1948 Indian Chief For Sale

DrGMIA

Pit stop after 6th ride around the world, in USA,
Bikes
Oldest 1931, newest 2016, numerous makes and models in between on several continents
"The Indian Chief was a successful American made alternative to its rival Harley Davidson. The 1948 factory manufactured Chief was 100.5 inches in length and 40.5 inches wide. The height of this bike was 50.5 inches. The wheelbase of the 1948 Chief was 68.4 inches. This made for a sturdy machine equipped with a 74-cubic-inch V twin engine that was capable of 85 miles per hour and up to 100 mph when fully tuned."

The factory produced -0- in 1949. In 1950 the Chief went back into production, but at 1300 cc versus the 1948 model which was 1200 cc.

Mine has matching numbers (frame and engine). Fresh engine. Needs love and restoration. I will get it to Asia for the right buyer and price. This one is 95% original. The other 5% can be purchased in reproduction parts, nearly all from KIWI. The motorcycle is currently located in the USA.

Serious inquiries and PM only requested.

DR. G

Is this what it looks like?

oldcarimg361598187Indian_Chief_Motorcycles.jpg

The one you posted looks pretty close to mine. This ''48 Chief pictured is (was) a pretty good recent restoration. Mine comes with saddle bags, rear luggage rack and a "buddy seat," or seat big enough for two people. Mine does not have the white side wall tires, an option (which was a pain as the rear tire was soon black from the oil thrown off the rear chain - the engine breather dripped oil onto the the chain, an "automatic" chain oiler, which then threw the excess blackened oil onto the rear white wall on the left side). The rear exhaust pipe on this one does not look right, should be "fatter," and this pipe comes up too high on the rear shock. Minor points, but nice looking Indian Chief.

For your research effort as the king of the RA court I'll pay you as would a cyber jongleur, less the audio. Like a well tuned and running Indian Chief you can sign along as if a song:

Indian-Harley, Harley-Indian (an ode to Harley-Davidson and Indian Motorcycles)

Indian-Harley, Harley-Indian,
both were V-Twins.
I did not know which to buy,
until I heard this lullaby:

"You can't wear them out
an Indian Scout,
Or its brother,
the Chief.

They're built like rocks
to take the knocks.
It's the Harleys that
give you grief."

Copyright protected 1995 MOTORCYCLE POEMS

You want references just to make an enquiry?

Dude. It's just a motorbike!

Dude (Davevb, please pardon my usage of your vernacular):

I agree with you, in a limited sense.

To many motorbike owners and enthusiasts, a 1948 Indian Chief model motorcycle might be “just a motorbike.” Of course, to the less than 8,500 owners of the Indian Chief production run that year, I would submit we both may find many who strongly disagree with us.

My purpose in asking for references was to not have to deal with the uneducated, or Internet swindlers offering cashier checks, and generally the cyber tire kicker or some time wasting keyboard wankers. Better at expressing this was J. P. Morgan, an American businessman (April 17, 1837 – March 31, 1913) who famously opined: “If you have to ask how much it costs, you can’t afford it.” More bluntly, I could have simply stated, “Show me your money.”

Any individual, from a financially serious enthusiast or motorbike collector, within the cyber universe of http://www.rideasia.net, has been invited to make an appropriate inquiry.

To see how your implied way plays, I have deleted the request for references in the original posting above.

I most respectfully thank you for the professional and public redressing, while proffering your opinion that a 1948 Indian Chief is “just a motorbike.” Bowing down to pay homage for such, I offer the following, which could appear to be more than amphigory:

DUDE, IT’S JUST MOTORBIKEISM…… (Copyright 2011)

He who swears by the German motorbikes is said to have….Germanism

Those attesting to the fitness of the British motorbikes have….Britishism

The motorbike fanatic fond of Honda, Suzuki and Kawasaki has…..Japanism

The Brazilian who honors the first motorbike made in South America has….Amazonasism

That leaves “Made in America” which is, of course…..Americanism​

Regards,

Dr.GMIA
Author: INDIAN MOTORCYCLE INTERNATIONAL SUPPLIERS DIRECTORY (ISBN: 0-935151-21-4)

Lacking a "like" button....
Like2.jpg

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Classifieds 5