2013 300 2 stroke shootout

MastaMax

Bikes
19 ktm 300tpi 6 days / 15 Yamaha YZ250F / 08 Husky 450SMR / 13 ER6N / 13 KTM 300XCW(sold)
Not enough dirt bike talk lately, so there we go:

Edit: Looks like pictures are automatically resized by the forum, which makes them unreadable, so I uploaded them to imageshack in their original format and posted them as link:

page 1
page 2
page 3
page 4
page 5
page 6
page 7
page 8
page 9

p1.jpg

Thanks for slinging the dirt on the forum Max :RO

Wow, the Gasgas sounds like a reet pig, 30 lbs heavier than the KTM and shit suspension. Lucky Paul didnt get his after all :)

Sounds like a massive dissapointment all round.

Even my old KDX is quoted at 101kg....10kg lighter than the GG?

Total noob here, but thanks to Phil for welcoming me to RC and RA.net and pointing me in the right direction (to Ally's page with instructions) on how to insert images in a thread. So before attempting to write and post my first RR (about a very wet trip across Laos and into Vietnam), let's see if I manage to insert some photos in my very first post on RA.net.

For the few 2-T fans and enduro/trail riders on this forum who might appreciate the 'less is more' approach to bike design, as in 'less weight = more fun' (and certainly 'less fatigue' when riding technical trails), I thought KTM's newest addition to their Freerider range might be of interest.

The newly issued 2014 KTM Freeride 250 R (2-T) will never make it into next year's shoot-out since it's a 250cc and a trail bike, as it doesn't belong in the enduro league, but in terms of weight, its puny 92.5 kg (without gas) makes the hard core enduro two-strokes look rather porky...

This new addition to KTM's Freeride range might very well be right up the alley of what a lot of the more leisure-riding trail-exploring dirtriders are looking for.

Of course, super-fit bad-ass hardcore enduro riders like Bigntall, MastaMax, LUFC, JohnnySneds, KTMPhil, UKAlex, TheBigFella etc., may skip to the next thread, as the HP output of a Freeride 250 2-T will certainly be below their expectations and requirements.

What do you guys think?
082713-2014-ktm-freeride-250-r-06.jpg

ktm-freeride-250r-2014-1-620x350.jpg

082713-2014-ktm-freeride-250-r-05.jpg

ktm-freeride-250r-2014-4-620x350.jpg

082713-2014-ktm-freeride-250-r-11.jpg
The official KTM site's info page:

KTM Freeride 250 R 2014 - Highlights

KTM Freeride 250 R 2014

THE LIVELY ONE

Design 1-cylinder 2-stroke engine, water-cooled, with reed intake and exhaust control
Displacement 249 cm³
Starting aid Electric starter
Weight without fuel approx. 92.5 kg

The decision to add, of all things, a completely new two-stroke model to the brand new Freeride segment may seem strange – but only at first glance. And mostly to those who have not yet had the chance to enjoy the punch of a burly two-stroke within a light and agile off-road chassis. However, those who have had that pleasure know: Such an engine epitomises the kind of response you want from a FREERIDE, because after all, the hot, burning gases hit the piston twice as often. This means that even KTM's two-stroke enduros, designed for maximum power, churn out gut-wrenching torque from the low rev range in an absolutely glorious manner. And as the FREERIDE 250 R's engine, true to the Freeriding ideal, is designed not for maximum power, but for a pleasant torque response and optimum rideability, this is where the concept of enjoyable off-roading comes to full fruition.

Here's Motorcycle.com's article :

2014 KTM Freeride 250R - Two-Stroke Power in a 204-Pound Package » Motorcycle.com News

Welcome Jayem!

Glad the upload process worked ok, first time is always confusing as you don't know what to expect to happen. I wasn't aware of the 250 2-stroke Freeride being released, certainly sounds quite interesting, low seat & superlight will appeal to many I would have thought. Is this a newly designed engine or the existing 250 2-stroke engine?

Thanks for the great 1st post, very informative.

For me the light weight/high power output of a 2T just adds another dimension to dirt riding in the North here....plus i`ve only ever owned one 4T dirt bike and about a dozen 2T`s in my time so the mechanics/maintenance are more familiar/easy to me too.

Of course, super-fit bad-ass hardcore enduro riders like Bigntall, MastaMax, LUFC, JohnnySneds, KTMPhil, UKAlex, TheBigFella etc., may skip to the next thread, as the HP output of a Freeride 250 2-T will certainly be below their expectations and requirements.

What do you guys think?

I think you've been badly misled!! A less fit bunch of riders would be hard to find. Except for Max......

The 2T Freeride though looks excellent, I see they ditched the trials tyres and went with knobbies and at 92kg its pretty light.

Probably the 3rd best bike for N. Thailand after a 2T 300 and KTM 350...:RE

I think you've been badly misled!! A less fit bunch of riders would be hard to find. Except for Max......

The 2T Freeride though looks excellent, I see they ditched the trials tyres and went with knobbies and at 92kg its pretty light.

Probably the 3rd best bike for N. Thailand after a 2T 300 and KTM 350...:RE

Mmm perhaps although the more enlightened rider may still go for the Yamaha option As the KXF 450 lacks illumination .

Mmm perhaps although the more enlightened rider may still go for the Yamaha option As the KXF 450 lacks illumination .

??????????

Am I the only one here who is not seeing the light? :confused:

Is there anyone who can illuminate the darkness for this very unenlightened noob?

Videos that go with the review. KTM is still not there, will edit and add it when it comes out.

Husaberg

Beta

Christini

GasGas

And the last one, the KTM

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom