2013 Honda CB 500 X - 440 km ride review

KTMphil

Bikes
2007 KTM 990 Adventure Suzuki DRZ 400
They'd been some disappointment batted around about the new Honda CB 500X, I managed to rent a brand new one the day it was delivered to Chiang Mai for a 440km test ride.

8575571549_fcd034bfec_b.jpg

First thing you notice is the strange, raised handlebars, almost like small "gorilla-hangers. To me the bars look dangerously weak being so long, thin and unsupported they are crying out for a lateral brace like motocross handle bars have, one drop with all that leverage and you'll bend them for sure. Saying that, the longer vertical distance of the handlebars create the perfect riding position, it's one of the most comfortable riding positions on a bike I've ever felt.

The second thing you notice is that the tab on the side stand is terrible near the left foot peg, with big boots its quite fiddly to get the side stand down around the foot peg.

8576658872_6e682aceda_b.jpg

Start up the CB 500 X, its incredibly quiet, noisy traffic you can't hear the engine. I didn't have the same problems with the foot gear selector that 2 wheels had, maybe his was set wrong from the factory. The clutch felt nice, it went into gear easily unlike the CBR 250.

For me, it has one of the worst seats I've ever experienced, almost as bad as the KTM 690 R. The foam is too hard, the edges of the seat are too narrow and dig into the tops of your legs just below your bum, that would be the first thing i changed for sure. The bike has a superb riding position, the combination of this and the bike balance makes it a joy in the corners. Experimented with leaning in (sports bike style) and leaning out (motard style), & a neutral lean seemed to be what the bike liked, Honda have done an amazing job with this bikes handling. You can really "place" the front wheel with confidence and that's where it will go, superb.

Power - the only BIG negative about this bike. If you drew a power graph from the Honda CB 250 to the Kawasaki Er6n, the Honda CB 500 X would be well below the line. Out of corners, just twisting the throttle, the bike is very disappointing for a 500 cc bike. Playing around with the RPM's the power kicks in at around 6,500 RPM, below that very boring with no torque. But I think the fantastic handling makes up for it, soon you're having so much confident fun in the corners the power deficiency doesn't seem so important.

Overall, I think this is a fantastic bike and amazing value for money, well done Honda.

8575570861_f4247f313c_b.jpg

Always interesting isn't it how two people can feel differently (in some areas) about the same bike?

1. yes, it would benefit from more seat padding.
I didn't notice the problem Phil had with its edges.

2. Phil didn't mention the wind-blasting issue I had via the screen, so maybe his was (somehow) set a bit higher or I am a bit taller.

And there are the first two improvements I'd make to the bike.

3. Yes agree, the side stand peg was a bit difficult to find wearing big boots.

4. Personally (two different riding styles?) I found the 47 bhp and 43 NM of torque quite adequate at all times and I did very little gear changing.

5. I did notice the wide bars (and I ride a CRF) and felt they added to the control and manoeuvrability.
Agree it would be a wise move to brace them 'just in case'; although I did hit some solid bumps and the bars remained true. Didn't drop the bike though!

6. Engine, gearbox, handling, price and economy are its strong points.

(I can't quite see if your bike had the Pirelli Scorpion Trails Phil)

Yes - i did notice the wind noise, but from riding 100's of thousands of Km's with a peaked enduro helmet its something I'm used to i suppose

Those tyres look pretty good. How does the bike handle on slippery surfaces that we see in northern Thailand at this time of year ?

Ally

Those tyres look pretty good. How does the bike handle on slippery surfaces that we see in northern Thailand at this time of year ?

Ally

I took one out with stock tires, there was a bit of oil around on the road here and there, rode it pretty hard through the corners and didn't have any issues.

Ally

Will the local rental places let these out to inexperienced riders? I'd think they might be a bit much for some?

You make a good point BF, I am just glad that Ron managed to keep things upright in his review.

However, i am sure we shall get some differernt perspectives from other experienced stunt riders amongst us.

Ally

Good one Phil. Probably the lack of power makes the handling seems 'better'. I feel the same way about my Integra.
Hope to post my Rider Impression here soon.

Back
Top Bottom