both engine temperatures were different most of their running time, with the KDX running hotter on the trails. Perhaps you used the ZX150 as your run-around-the-city 2-wheeler, riding most of the time at low revs, and hence not burning off the carbon crust. The KDX was probably one of the best trail/enduro bikes of its time. One of my brothers had several, and afterwards regretted selling the last one when he switched to CR250's

Anyone else wants to share their experience on the exhaust port and power valve clogging/cleaning issue?

More specs revealed in the MX Action Magazine:

KTM DOES IT AGAIN: ALL-NEW 2014 KTM 250R TWO-STROKE TRAIL BIKE

The KTM 250R Freeride confounds the two-stroke critics with a path last traveled in 1973 – the return of the trail bike

250rfreeride1.jpg

Even though the KTM Freeride trail bike models are not available in the USA, KTM’s decision to add a completely new two-stroke model to their lineup takes us back to the days of purpose-built trail bikes—which petered out as motocross machinery got more sophisticated.
250REngine_2013_2953.jpg

Powered by a detuned 250 EXC two-stroke engine that is four pounds lighter than the EXC version (even though it has an electric starter), the 250R engine is tuned for torque instead of peak horsepower. The Freeride 250R's engine has brand-new cylinder porting without the EXC’s power valve. The exhaust pipe looks more like a trials bike pipe instead of the motocross pipe. There is also a resonance chamber that makes the KTM 250R street legal in some municipalities. The engine's heat is dissipated by a single-piece radiator integrated deeply behind the frame spars for protection. A fan with a newly developed thermostat ensures stable operating temperatures even at the slowest pace in the most difficult terrain.

250rclutch_2598.jpg

The clutch is a new, undamped, coil spring design with a steel clutch basket and primary gear. The clutch springs are softer than on the EXC engine. The hydraulic clutch is powered by a Formula reservoir.

250rfreeridaction.jpg

The brakes are also from Formula with a four-piston radial caliper on the front and a two-piston rear. The front rotor is 260 mm. The rims are from Giant and the tires are a 2.75-21 front and a 4.00-18 rear. They are special Maxxis tires that would have been called "trials universal" in the good old days of trail bikes.

250rfreerideforks1.jpg

The suspension uses WP forks and shock, but the forks are 43mm instead of 48mm units on the EXC. The no-link shock is a re-tuned WP with a progressive spring. The shock has separate low- and high-speed compression damping. The seat height is 915mm, but KTM offers a lowering kit the reduces the height by 25mm.

250rktm-freeride6.jpg

The 250R frame is a composite design of stainless steel sections, bolt-on forged aluminum components and a polymer plastic subframe. Thanks to the two-stroke engine the ground clearance is 60mm more that the 350 Freeride model. The air filter is under the seat (up front).

250freeEAR_TRANSMISSION_2362.jpg

The six-speed gearbox has shorter gear ratios than the 250EXC in the five lower gears, while sixth gear is extra-tall.
250rktm-right.jpg

KTM should import these bikes to America under the same system they uses with the Ryan Dungey Replica—as a limited-edition model in both 250R two-stroke and 350 four-stroke versions. There are enough KTM trail riding fans to support a small production run for the USA.

KTM DOES IT AGAIN: ALL-NEW 2014 KTM 250R TWO-STROKE TRAIL BIKE | News | KTM

I'm surprised to see that this Freeride 250R's OEM wheels are supplied by Giant, the Taiwanese bicycle mnfr.

I wasn't aware that Giant had recently started producing motorcycle rims/wheels. Does anyone have experience/feedback if these Giant wheels/rims are good value? As strong as Excel and DID?

Thanks for the feedback, Loop. Surprising that the KDX's exhaust port and power valve remains clean while the same 2-T oil clogged up the ZX150. Probably both engine temperatures were different most of their running time, with the KDX running hotter on the trails. Perhaps you used the ZX150 as your run-around-the-city 2-wheeler, riding most of the time at low revs, and hence not burning off the carbon crust. The KDX was probably one of the best trail/enduro bikes of its time. One of my brothers had several, and afterwards regretted selling the last one when he switched to CR250's

Anyone else wants to share their experience on the exhaust port and power valve clogging/cleaning issue?

That was exactly the case Jay. It was a good city bike and just launched to far too fast for city traffic when it got on the power but loved just using the low down torque and short changing it.

Rather porky? A full blown 2014 KTM EXC 250 weighs 101.9 kgs, making it only 7.4 kgs more porky then the Freeride. The 2014 Ossa 280 Explorer weighs 74 kgs which makes it 18.5kgs less porky than the Freeride or indeed 27.9 Kgs less than a 250 EXC.

Back
Top Bottom