114 BMW 1200 GS's coming to Chiang Mai for GS Trophy event

KTMphil

Bikes
2007 KTM 990 Adventure Suzuki DRZ 400
100 BMW 1200GS & 14x 1200 GS Adventure motorcycle will be on a container ship from Munich, Germany to Laem Chabang, Thailand for the fifth annual BMW Motorrad International GS Trophy competition.

Dates are
Feb. 28 to March 5, 2016 in the Chang Mai province in northern Thailand.

121115-bmw-gs-trophy-r1200gs-f-633x388.jpg

121115-bmw-gs-trophy-r1200gs-p90206580_highres-583x389.jpg

121115-bmw-gs-trophy-r1200gs-p90206588_highres-583x389.jpg

The organizers couldn't have chosen a better time of the year, right? Or perhaps the idea is to add extra challenges with poor visibility and cancerogenic air. Or will they hand out airfilter masks (with bmw logos ofcourse)? The marketing wonderboys at the Munich HQ are going to scratch their heads when they receive the photo's and video footage of the event. At least Touratech will see an opportunity to market their overpriced fog/smog lights on the back of this event.

Smog isn't showcased in the promotional video...

[video=youtube_share;okQiFhvMOu4]http://youtu.be/okQiFhvMOu4[/video]

The team representing South East Asia in this event was chosen from the participants in the GS Trophy Southeast Asia Qualifier which was part of the BMW Motorrad Days held at the Enduro Park Thailand. The South East Asia team will consist of 3 persons: Peerapat Woratham from Thailand, Mohd Faizal Sukree from Malaysia and Tommy Lee from Singapore.

A friend said they skipped the off-road from Chiang Dao to Pai yesterday and took the highway / R 1095!

A friend said they skipped the off-road from Chiang Dao to Pai yesterday and took the highway / R 1095!

That's a pity as the first pictures posted by your friend on FB showed that it might have been a bit challenging for a BMW

I met a group of them today in Mae Sariang out on the highway at the 7-11, one of them had broke his mirror and not a single tool with any of them, what has happened to the legendary BMW tool kit?
It was with great amusement that I got the KLX 140s humble tool kit out and lent him a 14mm spanner to fix his bike with.

I met a group of them today in Mae Sariang out on the highway at the 7-11, one of them had broke his mirror and not a single tool with any of them, what has happened to the legendary BMW tool kit?
It was with great amusement that I got the KLX 140s humble tool kit out and lent him a 14mm spanner to fix his bike with.

Hi,

you are so right. Was my tool kit on the 2011 GS Adventure already poor but now for the 2015 GS it is a joke.....You can even not take your own wheels out. Neighter is there a 22 Allen key for the front nor a 55 Torx for the rear.....a shame....

Greetings Andreas

footer.jpg

Hi, you are so right. Was my tool kit on the 2011 GS Adventure already poor but now for the 2015 GS it is a joke.....You can even not take your own wheels out. Neighter is there a 22 Allen key for the front nor a 55 Torx for the rear.....a shame.... Greetings Andreas

Every TYRE PLUGGING + TYRE REPAIR KIT (incl. compressor / inflators) or TOOL KIT that comes with any of my motorised vehicles gets replaced with my personal kit the instant the vehicle comes into my possession as most OEM vehicle kits are useless beyond belief. Besides SnapOn and Hazet (speciality tools) my personal favourite tools come from SATA = http://www.satatools.com.sg as they have a great warranty replacement in place over here in China and great tools to work with... nuff said'....

Hi,

you are so right. Was my tool kit on the 2011 GS Adventure already poor but now for the 2015 GS it is a joke.....You can even not take your own wheels out. Neighter is there a 22 Allen key for the front nor a 55 Torx for the rear.....a shame....

Greetings Andreas

View attachment 45553

I bought a BMW K75 in 1989 and with the tool kit that came with it back then you could virtually strip the bike apart and give it a full service, a very good tool kit came with them years ago but that sounds like a thing of the past

Day 5 of the GS Trophy event in Thailand

Day 6 of the GS Trophy event in Thailand

Not sure if the writers always know what they write - this is from CarBuyers Magazine (http://www.carbuyer.com.sg/bikes/958-gs-trophy-2016-controversy-brewing): CHAE SON, THAILAND — Day Six of the GS Trophy 2016 Southeast Asia produced the toughest but most rewarding riding of the week-long event, judging from the reactions of the riders. The day included a tough single-trail route through a part of the Ho Chi Minh trail with deep ruts, sections too narrow for the BMW R 1200 GS’ handlebars, and sections barely wider than the bikes’ tyres with cliff-like drop-offs on one side. A particularly tough hillclimb section also claimed its share of riders, thanks to jutting tree roots, slippery, powder-like dry soil and sharp turn angles.

Great bit of fun... but not exactly the way to ride Asia, eh? No luggage... willing helpers there to pick you up when you fall over.... and leaving out the gnarly stuff.

Not exactly the Camel Trophy, Just one big advertisement/sales Pitch for the 'King of Adventure Bikes' . I understand they took the Highway on the first day due to a bit of Rain. A couple of friends went down to try to find them , one a BMW Owner and they where ushered out of the Car park, Not welcome.

I guess they would have gotten in the way of the slick production.

Fun nonetheless

GS TROPHY 2016 SOUTHEAST ASIA FINAL STANDINGS

Rank Country Points

1 SouthAfrica 299
2= Germany 268
2= UK 268
4 CEEU* 254
5 LatinAmerica 244
6 Brazil 242
7 China 234
8 USA 229
9 France 208
10 Italy 200
11 Argentina 188
12 Mexico 181
13 Russia 180
14 Canada 176
15 SouthKorea 146
16= Japan 138
16= SoutheastAsia 138
18 Alps** 117
19 International Female Team 116

On the 2nd from last night 1 old member from RA decided to find the Camp site at Chae son and hopefully ride the last day with the BMW bikes on his CRF ?
All went to plan , he found the camp and was allowed to roam all over the camp site meeting and talking to all the teams and then an epic ride with a group of the BMW riders

Sitting at the back of the group eating all the dust from the leading riders the CRF was Able to keep up with the pack
With the knowledge he rode with the best from all over the world ??

Photo's in no particular order

Attachments

• IMG_0591.jpg
    IMG_0591.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 252
  • IMG_0592.JPG
    IMG_0592.JPG
    169.9 KB · Views: 412
  • IMG_0607.JPG
    IMG_0607.JPG
    163.5 KB · Views: 386
  • IMG_0608.JPG
    IMG_0608.JPG
    153 KB · Views: 340
  • IMG_0609.JPG
    IMG_0609.JPG
    148.7 KB · Views: 352
  • IMG_0618.JPG
    IMG_0618.JPG
    190.1 KB · Views: 371
  • IMG_0619.jpg
    IMG_0619.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG_0622.jpg
    IMG_0622.jpg
    255.3 KB · Views: 248
  • IMG_0625.jpg
    IMG_0625.jpg
    215.3 KB · Views: 252
  • IMG_0629.jpg
    IMG_0629.jpg
    269.4 KB · Views: 264
  • IMG_0630.JPG
    IMG_0630.JPG
    151.2 KB · Views: 370

Sitting at the back of the group eating all the dust from the leading riders the CRF was Able to keep up with the pack
With the knowledge he rode with the best from all over the world ??

Photo's in no particular order

Hi,

I would say it's the other way around: You have to be very, very skilled to keep up with a 250 cc dirt bike on a 250 kg GS.....I have no chance to follow a dirt bike on my GS on lose gravel or sand tracks....but I have paid the baby by my self and therefore I am a bit more carefully if I come off-road because all damages if I throw her away are on me.... The whole event goes anyhow to the last extent what is possible with the GS....I believe a small group of riders only will do similar things with der private GS. You get a KLX 450 for 6000 to 7000 Euro in D that is a quarter of the price of the GS and with 125 kg and around 50 hp it is the double fun....

Greetings Andreas
footer.jpg

Back
Top Bottom