A side trip to the Phu Tok area

Lone Rider

Blokes Who Can
Bikes
4 Wheels
Wat Hua Chang and Wat Phu Tok

Had a few spare days before heading again to Laos and decided that, on my way to Laos, I would have a look at Wat Phu Tok which I had been reading about some time ago. Actually there are a few Phu Tok areas in the North East of Thailand like Phu Tok mountain near Chiang Khan but the Phu Tok I wanted to have a look at is located near Buengkan which happens to be one of the border crossing points between Thailand and Laos. So of it was and with a few coffee and chat stops in Lampang with my good friend Theo and in Khon Kaen with Ivo (Chang Noi) who gave me some good hints on Wat Phu Tok, I went in search of the temple which is draped along a sandstone mountain.

As usual, along my travels I often stop at other places as well and this time I found along the Mitthaphap Highway (Highway 2) hundreds if not thousands of elephants in all sizes and colors. Actually there are also other animals represented like zebras, cows, horses as well as other statues, etc. However, these are completely outnumbered by the elephants. I haven't been able to figure out why all these elephants are here other than that donating an elephant to the Pho Pu Kham Hua Chang Shrine (N16.65639 E102.80010) is considered to give good luck.

IMG_9340.jpg

IMG_9335.jpg

IMG_9337.jpg

HuaChangsmallelephants.jpg

IMG_9345.jpg

IMG_9346.jpg

HuaChangElephantwithsugarcane.jpg

HuaChangArmy.jpg

To be continued

Wat Phu Tok

After a good evening in Buengkan I set of early morning in search of Wat Phu Tok (coordinates N18.13272 E103.88135). Wat Phu Tok is also known as Wat Chetiya Khiri Wihan and in fact it was not really difficult to find as it is only about 40 km south-east of Buengkan and the temple can be reached by paved roads. What I did not know is that the area is a real water land with lots of lakes and reservoirs

IMG_9353.jpg
IMG_9354.jpg

Not sure if these palmoil trees will survive while standing in water
IMG_9358.jpg
IMG_9441.jpg

IMG_9359.jpg

My first sight of Phu Tok on which the the temple is located. The rock can be see on the left side of the picture and probably formed part of the whole ridge extending to the north (right)

But first a bit of background info on Wat Phu Tok (source: Wat Phu Tok : Website, Map & Magazine forum)

Wat Phu Tok is a sandstone outcrop that rises, impressively, 200 meters into the sky out of the surrounding plain. Access to the top is gained by climbing a series of wooden steps that have been driven into the side of the outcrop. However the construction of this stair way is not just simply to allow access to the summit it is also a physical representation of the Buddhist spiritual belief of the 7 steps to enlightenment. There are 6 wooden stages and the 7th. and final stage involves scrambling up the rocks to reach the reasonably flat surface of the summit.

The first three stages are a climb through the surrounding trees and are relatively easy although slippery if wet. The fourth level actually takes you through a passage within the rock to level five which ends in a cave containing images of Buddha. The caves floor is smooth and there is a wooden gallery at the front of the cave that offers a spectacular view over the plains below and of Laos in the distance. Also you can see a twin outcrop to the one you are climbing, but this one is uninhabited. In the gallery of level 5 there is also a glass case which contains the skeleton of a young man who is said to have died from cancer in his twenties and gifted his remains to the site to remind visitors of the impermanence of life. The final scramble over rocks takes you to the summit where it is possible to walk along overgrown paths through thick forests.

The site is currently home to about 50 monks who live there because the solitude and tranquility of the site aids their meditation. Monastic kùtì (meditation huts) are scattered around the mountain, in caves and on cliffs. So it is necessary to dress and act as if you were in a Temple, even when climbing and viewing. The site was created by the famous meditation master Ajahn Juan, a disciple of the fierce Ajahn Man who died in 1949.

34_Ajahn-Juan.jpg
04_Ajahn-Mun.jpg

Ajahn Juan left and Ajahn Man at the right - Copyright pictures of Ajahn Man and Ajahn Juan - Forest Tradition | Vimutti Buddhist Monastery

Ajahn Juan saw the construction as a form of meditation. Tragically he died in a plane crash in 1980 along with several other highly revered forest monks who were flying to Bangkok for an individual's birthday celebration. In his honor an individual had a mausoleum built at the base of the site to commemorate Ajahn Juan's life and works. This mausoleum contains some of Ajahn Juan's possessions and bones.​

By the way, foreigners are no longer allowed to stay overnight here, as one couple "acted improperly" and Wat Phu Tok is closed every year during the Thai New Year (Pii Mai) from 10-16 April probably to prevent drunk people falling down - or as someone on a forum said: Don't go when p!$$ed as it might become a scary place.

IMG_9360.jpg

The mausoleum which contains some of Ajahn Juan's bones and possessions

Wat Phu Tok
WatPhuTok.jpg

Climbing the first three levels is relatively easy as there are wooden staircases which lead up the mountain till you reach level four which is a rocky outcrop with meditation kutis built along its sides. Actually you can bypass level 4 as there is a very steep staircase going up to level 5 with a short horizontal section but this is not for the faint-hearted.

IMG_9363.jpg
IMG_9365.jpg
IMG_9368.jpg

The staircase to the left leads to Level 4 while the one to the right bypasses level 4 and this "junction" is signposted as "Easy" and "Difficult".
IMG_9367.jpg

In fact there are quite a few different ways of going up to the next levels which is probably done to prevent that people get stuck on the mountain in case there are problems.

Several options on going up or down the rock
IMG_9379.jpg

Problems do happen from time to time - here a falling rock has destroyed a small staircase going up to one of the kutis
IMG_9403.jpg

IMG_9369.jpg

Meditation kutis at level 4

IMG_9374.jpg

Lots of bee-hives sticking to the rock at level 4

IMG_9377.jpg

IMG_9376.jpg

IMG_9375.jpg

Views from Level 4

IMG_9409.jpg

IMG_9406.jpg

Staircase from level 3 to Level 5 with a short intermediate horizontal part clinging to the rock

WatPhuTokLookingdownatLevel4fromtherockthroughpassJeremyHolton.jpg

To go to Level 5 from Level 4 you go through a natural passage through the rocks (picture copyright Jeremy Holton)

IMG_9413.jpg

IMG_9407.jpg

IMG_9392.jpg

IMG_9389.jpg

Once at Level 5 you reach Wat Phu Tok which is located inside a kind of cave in the rock

Inside the cave there is a skeleton inside a glass case
IMG_9388.jpg

IMG_9390.jpg

A picture of Ajahn Juan at the temple in the cave on Level 5

IMG_9398.jpg

WatPhuTokStairtoLevel6.jpg

Stairs going up from Level 5 to Level 6. I did not make it up to Level 6 as my lungs just could not take it any more as I have chronic bronchitis which has drastically reduced the capacity of my lungs.

IMG_9432.jpg
IMG_9431.jpg
IMG_9401.jpg

I did make it though to the Kuti on a rock outcrop at level 5 but once there, I went back down which took about 20 minutes while going up to level 5 did take me just under an hour.

Just some random pictures of Wat Phu Tok - Meditation kuti at the top of a rocky outcrop at Level 5 and the walkways at level 5 and level 6
WatPhuTokRockyOutcropUdonMap.jpg

WatPhuTokLevel5and6.jpg

Pictures copyright Graham Taylor / Udon Map

WatPhuTokHopethatitwillbearmyweight.jpg

IMG_9402.jpg

IMG_9404.jpg

IMG_9396.jpg

IMG_9417.jpg

Back
Top Bottom