Captain_Slash

Community Manager
Bikes
BMW 310GS Honda Wave 125 Honda MSX 125
Distance 293 km
IMG_0491.JPG
I was out on the road by 7.40 and its a cool cloudy morning
IMG_0492.JPG
Just before Tha Wang Pha and the roads were soaked for a few km and with light rain too
IMG_0494.JPG
North of Chiang Klang and road widening is taking place, its not a pleasant ride from here onwards for quite a few km.
I promise myself if I am out of Laos in good time I will ride the lop through Bo Kluea back to Nan to avoid these roadworks twice in one day
IMG_0495.JPG

IMG_0496.JPG

IMG_0497.JPG
I stop at the Pon reservoir
IMG_0498.JPG

IMG_0499.JPG

IMG_0500.JPG

IMG_0501.JPG
This one is overflowing
IMG_0502.JPG

IMG_0503.JPG

IMG_0504.JPG

IMG_0505.JPG
My first experience of getting cold hands today and I was pleased to get to the border as it gave me a chance to warm up
IMG_0506.JPG
Just over the Laos border
IMG_0508.JPG
It looks a bit sunnier in Laos but I am not interested in going in.
I quickly get stamped out and return to the Thai Immigration where the Immigration officer points out my previous walk in stamps and tells me to look at the notice outside which says only two per calendar year.
Amusingly they are on the same page as my current METV which he fails to see, once I point this out to him I am quickly given a 60 day stamp
IMG_0509.JPG

IMG_0510.JPG

IMG_0511.JPG
Much better scenery as I carry on riding towards Bo Kluea
IMG_0512.JPG

IMG_0513.JPG

IMG_0514.JPG

IMG_0515.JPG

IMG_0516.JPG

IMG_0517.JPG

IMG_0518.JPG
I get off the main road about 100 metres to enjoy my lunch but this dirt track seems to have more traffic on it than the highway did
IMG_0519.JPG

IMG_0520.JPG

IMG_0521.JPG

IMG_0522.JPG
Not much futher along and its roadworks along here too with some wet slippery red shit as the surface on a long downhill section which was not fun, these roadworks also dragged on for a long way too.
Once past the road works and its a shitty pot holed surface for a while before returning to a better surface.
I used to enjoy this loop but today I certainly didnt and have no plans to do it again in the near future.
Out of all my bikes the KLX 250 was my best bike for this with its 21" front wheel and much better suspension
IMG_0523.JPG

IMG_0526.JPG

IMG_0527.JPG

IMG_0528.JPG

IMG_0529.JPG

IMG_0530.JPG

IMG_0531.JPG

IMG_0532.JPG
Evidence of lots of landslips along here today
IMG_0533.JPG

IMG_0534.JPG
Finally at about 2.30 it brightens up for a while
IMG_0535.JPG

IMG_0536.JPG
Today was my longest ride on the Wave with no ill effects and its definitely the most comfortable bike I have owned in Thailand
IMG_0537.JPG
Its the Mukata tonight with lots of mushrooms and spring onions
IMG_0539.JPG
And of course lots of bacon, all washed down with ice cream 139 Baht

Quote "I used to enjoy this loop but today I certainly didnt and have no plans to do it again in the near future.
Out of all my bikes the KLX 250 was my best bike for this with its 21" front wheel and much better suspension"

Hi Colin,

I'm sure it was a ball buster with only 2" of travel. I'm still am curious why you did not go with a KLX150 BF. 21" front wheel and decent suspension. Seems like a perfect match for you imho. Anyway, I always say the best bike for an adventure is the one you have :)

Happy trails
Jim

Thanks Colin. I have a German couple here at the moment who are planning to cross into Laos there. We did all the paperwork last night (another tree died for Thai/Laos bureaucracy) Good to hear it was an easy experience.

Thanks Colin. I have a German couple here at the moment who are planning to cross into Laos there. We did all the paperwork last night (another tree died for Thai/Laos bureaucracy) Good to hear it was an easy experience.
Ian I hope they are not planning on riding across as its not permitted there, I wasnt even allowed to ride my bike from the Thai side through no mans land to the Laos border

Quote "I used to enjoy this loop but today I certainly didnt and have no plans to do it again in the near future.
Out of all my bikes the KLX 250 was my best bike for this with its 21" front wheel and much better suspension"

Hi Colin,

I'm sure it was a ball buster with only 2" of travel. I'm still am curious why you did not go with a KLX150 BF. 21" front wheel and decent suspension. Seems like a perfect match for you imho. Anyway, I always say the best bike for an adventure is the one you have :)

Happy trails
Jim
Jim I personally found the suspension on the KLX 150 as crap, whilst Ohlins make a rear shock for it there is nothing to improve the front from anyone.
I have no interest in buying another carburettor bike, Kawasaki need to drag it into the 21st century before I would buy another one

Ian I hope they are not planning on riding across as its not permitted there, I wasnt even allowed to ride my bike from the Thai side through no mans land to the Laos border

They are keen to try there. We've equipped them with paperwork for there and Chiang Khong, and will reiterate our reasons to them....

Back
Top Bottom